Anyone blow a head gasket before? I think I did...

BLK93GT

Established Member
A few weeks ago my car started acting up, misfire cylinder 5 then random. A day or two before this I filled up with some ethanol free 91 octane, I usually run 10% 93. Car ran fine, then I went to leave my uncle's and stepped on it and the car just bogged bad. I drove it home and it was fine unless I got into boost and it had a miss. I try adding some 93 to no avail. I changed the plugs and even tried changing the #5 coil. It got worse and threw misfire on #6 and 7 too. The coolant temp went to 233* idling and I shut the car down. The plugs look nasty. I'll upload some photos. I opened my coolant reservoir and it has bubbles in it which is typical in my experience with a blown headgasket. The expansion tank gets HOT too, I'm guessing from the exhaust gasses gettin into the cooling system. The car runs horrible I took it up the road the other day after the plugs with no luck.

Car is stock other than shifter and mufflers.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I blew a head gasket. Run a compression test on it. It's usually not multiple cylinders. Mine was between 7 and 8.

Headgasket_zps46d50739.jpg

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
Dang, thats some bad luck. Try doing a compression test to see what I think its a blown head gasket. And leaks around the heads or coolant in your oil?

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Check the dip stick...if its milkshake you popped a gasket....also if your pissing coolant out of the resevoir under boost thats a headgasket also.

BLK93GT

Established Member
I had a ton of experience with blown headgaskets in my pushed 5.0 days haha. Basically acting like they did with the pressure in the reservoir bubbling the coolant. I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow night probably. I'm glad the car is stock with warranty! Otherwise I'd be screwed.

No coolant in oil or vise versa which is a good thing.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Sorry to hear this. I hope it is something simple but it doesn't sound good. I knew you had an 11-12 Gt500 as soon as I saw the thread title. The last month or so I have read about a few head gaskets letting go and all of them were aluminum block GT500's.

Shelbysteve

Established Member
Just wondering. How does a stock shelby pop a gasket? That has to be a factory flaw. The good thing is, your 5/60 power train will cover it!!!

Hope all works out.

nxhappy

Established Member
symptoms would be low compression in one or a couple of cylinders.

white smoke from exhaust

milky looking oil

good luck !

BLK93GT

Established Member
I had a ton of experience with blown headgaskets in my pushed 5.0 days haha. Basically acting like they did with the pressure in the reservoir bubbling the coolant. I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow night probably. I'm glad the car is stock with warranty! Otherwise I'd be screwed.

No coolant in oil or vise versa which is a good thing.

nxhappy

Established Member
I don't think it's your HG buddy:

A code P0430 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
•The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
•An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
•There is an exhaust leak

A code P0305 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
•Faulty spark plug or wire
•Faulty coil (pack)
•Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
•Faulty fuel injector

Either your cat is out or the o2 sensors

your plugs look RICH because the car is dumping fuel due to the o2 sensors

Or the cat is out and she is running rich

Last edited:

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
You say your car is stock, but your signature lists WOT box. Could this have caused the problem?

BLK93GT

Established Member
You say your car is stock, but your signature lists WOT box. Could this have caused the problem?

If I had used the 2 step over time for sure. But I never used that feature and barely used the WOT part. It was my 1st try at solving the 1-2 shift issue and it didn't help so I stopped using it. I have been meaning to remove it and sell it actually.

nxhappy

Established Member
I think the cat is plugged on that side, but the coolant bubbles have me a little worried

get rid of those shitty cats. Buy a H or X pipe. If that doesn't work swap out the o2 sensors. I am almost positive your head gasket is fine. Your spark plugs tell me the system is running way rich (dumping fuel due to bad cats or o2s)

BLK93GT

Established Member
get rid of those shitty cats. Buy a H or X pipe. If that doesn't work swap out the o2 sensors. I am almost positive your head gasket is fine. Your spark plugs tell me the system is running way rich (dumping fuel due to bad cats or o2s)

Warranty, bringing it to the dealers next week hopefully. 8yr or 80k miles on emissions equipment I believe. Glad I left the car alone.

Users who are viewing this thread