Anyone break a shifter bracket bolt??

chadder1313

Established Member
Well it just happened. Wondering if its even a bolt or a stud welded on the bottom of car? What would be the best way to fix this?

Kyle55R

Established Member
I didn't break one, but I did notice that they looked replaceable while installing my shifter. If you remove the center console/shift boot insert you can see that there is a nut holding it on from the inside of the car. Put the car in 4th, take off the shift knob. Open the lid for the storage compartment. Lift the back end of the insert up and pull the up and towards the back of the car. I seem to remember that there is sound deadening clipped onto the top of the studs with round black clips.

scott_0

Established Member
Ive heard its a stud thats welded on, really gotta be careful how much you torque on em

chadder1313

Established Member
Yeah it really didn't take to much to snap one right off. Oh well, time to tear the console out and tackle this thing. Might as well buy a shifter for it!

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
Did You snap one of the shifter bracket studs? Cause if that's the case I sheared both off somehow and I ended up have to drill through top through the snapped stud and replaced them with hardened steel bolts

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
No I have'nt had the displeasure. If the bolt is welded and broke its likely defective! No way you could break it by the sheer force of shifting!

Last edited:

chadder1313

Established Member
No I broke one off when I was putting a Barton shift bracket in the car. I went a little further with the nut than I should have. I post pics this weekend when I get to fixing this. 5.0 KenneB how difficult was it to drill those studs out?

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
It wasn't to difficult you just got to make sure that you get right over it. I just got lucky the first try. Also I'm not saying its the correct way to fix it haha but when it happens to me I couldn't find anybody that had the same problem. I even brought it to Ford and they didn't even know how they would fix it and I wasn't going to pay for the labor to play around with it!!!! As far as hardware I used grade 8 bolts

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Or you could spend 5k and get the magnum trans kit from jpc and have the shifter mounted right to the trans. Then no more worrying about the crappy shifter ford made.

chadder1313

Established Member
Shoot if I had 5k just to drop right now there would be a Paxton under the hood. But yeah I can imagine it can't be to terribly hard to figure out.

Users who are viewing this thread