Anyone build a "powerpipe" for a Procharger?

Erich

Established Member
Been looking into this. Copying designs-the anderson one uses a big rubber or silicon 4 inch elbow. Others use a 90 degree 4 inch tube. All then use a 4 inch 45 degree bend down into the fenderwell.

Looks like it will stick up a bit and the hood will need trimming under it (even the anderson with the rubber tube says that).

It looks like the sharper you can make that 90 degree turn the easier it will be to fit. 6 inch radius 90s are easy to get. summit sells a 5 inch radius in aluminized steel. However for basically the same price you can get polished aluminum 6 inch radius. I am leaning that way. Just wondering how much I will have to persuade the underside of the pipe if I cut the hood.
Erich

mustanginky

Established Member
I'm currently making one for mine. it's a P1 on a 2v. I had an anderson and when my engine popped i sold the powerpipe. the one i'm making is 4" 90* (not sure on the radius) to be honest I was driving and saw a 4" 90* on the side of the road and picked it up to use for this. I just cut it to where it will fit on the PC inlet. Honestly you could just get 4" straight pipe and a 45* and use a 90* rubber elbow off the PC head unit.

PM fastback Brian over on modularfords.com he has made his own Powerpipe for a P1 and it looks pretty good. How far are you wanting it to go into the fender?

I'll post pics of mine up as I get it finished up, I just haven't had time to really work on it in awhile.

Helomech74

Established Member
Here is a pic of mine:

DSC00288.gif

Pretty basic. I used a 3.5" silicon coupler, and 3.5" piping. I used 1 45 degree pipe, and 1 90 degree pipe. I cut and trimmed them to fit as needed, and topped it off with a 9"x3.5" AEM Driflow filter. It works perfect, and looks a million times better then the POS procharger parts.

Erich

Established Member
That looks great.
I want to use 4 inch-which may be a little more cumbersome
Do you get any tubing collapse on the silicone?
the 90 degree is angling the filter forward?
Erich

allgo90

Established Member
i had problems with the rubber pipe coming off the blower, heres mine now
DSC02730.jpg

TClark22

Established Member
made one for mine. its a 4inch 90* silicone elbow then 4in aluminum to another 90 going through the hole we cut there attaching to the maf and the a 90ish* attaching to the filter

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I saw Helomech74's custom made powerpipe in person. It couldnt get any better. You should take his advice because that powerpipe looks better than something off the shelf imo...

Helomech74

Established Member
That looks great.
I want to use 4 inch-which may be a little more cumbersome
Do you get any tubing collapse on the silicone?
the 90 degree is angling the filter forward?
Erich

There is zero collapse on the silicone coupler. It is a nice thich 4ply piece that is reinforced, so it doesn't collapse at all.

I could have angled the 90 degree pipe forward, but the filter is so big that it won't fit facing that way, so it just angles straight down. If I would have went with the 5" long filter it would have fit facing forward.

I went with the 3.5" piping because of space limitations. Also, the 3.5" silicone coupler off the blower fits better then a 4". The Procharger inlet is 3.75", so the 3.5" coupler fits nice and snug. If you want to do a 4" pipe set up I would at least use a 4" to 3.5" 90 degree silicone coupler so that it fits snug off the blower inlet.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have wanted to build my own also. But were do you get all the stuff to make it at?

I would imagine any kind of metal shop would have what you're looking for. You could probably even use exhaust tubing. The couplers can be ordered online, but I'm not sure of a good place for that.

Hotrodvdog

Established Member
Here is a pic of mine:

DSC00288.gif

Pretty basic. I used a 3.5" silicon coupler, and 3.5" piping. I used 1 45 degree pipe, and 1 90 degree pipe. I cut and trimmed them to fit as needed, and topped it off with a 9"x3.5" AEM Driflow filter. It works perfect, and looks a million times better then the POS procharger parts.

Is that a Procharger supplied throttle body coupler? I need something similar to yours.

Helomech74

Established Member
Is that a Procharger supplied throttle body coupler? I need something similar to yours.

No it's not. I redid all the intercooler piping up to the Throttle body and swapped to a different MAF. The coupler is from Hellion. It's pricey, but it was the only one I could find that was correct.

Erich

Established Member
There is zero collapse on the silicone coupler. It is a nice thich 4ply piece that is reinforced, so it doesn't collapse at all.

I could have angled the 90 degree pipe forward, but the filter is so big that it won't fit facing that way, so it just angles straight down. If I would have went with the 5" long filter it would have fit facing forward.

I went with the 3.5" piping because of space limitations. Also, the 3.5" silicone coupler off the blower fits better then a 4". The Procharger inlet is 3.75", so the 3.5" coupler fits nice and snug. If you want to do a 4" pipe set up I would at least use a 4" to 3.5" 90 degree silicone coupler so that it fits snug off the blower inlet.

Thats a good idea going from 3.5 to 4 on the 90 degree. That 3.5 will be spread open anyway. 4 inch on a 3.75 is going to be loose.
Erich

CMEmach1

Established Member
I made my own power pipe a while back. I used a 4" pipe I found at work. I think it's a piece of exhaust pipe from a Mack Truck. It had the right bend in the middle and then I welded up a short piece on the end for the mass air meter to attach to. I had to reinforce the rubber elbow as it sucked in against the SC rotor once. Seems to work well. I would post a pic but "I'm NOT allowed" to post pics....sooooooo stupid!

Erich

Established Member
Going to try the aluminum tubing route. 4 inch tubing with a 3.75 inch coupler from the 90 degree to the blower. The plan is to get the air filter to stick straight into the fenderwell. I also ordered a 45 degree bend and a foot of straight.
Erich

80blue

Established Member
Im *trying* the same thing on my car,ive got the 3.5-4'' and i found about a 1 1/2' section of 4'' pipe at work (also prob from a semi) but its not going to clear a damn thing unless i cut and weld or something. So for the time being i just ordered one of those gay foam air filters and im just going to pop it on the end of the blower.

I know that the power pipe on my friends cobra is a damn tight fit even with cutting the fan shroud so im trying to figure out something different to do for my car. Also i dont need the pipe to go into the fender at all (as in theres no damn way possible it will on my car haha) so i dont know maybe ill just buy something close to what i need so i can still have the cone and the 4'' pipe.

Erich

Established Member
I have an 03/04 cobra radiator in there. I will have to cut off the top aluminum part and modify the bracket almost for sure. It is also a given that I will cut some material out of the inside of my hood. Already had to do that to get my GT hood to close over the cobra intake.
Ordered my stuff from http://www.verociousmotorsports.com yesterday, already delivered (DE to MD). I like their price on US made T-bolt clamps....I am changing out all my nasty worm clamps at the same time as building this stuff.
Erich

2SLO2RCE

search you shall find
Established Member
alot of awesome info on this. i have the anderson power pipe on my d1 set up and have been wanting to redo the nasty plastic upper piece. sweet set up helomech!!!

Users who are viewing this thread