Anyone carpenters/woodworkers?

4.698gt

Established Member
Just wondering if any of SVTP has any interest in woodworking/carving/lathe turning ect. I just myself back into wood turning on a lathe. My father does woodworking as a hobby and makes some really great stuff. He got me into lathe turning when I was younger and fished alot more. Back then I used to make my own lures. Lately I have looked into making smaller jewelry. Just bought a couple of hammer kits to turn a handle for and I think they came out pretty good for something I haven't done in 8+ years.
20190512_163620.jpg

CV355

_
Established Member
I am not skilled in woodworking, but I have a huge appreciation for it. My father in law is getting into woodworking quite extensively. My grandfather spent most of his retirement doing woodworking before he passed away. It's neat to see the techniques and methods used to make even the simplest things.

I really enjoy watching the composite work, like poured epoxy over live edge, or inlays. I really love nice inlay work.

You might like these:
USAKnifeMaker.com
https://www.woodcraft.com/

And of course no talk about woodworking is complete without mentioning guitars...
PRS PS# 2926 Great Horned Owl

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
My dad loves it. He's made several large pieces for me, and the other kids in our family. He enjoys the fabrication process, and just as importantly, likes all of us to have things by which to remember him when he passes, beyond just our memories.

I've helped him on many projects. Though, if I'm being honest, I have little skill beyond the basics. I can certainly appreciate how hard it is, though.

4.698gt

Established Member
My dad loves it. He's made several large pieces for me, and the other kids in our family. He enjoys the fabrication process, and just as importantly, likes all of us to have things by which to remember him when he passes, beyond just our memories.

I've helped him on many projects. Though, if I'm being honest, I have little skill beyond the basics. I can certainly appreciate how hard it is, though.

I have helped my father with many of his projects both big and small. After the Mrs and I bought our first house I drew up a plan(with his help) on my entertainment center for our living room. We ended making it together and bought up good hardware for it. I think it came out excellent. It's a solid oak top with a oak face frame. I attached 2 steel 1/2" rod and attached a TV mount to it. It's one of the pieces I don't think I'll ever getting rid of. We moved it one day and knackered a front corner up but one of these days I'll go about repairing it.
20190513_190549.jpg

Here's a ring I made last night for my boss also.
20190513_191653.jpg

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
An amature to say the least. Built this base to go around my wobbly garage sink, our bed, spare bed, planter boxes for my wife, TV stand, challenge coin desk.....about it.

Attachments

• erty.jpg
    erty.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 179
  • desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 178

Machdup1

Established Member
I am not skilled in woodworking, but I have a huge appreciation for it. My father in law is getting into woodworking quite extensively. My grandfather spent most of his retirement doing woodworking before he passed away. It's neat to see the techniques and methods used to make even the simplest things.

I really enjoy watching the composite work, like poured epoxy over live edge, or inlays. I really love nice inlay work.

You might like these:
USAKnifeMaker.com
https://www.woodcraft.com/

And of course no talk about woodworking is complete without mentioning guitars...
PRS PS# 2926 Great Horned Owl

I used to build furniture, but got out of it about 10 years ago. But I do appreciate when others do something interesting. One of the guys at work did this for his mom:

4ad2cffbe9da0274dc4fb141fd7d1b88.jpg

He got the nod of approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
I do enjoy doing a little wood butchering from time to time. No pics on my phone but I have made one of those tailgate benches out of cedar, and a bar top from birds eye maple, a porch swing from rough cut cedar. The latest was a coat rack from a rough cut 4x4 for my Mom for Christmas. Used antique brass hooks, a fence post top, and a wire basket at the bottom to toss umbrellas or whatever in. Turned out pretty nice, she loved it!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I can't do much beyond nailing some pieces together and making a box for something. My grandfather was really into it. He even made a rocking horse and a rocking motorcycle for my kids when they were younger. Those are stored away for the next generation. But he had to stop because he had a heart valve transplant a couple years ago and is now on blood thinners. One cut could end it for him.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Patience.
Watch some Woodsmith Shop. They have some cool projects. Good beginners stuff is making a box or a shelf.
You can do a lot with a compound miter saw and some chisels and spade bits.

roadracer247

Established Member
Patience.
Watch some Woodsmith Shop. They have some cool projects. Good beginners stuff is making a box or a shelf.
You can do a lot with a compound miter saw and some chisels and spade bits.

Thanks!! I’ll look into all of that! I can really geek out over these kind of projects.

By the way, you know you’re getting older when you’re excited about spending a Sunday evening in your recliner watching the Monaco Grand Prix, while looking up information on wood working! All while your wife is outta town visiting her dad and she took the kids. So you got the place to yourself.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I wanna start wood working. Any advice for a beginner with basic tool skills from being a Fireman? Tools needed to start? Good first project?

Depends. How's your time, money, and space?

Starting out, I would recommend joining a woodworkers club. A lot of big cities have them for a minimal monthly/yearly fee. That way you have access to and can use a variety of equipment/tools to see what you like, can afford, etc.

See something simple you want to build? Do the research and go from there. Have fun with it. Woodworking is a very personalized hobby, like cars. That's what makes it fun!

I've made a bunch of stuff, some of it even turned out - haha! Made this years ago:
IMG_4478.jpg

Our son recently got involved with woodworking. He watched a ton of videos about wood lathes then bought one. He's made some really neat stuff. You don't need "a lot" of room, but it's kinda messy, like most woodworking. Wood lathes are very cool!

These are duck calls he turned form white oak. It's oak from Favre's backyard when they lived at 3071 Gothic Court in Green Bay. Bought the plastic reeds online and had the laces laser etched.

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 7.29.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 7.29.21 AM.png

Rocklers is a good source for woodworking equipment, not sure how close one is to you...
Rockler Retail Store & Independent Reseller Locations

Good luck!

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My wife asked for a guest bed to be made. She wanted a simple rustic queen farmhouse bed. We then painted it bright white, distressed it, used a stain maker on parts of it, brushed a cup of coffee on it to age it and then cleared it. View attachment 1575933

Attachments

• 61015876_10157093266805928_6734518985099837440_n.jpg
    61015876_10157093266805928_6734518985099837440_n.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 61013922_10157093272965928_3453730661825773568_n.jpg
    61013922_10157093272965928_3453730661825773568_n.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

4.698gt

Established Member
Made a few pens and assembled one is assembled from my parents tree branch that fell. I believe it's oak and the other two are maple. Everything finished with thin set superglue

20220114_113103.jpg

Attachments

• 20220114_113117.jpg
    20220114_113117.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220114_113132.jpg
    20220114_113132.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 58

BittenInBama

Established Member
Not a woodworker by any means but appreciate the skill & craft of those that are.
Was always fascinated by the skill of the guy on The Woodwright's Shop on PBS. He used no power tools of any kind. Cool stuff

4.698gt

Established Member
Would love to try a guitar project one day. Maybe when I have some more room. Looks awesome

Users who are viewing this thread