Anyone done a ls swap in a new edge?

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
The main reason im keeping my k member is bc i got it off here for a steal..i bought the whole kit a arms and coil overs for $250 haha shipped!

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
im gonna go to the track and find all the 7 digit cars....tell them there shit would be weak as **** if they took their turbos off

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
You guys that are hating on the idea are the typical ford guys..think that ford is god...and heads that cost 2 grand? you take stock 899 heads and port and polish them..a company called tic performance made 425 rwhp on a true "cam only" ls1 ...with the typical build with a cam, headers, and intake, and all the little small things like push rods and lifters they make 450-475 rwhp all day

you know theres all motor 4Vs out there that make more power rite?
but who the **** cares :shrug:

leave the excuses at home
my setup has a purpose and taht is to be a daily driver that runs like stock and can go on a 50 mile cruise while being the fastest in the group and not rely on a bottle

bitch blower all you want, where would you NA setup be without an aftermarket top end?

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
you know theres all motor 4Vs out there that make more power rite?
but who the **** cares :shrug:

leave the excuses at home
my setup has a purpose and taht is to be a daily driver that runs like stock and can go on a 50 mile cruise while being the fastest in the group and not rely on a bottle

bitch blower all you want, where would you NA setup be without an aftermarket top end?

Lol the fact of the 4v is that it costs so much more to build than a LS1..and the onlything aftermarket is a intake a carb and a cam, stock for stock LS1 will out dog a 2v any day or a 4v for that matter

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
Lol the fact of the 4v is that it costs so much more to build than a LS1..and the onlything aftermarket is a intake a carb and a cam, stock for stock LS1 will out dog a 2v any day or a 4v for that matter

so you mean to tell me a motor with 100 more cubes will make more power?
no wayyyyy

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
A stock LS1 makes 365 hp if im not mistaken...what does a stock 99 cobra make? 300?

both your numbers are off
but whats it matter anyways?

your talking about shit you dont even have
the money im spening on my build i could do the one you want, TWICE :burn:

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
both your numbers are off
but whats it matter anyways?

your talking about shit you dont even have
the money im spening on my build i could do the one you want, TWICE :burn:

So why would you waste money on building what you are building then and build something twice as fast if you can build mine twice... Common sence..get the f*ck off my thread

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
So why would you waste money on building what you are building then and build something twice as fast if you can build mine twice... Common sence..get the f*ck off my thread

how would the 450hp setup your building be twice as fast as mine?
im shooting for 150 in the 1/4 with a DD 6 speed

edit - meant to say that you dream of building lol

Last edited:

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
how would the 450hp setup your building be twice as fast as mine?
im shooting for 150 in the 1/4 with a DD 6 speed

edit - meant to say that you dream of building lol

im saying for the money you are throwing into your 2v or whatever the hell it is you could have a ls1 twice as nasty an ls1 would get you to 150 mph before a 2v..steve shrader where i buy a lot of my parts from for my mod motor has a 930 rwhp 2v that was competing in KOTS competition this year..his speed was 143...at 150 you need a parachute why dd a car that requires a parachute?

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
im saying for the money you are throwing into your 2v or whatever the hell it is you could have a ls1 twice as nasty an ls1 would get you to 150 mph before a 2v..steve shrader where i buy a lot of my parts from for my mod motor has a 930 rwhp 2v that was competing in KOTS competition this year..his speed was 143...at 150 you need a parachute why dd a car that requires a parachute?

your very ignorant
and 700hp is enough for 143

also why dd a car that could require a chute....BECAUSE I CAN
lets see your lsx swap do that :bash:

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
your very ignorant
and 700hp is enough for 143

also why dd a car that could require a chute....BECAUSE I CAN
lets see your lsx swap do that :bash:

Plenty of LSX swaps do that jack ass..im sorry im not a arrogant asshole who can sh*t out money to throw into my car..for me an LS swap is my cheapest way to get power... so why do an LS swap... BECAUSE I CAN! :banana:

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
Plenty of LSX swaps do that jack ass..im sorry im not a arrogant asshole who can sh*t out money to throw into my car..for me an LS swap is my cheapest way to get power... so why do an LS swap... BECAUSE I CAN! :banana:

you mean because you cant go "fast" with a 4.6 lmfao

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
My na 5.4 made 385whp at 6800 and 400wtq at 2000rpms, peaking at 415wtq around 5,000 with 360wtq at 7000.

It had mild 9.2/1 compression on a Kellogg crank with manly rods/pistons.

That was with stock 03 cobra heads, cams and exhaust manifolds.

I wouldn't doubt it would have made 550whp with 10.8/1(or 600whp+ with like 11.5/1+ for a corn mill or race gas only car), full length headers aftermarket gt500 headers and e cutouts with rowdy cams with 5 angle ported heads and titanium retainers. $1500 cams, $1800 exhaust, $2100 heads. It would lope but it'd be drivable and get 15-20+ mpg city/highway.

Probably even 600whp if it was bored/stroked to a 6.0 and 650whp if it was on corn with 11.5/1+.

Good luck getting a 6.0 ls mill to be drivable with 600whp or even hitting 600whp na in any trim on any fuel. Ls7's have trouble making 600whp with 7 liters...

The exhaust is a comparable wash on either engine series: ls or modular. More expensive on corvettes obviously though because of vette tax.

Heads is close to also being a wash when you factor lifters vs retainers but valves and port work doubles the price for a modular. $1,000 vs $2,000.

Cam $500 vs $1500, no contest there.

You can carb a modular or run efi on an ls mill so fuel/spark/carb/distributor is the same either way.

I see a $2,000 saving doing the Chevy build in a perfect world but little things like timing chains, oil cooling etc will eat at that so $1500 cheaper but much less drivable. 550whp ls mills are loapy and gas mileage isn't great nor is drivability.

The modular described just needs corn and its ready for turbos with proper dyno tuning. Or better, if it was built with 9.5/1 pistons, it'd still be over 475whp and be ready for turbos easy but the headers would be wasted on either the ls or modular.

The ls will need a different cam, valves and lifters in the heads, lower compression pistons or corn but that is a time bomb with turbos on an in block static timing mill-I wouldn't do it anyways. In the end, the ls would cost more unless it was built with boost in mind in the first place but then it'd only be around 400whp with 9.5/1 compression.

The 5.4 is down on displacement vs a 5.7 but the tech potential in the heads and cams makes it a more efficient motor.

Hp/L, even the 4.6 4v modulars are great, people have made 500whp with those with off the shelf parts. MM&FF magazine made 400whp out of a 98 cobra project car called superfly I believe. Na of course on pump gas with 10.5/1 pistons I believe and grinds from 2003, so nothing amazing compared to today's meticulously ground laser precision/computer drafted cams. Also I think their heads on that car were ported well but not completely like a max effort set would be.

Anyways, in the end, even the coyote is making 444hp right out of fords door with 5.0L and mild cams, the 6.2L LS makes 436hp in the grand sport, imagine if ford took the 5.8 out of the 2013 gt500 and made a boss 351, it'd easy be able to make 525-550hp with lamb cams and 10.7/1 compression on pump gas. The 6.2 lsa needed a blower and 9psi with a moderate cam to make 556hp in the cts-v and extensive work to make 638hp out of 6.2L in the ls9.

The 5.8 is barely phased and making 670hp with so much potential in a heads and cams port/swap that its stupidly funny.

The ls9 needs extensive mods to make 800whp and its not very durable at that power level.

The gt500 mill will handle 800whp 5-10 times longer than an ls9 at that power level. The lsa pops at 650-700whp pretty easily.

Back in 2009, hellion made 1166+whp on an internally stock 4.6L 03 cobra mill with bone stock heads, cams and compression/internals. It had arp head studs, gaskets, clutch, flywheel, and fuel mods as well as spark and a stand alone Anderson pms but those are necessary on any 1000whp mill. Literally though, with 42psi of manifold pressure because of the twin charged design that utilized twins 67's and the factory eaton at 9psi, it didn't pop and it lasted for a while. Also it would have easily made another 100whp+ just taking the blower off and running the twins at the 28psi they were set to. that is very impressive for stock cams and unported heads, let alone a completly stock rotating assembly.

Manny Alvorez was making 820+whp on his stock internal 4.6 03 cobra for 7,000 miles as a dd before it started letting go. That was fuel weight (3800lbs) with many drag strip passes in the high 9's in the desert heat of Arizona. No stock ls mill would stand up to that kind of task for 7,000 miles, let alone 1500.

All I'm saying is the modulars love boost but its more so that they are such a more eficient motor than ls mills cube for cube that the argument that it would be a dog without boost is senseless.

The 5.0 coyote rallys on the 6.2 ls mill, mod for mod, cam for cams, head work for head work. Then punch an stroke the 5.0 to a 5.6+ and its silly. You'll make 100whp more out of a built 5.6 coyote than you can out of a built 6.8 ls3.

Anyways, in the end the ls mill is an easily modded, light motor that is great for swaps especially fd's, miata's, s14's etc but for 800+whp and some semblance of reliability and mpg, forged, boosted and built modulars are well worth the trade of being 150-200#'s heavier than ls mills. I think the ls7 is 440#'s while the supercharged 4.6 is 640#'s but if you look at an lsa vs a 4.6 modular, it's around 530#'s vs 640#'s and the 5.4 is about 40#'s heavier than the 4.6 so even that is around 530 vs 680. The weight isn't that big of a deal in a 3200-3800+ lbs car, compared with the potential anyways. A 500whp 3300 car will get obliterated by a 600whp 3500lbs car if they're both mustangs or Camaro's. Even the launch/aero of a vette won't be enough to avoid getting walked by a mustang with 100whp more. Many YouTube vids have proven this.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
700whp will trap 145 in the right car pretty easy.

My buddy Scott went 148 in a 3900lbs race weight 03 cobra with the ac on making 8xxwhp.

The dude running 143 isn't putting an honest 920whp down to the ground. That or the converter might be robbing power or the tune might need work.

920whp is 160mph power in a 3,000 lbs drag oriented car with proper suspension. I'm hoping to break 155-160's with 1000-1050whp in a 3600lbs car.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member

You're the one bashing his car man, chill your shit out, it a forum man, not the end of the world.

He has a project that's already ran 143, why talk shit on him when you haven't even started your build yet? How do you know your build will be inexpensive if haven't started it? Unexpected things always come up. That's classless to bash his real life build with your theoretical build man.

Last edited:

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
from 4 years ago......

Carlos Nazario (Nazman) does it again! Naz and John Tymenski at Modular Performance went all out this time building a high compression 4.6L based 322ci big bore/stroker that runs on a 50/50 mix of MS109 race fuel and 93 octane pump gas.

With a set of well ported heads and some of Johns magic camshafts the resulting SAE power at the rear wheels is 537/403! at 7500 RPM. The engine was still climbing but some issues with the tune: 23 degrees timing and no a/f readout limited runs to 7500 RPM. Combo will peak around 550hp at 8000 RPM and is 8500 capable.

Worth noting is that everyone at this level has resorted to carburation while Naz is still injecting an FR500 intake. Naz is also utilizing basic 03+ C heads while others have resorted to more exotic Cobra R/GT/GT500 cylinder heads. Also worth noting is Naz is the only person in this territory with a 4.6L based block.

On to the combo:

JLT Ram Air
SET 2400 MAF
FR500 Intake Manifold
?lb Terminator Injectors
Dual GT Fuel Pumps with dual -8 Line & Dual FPDM (fuel pump driver modules)
CNC Ported 03+ Heads (330+/240+CFMs @ .500)
Custom Billet Cams by John at MP in the range of 250 - 260 duration @.050
+1mm Oversize Valves
LSX Comp Behive Valve Springs
Comp Camponents Billet Fully Adjustable Cam Gears
Billet Timing Sprocket
Iron Boss 5.0 Block
322CI
3.700 Bore
3.750 Stroke
Custom Kellogg Forged Crank (Fully Counterweighted)
Oliver Billet Rods w/ARP 2000 Rod Bolts
Custom Diamond Pistons (Domed 12.9:1CR) by MP
Total Seal "Zero" Gap Rings
King & HP Race Series Main and Rod Bearings
Stock Style Melling Oil Pump with Billet Gears
ATI Super Damper
All ARP Hardware (main, rods, studs, cams, etc)
Electric Water Pump
1 3/4" Kooks Headers
Pro-Motion 750 TR3650 Transmission
Clutch Masters High RPM Pressure Plate with Carbon Ceramic Disc
Solid Differential w/4.56 Gears
Tune by Don at LaSota Racing

Car went 127MPH @ 3600LBS on a break-in tune (23 deg of timing). Easy 130+MPH all motor capable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread