Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Odd that the mustang is still selling so well considering how ugly the 18s are lol.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
So, is the new GT500 going to more track oriented than drag car oriented? I was under the impression that it was going to be beast on both levels? It'll still be a strip car, but it'll feel more at home on the road course.
The reason I ask is because one of the trusted members on the other Mustang forum says it's going to be more track oriented, or at least that what it sounded like to me. Anyone here have any truth to this?

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So, is the new GT500 going to more track oriented than drag car oriented? I was under the impression that it was going to be beast on both levels? It'll still be a strip car, but it'll feel more at home on the road course.
The reason I ask is because one of the trusted members on the other Mustang forum says it's going to be more track oriented, or at least that what it sounded like to me. Anyone here have any truth to this?
Wouldn't it have to be, in the event the GT350 gets phased out ???

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Odd that the mustang is still selling so well considering how ugly the 18s are lol.

The Mustang is well loved. Anything else in the class is an imitator. Why buy a copy when you can get the genuine article?

So, is the new GT500 going to more track oriented than drag car oriented? I was under the impression that it was going to be beast on both levels? ...

There's no law or rule that says it can't be both. The 720S is undoubtedly a track car, yet it can dip into the 9s in the quarter fully stock. So, other than the pork, there's no reason the new GT500 can't tear up a track and still rip off mid-10s in the quarter stock.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
People see those numbers and still questions Ford's decision to get rid of a lot of their car lines...

Ford ha no legitimate reasoning in my opinion to end car production.

Economy is better than ever, and 16-25 year olds like small personal cars. They are cheap and easy to insure, maintain, etc.

I don’t see many 16-25yr olds driving family haulers or small suv’s But I do see many of them getting into fiesta’s and focus’s, etc.

The cars may need investment but I don’t buy the talking point that tariffs and TPP pull out make the cost too high. It’s less profitable to sell 0 cars than to sell 500,000 cars at a lower profit than you planned when the country was sold out imo.

Gt500 wise, seems super duper. Will likely be best car ever made

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wouldn't it have to be, in the event the GT350 gets phased out ???
I wouldn't think so? I always thought that the '13-1'4 GT500 was more strip oriented than the track.
I thought the new GT500 would a beast for track and strip duty, but according to what I read on the other Mustang forum from a trusted member, it's more at home at the track.

The Mustang is well loved. Anything else in the class is an imitator. Why buy a copy when you can get the genuine article?
There's no law or rule that says it can't be both. The 720S is undoubtedly a track car, yet it can dip into the 9s in the quarter fully stock. So, other than the pork, there's no reason the new GT500 can't tear up a track and still rip off mid-10s in the quarter stock.
I thought the new GT500 would a beast for track and strip duty, but according to what I read on the other Mustang forum from a trusted member, it's more at home at the track.
Definitely no reason why it cannot be a beast for both duties. Just look at the newer model Z06 cars. (Minus the heat soak please. lol)

conceptmachine

Established Member
From what I've been hearing, there will be an R model, which will be more track oriented than the base model. More carbon fiber, stickier tires perhaps. I don't think this will be a drag oriented car. I would have liked a drag pack car, one with more straight line performance.
I still think it will be pretty quick, not low 10's but I would be joyous with a mid 10's , stock. We'll see what she can do, soon enough. With the 720 figure that was leaked, and 4200 lbs, I'm guessing it will dip just into the 10's...maybe 10.8

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A gt350r weighs 3650lbs, I can’t see this thing weighing much over 3900lbs.

Supercharger and coolers is about 125lbs, not much difference in rolling stock, brakes are similar.

Assuming double the weight of the parts being added is a stretch; honestly 3850 seems right, and I’d say this car should be quite fast.

I am anticipating 740hp or more. I think a KR or Boss model will have north or 800hp

While that sounds super high, we’re talking about 675-750whp... not exactly tough territory for a supercharged 5.2

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll be happy with any reasonable number that starts with a 3--as 4000# is heavyweight class for a Mustang.
The DCT can overcome some weight gain, and the DCT/5.2/TVS2650 will be a serious combo.
At this point I'm just hoping we can get some real data soon.
-J

TFStang

Established Member
If they release this thing with 720 HP that’s a fail in my opinion. Ford can do better than that and should now that they have seen what everyone else is doing. This car should really have something that starts with an 8.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'll be happy with any reasonable number that starts with a 3--as 4000# is heavyweight class for a Mustang.
The DCT can overcome some weight gain, and the DCT/5.2/TVS2650 will be a serious combo.
-J

If the curb weight comes in at 4,000lbs+, I'm bowing out. Might as well just go buy a luxury sport sedan at that point and keep throwing mods at my current GT500.

If they release this thing with 720 HP that’s a fail in my opinion. Ford can do better than that and should now that they have seen what everyone else is doing. This car should really have something that starts with an 8.

I have zero doubt that it's going to be well north of 720HP. I'm "secretly" hoping it'll come in at something like 810HP, but I'm not holding my breath for it. I still firmly believe it's going to be 772HP+, though.

Voltwings

Established Member

Ok, but then what? 800 now? 1000 a few years from now, then 1400? Performance > bench racing. If this car is faster than a *insert current fast car here* and only had like 600 hp that should be all that matters.

paluka21

Established Member
-J

I agree with your take. Hopefully Ford provides some solid information on this car by spring so I can make a personal decision on the direction I am going with a new car. New GT500 will be in consideration but so is the Z06 despite the Z being lower on power than the mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread