Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What if it ends up having the ford gt engine. ...

It would still sell, just to a wholly different demographic, read:millennials and younger. I certainly wouldn't buy it, but there are people out there that would be like, "you had me at 'turbo', bro" and not even care what kind of engine it's mounted to. V8, V6, 4-banger, as long as it has a turbo slapped on it, they're all-in.

Voltwings

Established Member
Well if they shaved 100-200 lbs off the nose of a TRACK car, and shifted that weight a few inches back by lopping off 2 cylinders, yeah people would be in...

Don't get me wrong, i prefer NA engines on track, but you cant deny the fat powerband a turbo car can give you. Now, getting into preferences of heat, power delivery and all that jazz will derail this conversation in a heartbeat ... like it really matters at this point.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
It would still sell, just to a wholly different demographic, read:millennials and younger. I certainly wouldn't buy it, but there are people out there that would be like, "you had me at 'turbo', bro" and not even care what kind of engine it's mounted to. V8, V6, 4-banger, as long as it has a turbo slapped on it, they're all-in.

Turbo is synonymous with Netflix and chill. Ery1 jelly b. (Millennial vernacular)

I’ll kick an engineer in the nuts if they try this on a top tier mustang vs a v8 ever.

In other news, in just 5 years since the trinity, having $50-100k a year to live on after tax is pretty damn plebeian. Inflation is pretty low and has been but toys are coming up on twice as spendy now.

Remember when a top iPhone was $400?

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Well if they shaved 100-200 lbs off the nose of a TRACK car, and shifted that weight a few inches back by lopping off 2 cylinders, yeah people would be in...

Don't get me wrong, i prefer NA engines on track, but you cant deny the fat powerband a turbo car can give you. Now, getting into preferences of heat, power delivery and all that jazz will derail this conversation in a heartbeat ... like it really matters at this point.

Don't misunderstand me. I have no problem with turbos. I have a problem when perfectly good V8s get usurped by turbo 6s (or supercharged 6s for that matter.) V8s are once again being pushed WAY upmarket and eventually out of the market altogether. I want to buy as many as I can for as long as I can.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
other than the insiders....do we know what the hold up is? Something simple like supply of specific part or something bigger like a change of direction? When this car comes out I hope that question will be answered.

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
other than the insiders....do we know what the hold up is? Something simple like supply of specific part or something bigger like a change of direction? When this car comes out I hope that question will be answered.

They are probably working on a Kaneda option and are having a hard time figuring out which shade of pink to use....

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
case in point. I wanted the '01 cobra, I decided to wait. I was frustrated there was no '02 cobra but I was damn glad when I bought the '03.

paluka21

Established Member

I would say the delays(s) most likely have to do with Ford going back to revisit the performance output of the car to meet, exceed, or compete with some of the latest releases of the Hellcat Redeye and perhaps Demon. When Dodge released those cars Ford may have been closer to announcement of the GT500 but realized they were not on top of their game and needed to bring more bang for the buck to the table.
Let's also consider *if* there are two cars; an "R" version and the standard GT500. All speculation, but there has to be a lot of R&D and QC testing with any increase or enchantments in power and performance.
However, given that the GT500 is taking so long to be officially announced, and the initial impression I've had with the way the front end of the car looks, I will most likely pull the trigger on a new Z06 in the spring. Unless Ford announces and releases the car for Q2 2019 and it is a knock out, I can see myself contently going to the dark side.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
I'm not sure why we keep so many trolls around this forum. I can think of 5, that if never heard from again, no one would ask about them.

Well for guys like me of course....I don’t get to participate anywhere near as much as I want to here currently, but it brings a warm feeling to my heart to come in and open a thread and see you guys mentally curb stomping them all one by one.

Kudos and carry on men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well for guys like me of course....I don’t get to participate anywhere near as much as I want to here currently, but it brings a warm feeling to my heart to come in and open a thread and see you guys mentally curb stomping them all one by one.

Kudos and carry on men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lol'd.

Voltwings

Established Member
I think y'all are mixing "performance" and "output" when the two are not necessarily synonymous. Hell, you can get a 2018 GT into the 10s with bolt ons, WTF are the Hellcat and Redeye doing with all that extra power? Oh yeah, appealing to bench racers.
Dodge has yet to put it's money where it's mouth is on the strip. Or rather, Dodge's cars in the hands of average Joe have not been able to back up their claims - as far as I can tell, I'm a road racer (not street racer) and don't put much stock in 1/4 racing.

I still remain unconvinced that Ford is worried about the Dodge offering in the slightest, other than having to appeal to people who just straight up do not know any better.

DepWraith

Established Member
The C8 Vette is rumored to be announced a day or two before Detroit...think it will steal the thunder of the GT500 reveal should it happen at Detroit?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I think y'all are mixing "performance" and "output" when the two are not necessarily synonymous. Hell, you can get a 2018 GT into the 10s with bolt ons, WTF are the Hellcat and Redeye doing with all that extra power? Oh yeah, appealing to bench racers.
Dodge has yet to put it's money where it's mouth is on the strip. Or rather, Dodge's cars in the hands of average Joe have not been able to back up their claims - as far as I can tell, I'm a road racer (not street racer) and don't put much stock in 1/4 racing.

I still remain unconvinced that Ford is worried about the Dodge offering in the slightest, other than having to appeal to people who just straight up do not know any better.

Damn you went balls deep!

Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread