Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
One of the new pieces of hardware on this engine, the oil pan, is something that definitely deserves closer inspection and I can wait to see it off the engine. Travis and I attended the Powertrain Reveal for the GT350 and I think he may have been as surprised as I was to see them use a composite pan after two years of a cast aluminum unit on the '13/'14 GT500. In hindsight, the plastic drain plug (for example) may not have been the best idea. As he mentioned elsewhere, Ford looks to have gone back to an actual threaded steel plug.

With the claim that the GT500 can generate lateral acceleration numbers higher than ever before in a Mustang, keeping oil in the sump and around the oil pump pickup is paramount. Hats off to Ford on this one. In case you haven't seen this here it is in action.

GT500_Oil_Pan_GIF-M.gif

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
Nano sponsored one of Dean Martin's cars. Sounds like the guy you talked to reads the forums here.

From the last race in the Conti series in 2017 at Road Atlanta.
View attachment 1546363

That's awesome! I believe I have all of their business cards still in my old Autozone stuff. I don't think that nano had a full sponsor car like that at the time, and I cant recall who was driving or anything either.

Oil pan is pretty sweet too. I like the flaps at the bottom of the trays. That will definitely help keep oil around longer than normal on quick hard left to right corners.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Jim Owens drives me nuts but I hope we learn something new.

I kicked off the chat with a couple of questions. In 3,2,1....somebody will ask about weight...

____Capture1-X2.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Well I'll be damned. They asked both my questions. As I intimated - his answer was wishy washy but he kind of admitted that the hook provision is indeed there. He had no answer on exhaust manifolds however.

Here it is at the 21:12 mark, lol...

conceptmachine

Established Member
Jim Owens drives me nuts but I hope we learn something new.

I kicked off the chat with a couple of questions. In 3,2,1....somebody will ask about weight...

View attachment 1546566

Yeah, I liked how he avoided it entirely. They know by now a round about figure. why not say it? maybe because hefty hefty hefty.
could have said 4,100 lbs plus 100 minus 5

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
What do the headers have to do with firing order? Generally curious, as I’ve never heard of that being a variable

The reason LT's increase power is because the airflow is perfectly timed so the exhaust flow from other cylinders creates a vacuum on the back of a closed exhaust valve. When the exhaust valve opens, the vacuum helps evacuate the cylinder more quickly and completely. That in turn helps get more clean air into the cylinder. The better use of the volume, the more air to compress, the more power made.

The length of the tubes and the size/placement of the collector are optimized for optimal scavenging based on the fire order. (valve timing really... but its all relative.)

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
The reason LT's increase power is because the airflow is perfectly timed so the exhaust flow from other cylinders creates a vacuum on the back of a closed exhaust valve. When the exhaust valve opens, the vacuum helps evacuate the cylinder more quickly and completely. That in turn helps get more clean air into the cylinder. The better use of the volume, the more air to compress, the more power made.

The length of the tubes and the size/placement of the collector are optimized for optimal scavenging based on the fire order. (valve timing really... but its all relative.)

So all of the equal length headers are setup incorrectly then?

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
So all of the equal length headers are setup incorrectly then?

Yes.

Edit: I have to rethink/reword that. I will say that it is very likely that they are effective, but have room for improvement. I do know that some equal length primary systems are bent and routed in such a way that the airflow is adjusted as if the primary tube was closer to the correct length. While they are more effective, its mostly a market gimmick.

Last edited:

Established Member
Actually, with Ford's FPC the header design is particularly simple that equal length works well, of course in addition to equal length they need to be length tuned to sequence the exhaust pulse volumes for optimum scavenging. All because the cylinder banks always alternate.

The tuning results in standing waves and you can see the resulting standing wave hot spot on the cats by the color deformation and hear the beauty of it. Perfectly tuned.

CPC firing order has two cylinders on each bank that fire back to back, so there is always a symmetry issue on each side and it's much more difficult to tune. The pulses can never be perfectly symmetrically tuned and scavenging is more difficult to balance. The firing order is needed to determine which cylinders are back to back and need extra adjustments.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread