Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

blk02edge

Established Member
Lots of video of shitty launches on im assuming a ill prepped track and they are not allowing tire psi changes. Im still betting we see a 10.8 tomorow and a solid mid 10 later on a proper prep.

Its hurting my head seeing these guys sit there baging off the rev limiter and then just stopping without rolling out of it

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Rumor is it went high 10s in Vegas...

We’ll know tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

gearhead08

Established Member
Screenshot_20191028-210151_Chrome.jpg

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Did you buy the vehicles because of the 'Shelby' name or because they were the top performing Mustang available?? If it was just a Mustang Cobra would you have bought something else instead??

It's been 13 years since they brought the name back. Time to put that shit back on mothballs. Modern performance cars have no business being named after a senior citizen, 6 feet under.

Shelby put a big motor in a stripped down car and went racing. Not at all relatable to the bloated cruiser Ford is about to release. Race cars don't have 200+ extra pounds of creature comforts.

With or without the "Shelby" name, yes I would have purchased the vehicle. I also have owned several terminators. But with that said, I still don't think your comment of anyone under 40 knows or cares who Shelby was is anywhere near accurate. If you are a car enthusiast, you more than likely know very well who he is.

blk02edge

Established Member
With or without the "Shelby" name, yes I would have purchased the vehicle. I also have owned several terminators. But with that said, I still don't think your comment of anyone under 40 knows or cares who Shelby was is anywhere near accurate. If you are a car enthusiast, you more than likely know very well who he is.
Yea I would highly doubt theres even one car enthuisast out there 16-40 that doesnt know who Shelby was even if they are balls deep in the import scene. He is practically THE biggest automotive legend to ever exist.

Personally would prefer the cars coming from Ford were still called svt cobra tho

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Yea I would highly doubt theres even one car enthuisast out there 16-40 that doesnt know who Shelby was even if they are balls deep in the import scene. He is practically THE biggest automotive legend to ever exist.

Personally would prefer the cars coming from Ford were still called svt cobra tho

Agreed, unless you are living under a rock, if you are into cars, you should know the name lol.

PIPO

Established Member
I wouldn’t be surprised if the GT500 with a full set of drag wheels pulls a 9.99 on a 4 digits negative DA.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
So now that this shit is over basically, I can think of few cars I've ever seen receive such uniform praise. Not bad for a 4200 lb tank. I think those of you buying one will be very happy. This ****er came very close to not existing at all.

Now, continue arguing about decimal points!

Top Gear said:
literally can’t believe how fast and composed – yet fun – the car is. But I’ve only just started to scratch the surface and there isn’t time to spend all day finding out...

Impressed is not the right word. Staggered is more like it. When I drove the Chevy ZL1 1LE, I thought it was going to take some beating. On this first impression, the GT500 crushes it flat. I can also see that, on non aero-sensitive tracks, that it’d probably have the measure of the vaunted Viper ACR, too. But the really impressive thing is that it can do all of this AND then cruise home – or to the other side of the country – in church-like silence and lounge comfort.

(Was obviously told the GT500 did indeed set a quicker lap than Dodge did with the ACR at a particular track here)

Car and Driver said:
Think of the naturally aspirated, manual-transmission-only GT350 as Ford's own Porsche 911 GT3 and the Shelby GT500 as Ford's 911 GT2 RS, and you'll understand both how similar and different these two cars are. Yeah, we're comparing Mustangs to Porsche's best sports cars. The Shelby GT500 is that good.

Motor Trend said:
"My gawd," was the first thing, the only thing I could say after hot-lapping the 760-horsepower 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 on a track. "What a thing!" (C'mon, Walton, pull yourself together, use proper descriptors.) "I mean, a helluva thing, a monster!"
"Think Porsche GT2 RS. Yes, I just wrote that."

"It also provided so much mechanical and aero grip that it attacked racetrack curb hopping and wide-open sweepers with equal poise and confidence."
"This isn't the best Mustang ever, nor even the best Shelby GT ever. It's one of the best sports cars in the world right now"

"That it also provides so much driver feedback in such a neutral and balanced fashion is a real rarity. I've been fortunate to drive a few race cars, and this is as close as one can get to that with a fully outfitted interior and enough road manners to live with daily. That's not an exaggeration, nor is it easy to achieve."

Road And Track said:
I'll level with you: The GT500 is too quick for me to grasp its full potential in the short amount of track time Ford offered us on this one-day media drive. It would take me a week, a month, to tiptoe my way up to this car's stratospheric limits on any track. But it never felt overwhelming. This car, with its 760 horses, never once felt like it was trying to get away from me, like it was bound to run me out of talent and off into the infield. It was composed, predictable, infinitely finesse-able. And that, more than the power figures and acceleration numbers, is Ford's greatest accomplishment with the new GT500

Automobile said:
Yet for all the new 2020 GT500's brilliance on road courses and drag strips, it's this friendliness, this easy-going, no-surprises docility that truly distinguishes the new model from the GT500s of the past. Yes, there's a snake on the grille, but this car isn't going to bite you. In fact, it might just make you look like a hero.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I personally just care how it does on the road course. The price for the carbon track package in canada is insane though. I paid 15k less for my 2013 VIper new

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I personally just care how it does on the road course. The price for the carbon track package in canada is insane though. I paid 15k less for my 2013 VIper new

It makes the ZL1 1lE seem like a steal. 99% of the performance for 70% of the price.

Voltwings

Established Member
It’s a second slower than the demon....

Send the demon around a road course and compare the %Delta between each. 9.6 / 10.6 means the demon is ~10% faster... I'd bet a large sum of money the GT500 is more than 10% faster than a demon around a road course.

blk02edge

Established Member
The ZL1 1LE is not even close to 99% of the performance.
Well whats your "close"? You said the 500 will run a low 2:40 at VIR. the 1le ran a 2.45 with an amatuer at LL who are usually 3-5 seconds slower than the Randy/pro laps.

You have these guys comparing it to a GT2RS (Im guessing purely out of in the moment excitement) because the 2RS is a near mid 9 second@140mph car while having more aero, less weight and just as sticky tire.

I mean its hard to argue, the 500 has absolutely crushed it based on the reviews and the C8 practically got its nuts cut off (for now)

Users who are viewing this thread