Anyone else just buying mufflers, not the whole catback?

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
If so, what mufflers did you use? I just bought Dynomax Ultra-Flo welded mufflers from Summit Racing (part # 17232). Dropped ship from Dynomax (where they are in stock) to my door later this week it's $190 for the pair. These are 3" in/out oval mufflers. For reference sake the stock ones are 13.5" x 11" x 5.5" oval mufflers, 2.5" side in/out (same side). Its that same-side side in/out thing that extrememly limits your choices. I WANT Borlas but they won't sell me just the mufflers that come in their catback. The Dynomax mufflers measure 14"long and will have to be necked down to 2.5" to fit the factory pipes. Should fit no problem.

Anyone else notice the EXTREME pinch on the entry to the factory mufflers necking down the factory 2.5" piping to probably less than 2.25"! I know someone else mentioned it (Jim V?) but take a look at it if you still are stock.. No wonder we pick up so much power from a catback replacement! The other side benefit of keeping my factory catback is that IF the tailpipe baffles are actually functional it will help keep it somewhat quiet which I'd like to do..

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
If you look closely at the tailpipes, the muffler to tip section is severely crimped/constricted and there are additional baffles in the pipes, not just the mufflers... I am going to change the whole catback...

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Guess I'll look again tonight, I know the last 10" of the pipes have a baffle but everything else looked pretty ok..

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
I had the Flowmasters put in this weekend. They were the only ones with the 2.25" size to match the factory pipes. My throttle response was vastly improved. I could get a little more with a catback, but the main thing is just to get those quiet, restrictive stock mufflers OUT.

MoPony

Established Member
I did the flowmasters for now
Going to wait a few months for more made for the 03 systems come out

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Just took a second look and..

I don't see the rest of the bends in the mufflers causing much of a difference (3-4hp?) once you replace the mufflers and their pre-muffler pinch. Even the baffles at the tips are straight through.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
If you look closely at the tailpipes, the muffler to tip section is severely crimped/constricted and there are additional baffles in the pipes, not just the mufflers... I am going to change the whole catback...

Whoa! When did you order your 03? Since you've been moderating the cobra section and seen the frenzy amongst us 03 owners, you just had to jump on the bandwagon huh? COOL! :beer:

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
he used to be blue98cobra.. then he got lucky.. come on.. dont you recognize the avatar? Its snake man from the game megaman.. 4 i believe. My brother and i played that religiously when we were little tikes.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra

The mod dude is right, take a look at my pics in this post;

http://www.forums.svtperformance.com/showthread.php?threadid=17781

The pics are REAL KINKY (not the good kind either)

riplightning

Established Member
I did just the Dynoflow Ultraflow mufflers welded to the existing pipe. I like the sound of the Dynoflow more of a low rumble. No Dyno #'s though, Sorry.

Someone said that there were baffles in the pipes from the mufflers to the tail pipes, is this true?

i8u

Established Member
not baffles like your thinking....kinda like glass packing. Look at your exhaust tips.:beer:

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Ahhh.. THAT's what its for..

riplightning that MUST be what the packing is for because there certainly isn't any way for the exhaust gas to pass through the packing (no holes between the pipe and baffling). Jerry

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
Whoa! When did you order your 03? Since you've been moderating the cobra section and seen the frenzy amongst us 03 owners, you just had to jump on the bandwagon huh? COOL! :beer:
First one, March 5th. Passed on the $10,000 markup at the only local SVT dealership. Second one, May 4th. Took delivery, August 22nd. The "SCOA" in my sig stands for SVT Cobra Owners Association. Member #1641 since April, 2000. :thumbsup:

(And yes I traded a Bright Atlantic Blue '98 Coupe for the Terminator)

Postban... "mod dude" LOL :thumbsup:

:beer:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Re: Ahhh.. THAT's what its for..

Originally posted by Jerryk
riplightning that MUST be what the packing is for because there certainly isn't any way for the exhaust gas to pass through the packing (no holes between the pipe and baffling). Jerry
And look how small the actual exhaust pipe is, inside the tip, and you'll see why a catback is getting 20-30 RWHP, alone...

riplightning

Established Member
The pipe inside the tip it the same size as the pipes from the mufflers. It is 2 1/4" where some of the catback pipes are 2 1/2". Can this 1/4" make a big diff? I was under the impression that until you got into HP ranges of 475 and up, it did not make a big diff.

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
I bigger pipe may give you greater peak HP at a lower end torque loss. Since I got my mufflers, I hardly have to downshift to pass people anymore. Yes, a 3" catback would have given me greater peak HP on a dyno and maybe a lower ET, but I would much rather have the torque at lower revs for daily driving.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Ok, I gave in and changed my order and got the whole catback. That way if it is too loud I can take the mufflers off the new CB and weld them into the old system and TRY to keep it slightly quieter. Trying to buy just the upgraded pipes I'm sure would be impossible.. In the end I'm sure exhaust as well as tune (chip) will be an iterative thing for me until I find the one that suits my tastes best.

Users who are viewing this thread