Anyone else recently upgrade your cable modem and Internet plan for a BIG speed increase?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've had my Cox Premium Internet plan for a few years and usually got around 90-100Mbps on download and around 20Mbps on uploads. Decent, but with two smart TVs, a 4K DVD player, surround receiver, two iPhones, two MacBook Pros, three Echo devices and one PC attached to the network, it was time more speed. So two days ago I decided to upgrade my Cox Premium plan to the Cox Internet Ultimate for an additional $20.00 a month. After buying an Arris SB-8200 modem (DOCSIS 3.1), I ran a speed test and the results are stellar.
391 Mbps Download
33 Mbps Upload

I'm very happy with the new speeds. Anyone else recently upgrade to a faster Internet service plan?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I have the highest option from Comcrap since it's the best of the worst here. As does everyone else around here, 150mb service and I get 33 down/22 up. On my own equipment, not the crap they provide.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I wish we had more options in our area.

ATT Gigapower is starting to come up in more of the suburbs, but, not by us.

We have the 150MBPS internet and usually see those speeds and more. But, at a hefty price of almost $200 a month it is getting old, fast.

I looked at Cox and it seems they've got great offers, but, not available here.

SlySy

My son watches My Little Pony???wtf
Established Member
I went from a 10mb connection to 75mb earlier this week. I also bought one of those Arris Surfboard modems and I noticed a huge difference. I got 85mb d/l 12mb u/l on the speed test, I was stoked, it's not 300 or anything but it's a big jump for me. For 62 bux a month (no tv service or phone) I'm more than happy. This is with comcast btw.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Brutal Metal, I never thought about older equipment and how higher speeds might not help if the hardware is old enough. All of my stuff is a year or less old, except for my PC, and that is Ethernet connected to my router, so the upgrade worked well for us here.

bigmoose

Established Member
Did you measure your used bandwidth to determine if you really needed the upgrade?

I originally had FiOS 100/100 and decided to give gigabit a try. I believe I tested at 940M down and 850M up. However even with multiple 1080p nest cams recording to the cloud I still wasn't going over 100/100 so I ended up downgrading to save my $30/mo.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No, I didn't measure my used bandwidth, but I had gotten too many download errors when streaming movies. I'm expecting those days are now gone. Better be!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The only options I have here on my street are Cox and Frontier. I can't wait for Cox to start rolling out their DOCSIS3.1 based gigabit home service. It will be a slow roll out probably. Comcast has already started, but in limited areas.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Brutal Metal, I never thought about older equipment and how higher speeds might not help if the hardware is old enough. All of my stuff is a year or less old, except for my PC, and that is Ethernet connected to my router, so the upgrade worked well for us here.
To give you an example I just did a wifi speed test in my house with the cell phone and laptop. I have 40 speed service, with the laptop I just got 22.4 download 5.2 up. With the phone I got
38 down and 6 up.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
To give you an example I just did a wifi speed test in my house with the cell phone and laptop. I have 40 speed service, with the laptop I just got 22.4 download 5.2 up. With the phone I got
38 down and 6 up.
There are so many variables that go into a wifi speed test it's not realistic to compare what you have going on to what he may see. My plan is 150 down/20 up and I've seen 130/20 on my laptop. With the right equipment he might be able to get 600Mbps wifi. I've downloaded movies at 13 MBps across my wifi and I was stupid happy with that.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
To be honest, unless you are streaming several 4k movies, you shouldn't need more than 100mb\s. Netflix 4k stream is 25mb\s. 1080p is only around 5-10mb\s. The errors were more likely due to signal issues, which could continue with the new higher speed service. Please post back in a month or two and let us know how it works out for you.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I pay $70 for 200 down with prism. I've got my own equipment and wired stuff typically gets 225-230 down.

I speed tested every device and found I had some very bad network cables, some devices were still limping around at 25 until I got new cables

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I actually just upgraded to xfinity 150 a couple weeks ago. Didn't notice a difference until I returned the their Gateway and picked up an Arris sb6183.

Users who are viewing this thread