Anyone else recently upgrade your cable modem and Internet plan for a BIG speed increase?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I pay $70 for 200 down with prism. I've got my own equipment and wired stuff typically gets 225-230 down.

I speed tested every device and found I had some very bad network cables, some devices were still limping around at 25 until I got new cables
What type of cables? from the modem to router?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
What type of cables? from the modem to router?

My networking cables (ie cat 5 etc...). If anyone of them is really old or poorly made it'll bottleneck everything. If I could get to a speed test on the device itself I did that otherwise I put the cable to my laptop to test so yes test the cable from modem to router too

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
We have 25 MB down and 5-10 up through Comcast. Can’t say I’ve ever had a need for more. All of our TV is streamed and we have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Rct851

Established Member
What is the best router/modem combo and what are the best cables. I have xfinity comcast and i want online gaming ( upcoming gt sport) to work the best it can.

Should it work better if i plug a cable straigh to the playstation?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
What is the best router/modem combo and what are the best cables. I have xfinity comcast and i want online gaming ( upcoming gt sport) to work the best it can.

Should it work better if i plug a cable straigh to the playstation?

Hard wired connections always run faster. Note only is a wired connection faster, it doesn't have interference from anything that operates on the 2.4 or 5 GHz spectrum.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Hard wired connections always run faster. Note only is a wired connection faster, it doesn't have interference from anything that operates on the 2.4 or 5 GHz spectrum.

What he said - make sure to use CAT 5e or better cable and make sure you have a router than supports gigabit ethernet and hardwire it. As far as routers - sky seems to be the limit anymore. Never thought I would see $400 routers. Nighthawks are probably the most popular high end routers, but they made news for a hack this year, not sure what the latest is on that. I personally run an Asus.

Heavy processing power in the router is more about handling many fast connections at once, not max speed on a single connection. In other words, there shouldn't be a need for a $400 home router unless you have a giant family that's going to be streaming on many devices at once.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I think I got some cat6e cables for cheap. None of my stuff works that fast but it was practically the same price for some short cables.

CV355

_
Established Member
391mbps and we still can't send more than 10Mb in a friggin' email. :(

NJredfire03

Established Member
A while back I upgraded to 100/50. Nothing crazy. But my wifi router was garbage from the ISP. Only 2.4ghz and I lost connection once I left the room. I decided to get Google WIFI mesh network. Got 3 of em. One hardwires to your modem just like the router you're replacing. And others you spread out across the house. They're not just wifi extenders. Each one puts out its own signal. So each one puts out 5.0ghz. Now I get 115/36 over wifi anywhere in my house. Before I was only getting 67/30. Same internet, same price. Different results. I'd recommend Google Wifi to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacker1991

Established Member
370 download/upload for $60 a month. Nice offer from AT&T optic fiber.
6537152786.png

More than enough for most people imo.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
My gig connection is barely enough for my family.

We typically have 5+ devices streaming HD at the same time and it does fairly well with QoS on my routers active.

Not to mention, I usually have a VPN connection to a vSphere guest or 2 at the same time.

Need. Moar. Bandwidth.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A while back I upgraded to 100/50. Nothing crazy. But my wifi router was garbage from the ISP. Only 2.4ghz and I lost connection once I left the room. I decided to get Google WIFI mesh network. Got 3 of em. One hardwires to your modem just like the router you're replacing. And others you spread out across the house. They're not just wifi extenders. Each one puts out its own signal. So each one puts out 5.0ghz. Now I get 115/36 over wifi anywhere in my house. Before I was only getting 67/30. Same internet, same price. Different results. I'd recommend Google Wifi to anyone.

I used to have a Nighthawk router but replaced it after the report of hacking. I decided to go with an Eero mesh network. Love it. I had a 3-unit setup but added a 4th when they offered a good discount on it. Now my entire house is well covered. These mesh networks are really good. How is the pricing on the Google version?

NJredfire03

Established Member
I used to have a Nighthawk router but replaced it after the report of hacking. I decided to go with an Eero mesh network. Love it. I had a 3-unit setup but added a 4th when they offered a good discount on it. Now my entire house is well covered. These mesh networks are really good. How is the pricing on the Google version?

Half of eero, 3 was $267 on amazon. Google software and components can be trusted I feel.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I have Metronet and are paying $90 for a a gig up and down, they also dropped in real fiber (single mode).

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
My gig connection is barely enough for my family.

We typically have 5+ devices streaming HD at the same time and it does fairly well with QoS on my routers active.

Not to mention, I usually have a VPN connection to a vSphere guest or 2 at the same time.

Need. Moar. Bandwidth.

That doesn't sound like a need for faster internet, sounds more like a need for a better home network.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
That doesn't sound like a need for faster internet, sounds more like a need for a better home network.
Agreed, my up is 500+ and down is 1000 on hardwire and 600 on wireless AC. The router supports 600+600 on AC, but none of my devices have dual wireless NICs and I can't stand dongles, so now that 1000 is actually 600 divided by 5-6 streaming devices since nothing is hardwired.

Yeah, I could upgrade the network, but I'm the only one who notices it. The average network user in my house doesn't notice any buffering, etc.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Agreed, my up is 500+ and down is 1000 on hardwire and 600 on wireless AC. The router supports 600+600 on AC, but none of my devices have dual wireless NICs and I can't stand dongles, so now that 1000 is actually 600 divided by 5-6 streaming devices since nothing is hardwired.

Yeah, I could upgrade the network, but I'm the only one who notices it. The average network user in my house doesn't notice any buffering, etc.

I was going to say thats a great excuse to upgrade to a ubiquity setup lol.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I was going to say thats a great excuse to upgrade to a ubiquity setup lol.

Honestly, I've actually given some thought to upgrading the network and actually getting my lazy ass into the attic and pulling some Cat 5e. But, there is that I'm a lazy ass thing again.

Now that we are going full on Netflix, Fire, Hulu, etc. in our house, I probably need to get off my butt.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
IMO that modem is overkill at the moment but still great for future. I bought an Arris 6183 about 3 years ago when they bumped my speeds to 200 down/ 20 up. Have no complaints, I pay $90~ for phone and internet and been having this set up even when I had DirecTV.

Switch to PSVue and saved myself $$$, never have any slowdown anywhere and even with downloading stuff. Have it hooked up with an Asus AC1900, my wireless AC devices get 200+ download speeds easily!

Users who are viewing this thread