Anyone else worried about their 401k?

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
I've got a nice little chunk sitting with Fidelity that I contribute to through work. With the economy the way it is I'm afraid it could start to drop like it did a few years ago. I've got more than a years salary in there and I don't trust the banks. What would you guys do to protect your investment?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
What kind of returns are you currently getting now? What kind of options do they give you to control it?

Can you afford to lose it?

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
Its roughly 3% returns. I contribute a lot or else I owe taxes. I've never attempted to change anything, I just let the guy that handles our accounts do whatever.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I managed my last 401 through at&t online and I threw it all in risky ventures and made a good bit. And I got in on the Ford stock crash.

In all honesty call the guy that handles your accounts and ask about more aggressive options.

SteveChris

Established Member
i kept my contributions the same but took the existing cash and transferred it into a stable fund.
i think the dow is a bit high right now, hasn't been a correction in awhile.
i'll transfer it all back once it blows over.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
what would I do to protect my investment?

leave it in there.

don't be scared by falling returns because guess what, it works in cycles. if something costs $100 today but drops to $50 tomorrow....I look at it like this, if I keep contributing the same amount I did when it was $100 I'll get double. then when the market cycles back around i'll be in great shape because I bought it for $50.

How old are you? if you are about to retire you need to be stable with your money. If you are young you can be a little more risky and chance getting very high returns. you need to sit down with your administrator.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I was +12% in 2012. That's low. A buddy was +18% because he didn't have as much in international funds as I did.

Rediversify and refund in the higher yielding funds.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I was +12% in 2012. That's low. A buddy was +18% because he didn't have as much in international funds as I did.

Rediversify and refund in the higher yielding funds.

really? International have always been one of my best performers. A little more risky though. If you had a bad year last year....expect a turnaround this year..

maybe.

jbs$

Established Member
It is time to look at inflation hedges, stocks with hard asset bases that will hold value.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
really? International have always been one of my best performers. A little more risky though. If you had a bad year last year....expect a turnaround this year..

maybe.

International took a beating in 2011. I got only 3% return from them after 2012. Over 5 years, -5-8%. Awful. I hope Greece and the other EU countries get their shit together, or we'll in for some deep trouble.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
International took a beating in 2011. I got only 3% return from them after 2012. Over 5 years, -5-8%. Awful. I hope Greece and the other EU countries get their shit together, or we'll in for some deep trouble.

good point, I forgot about all that Greece and EU stuff.

Sometimes it's better to play dumb.

I guess it also depends on your administrator. My old 401k was with a large company so they may of had more analyists.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I'm with Fedelity also, when the market was coming up from it's last "crash", I put everything into the Fixed Income Fund when the Dow hit 13000. I continued to buy my regular funds though. When the market crashes again, I will destribute my fixed income funds into different investments and watch it grow...

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm with Fedelity also, when the market was coming up from it's last "crash", I put everything into the Fixed Income Fund when the Dow hit 13000. I continued to buy my regular funds though. When the market crashes again, I will destribute my fixed income funds into different investments and watch it grow...

that's one thing with 401k's. you cant change your contributions hourly.

daily at best.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Its only a loss if you take it out. If your looking at retiring in the next couple years, one may want hedge your 401k and place it in a slow steady investment.

If your still 10+ years away from retirement, I would leave it alone. Maybe even stop contributions, and double up when and if the bottom does fall. Use your money to Buy Low!:idea:

I am actually more worried about executive orders allowing the government to take 401k's to pay off this insane spending. I would not put it past potus to say he needs our retirement to fund ss, medicaid, and medicare.

Last edited:

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Its only a loss if you take it out. If your looking at retiring in the next couple years, one may want hedge your 401k and place it in a slow steady investment.

If your still 10+ years away from retirement, I would leave it alone. Maybe even stop contributions, and double up when and if the bottom does fall. Use your money to Buy Low!:idea:

I am actually more worried about executive orders allowing the government to take 401k's to pay off this insane spending. I would not put it past potus to say he needs our retirement to fund ss, medicaid, and medicare.

If the government takes my 401k they better gaurantee a nice retirement for myself, just like they get.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Diversify your portfolio to lessen the odds of a big hit. That and being more conservative with your investments. Higher risk investments could pay bigger dividends, but they also come with that higher risk. As I near retirement age, my portfolio is more conservative. I like it that way. I also make it a point to sit with my financial adviser each Spring to review my portfolio, review my current and future needs, and make adjustments accordingly. Some review/make changes on a more frequent basis. My adviser is pretty sharp and she does alert me if she feels it is time for more changes.

AAG

Established Member
Nope, not worried. I had almost a 25% return on mine last year and I always keep an eye on it. If the stock market starts to drop again, ill move money around to stable funds and bonds until I feel comfortable moving it back.

VegasMichael

Established Member
If you are worried about a loss in your 401k equity account just transfer some/all into one of the Fidelity cash accounts. No, you won't make anything, but you stated you were worried about preservation.

Users who are viewing this thread