Anyone ever broke thier collar bone?

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
I wreaked my brothers 4-wheeler this weekend and snapped my right clavicle into. Now I cant work out or drive the cobra. :fm:
I went to the ER and got put in a sling and 8-point brace. I will hopefully get to see an orthopediest tomorrow. Just wondering how long you guys were down and out of work? I know it depends on age too. I am 31 and in good shape and consider my self pretty healthy.
Hopefully I am not going to need surgery. Thanks, Ryan

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Sorry to hear man, that sux. I've never broken my collarbone but my buddy did sliding a kneeboard into a dock trying to spray a dog. He was strung up for less than a month. Took him a bit longer to try to spray the dog again.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I've broke my collar bones 3 times. Twice on the right, once on the left. Never broke any other bone in my body either. All three breaks were done on two-wheeled vehicles... I have/had a propensity when racing BMX or MX and crash to hit my collar bone on the handle bars...

You'll have decent mobility in a couple weeks, but don't try lifting or using your arm to support yourself. It'll take 6-8 weeks of wearing that figure-8 brace before it's healed.

U.M.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
^ what he said. I turned mine into an A frame doing some back yard football at a BBQ. Some advice is to go get some full button down shirts if you dont have them already or O' boy are you gonna be in some pain

AF EOD

Established Member
My roommate just broke his collarbone a few months ago. He was out of commission for about a month. He was still able to do little things but it was painful to lift anything. The doc said there was nothing he could do for the break and it would have to heal on its own. A little over a month later he was able to start working out again and now his left shoulder sits a little lower than his right, barely noticeable though.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Broke mine last April (flipped a ATV) and really knocked myself out. Ended up having to have surgery because I turned my right collarbone to powder. Grafted in a 6" piece of cadaver clavicle grafted in.

Had the surgery 2 weeks after breaking it, spent 1 month in a sling, another month out of the sling but with serious mobility restrictions & then a 3rd month with medium mobility restrictions....

So roughly 3 1/2 months before I was cleared to go back to normal activity. It's been right at a year and I still have some pain and not quite all my strength in it (I'd say it's about 95% now...)

Doctor told me it would be about 2 years total before the bone was truly 100%...

m_e301723a8c1d44dbaac42e1c655c1218.jpg

m_90aa54f5bebb42f0ab57475eeda87159.jpg

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
broke mine when i was in high school and my god that some pain!! (and i've broke a good number of bones)

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Broke mine last April (flipped a ATV) and really knocked myself out. Ended up having to have surgery because I turned my right collarbone to powder. Grafted in a 6" piece of cadaver clavicle grafted in.

Had the surgery 2 weeks after breaking it, spent 1 month in a sling, another month out of the sling but with serious mobility restrictions & then a 3rd month with medium mobility restrictions....

So roughly 3 1/2 months before I was cleared to go back to normal activity. It's been right at a year and I still have some pain and not quite all my strength in it (I'd say it's about 95% now...)

Doctor told me it would be about 2 years total before the bone was truly 100%...

m_e301723a8c1d44dbaac42e1c655c1218.jpg

m_90aa54f5bebb42f0ab57475eeda87159.jpg

Ouch!! I feel lucky compared to you.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Pain is hit or miss. Depends on how I move. Its a clean break but its pointing up sort of like a triangle poking into the top of my shoulder.

mine was pretty sore for about week and then just sorta sore after that for 3 or so weeks

but the initial break OMG that hurt lol

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
just hope you broke it in a spot that doesnt need surgery, then you should be fine as long as you are careful and dont over do it. good luck man

Sirhc7897

Established Member
mine was pretty sore for about week and then just sorta sore after that for 3 or so weeks

but the initial break OMG that hurt lol

My pain was real funny how it hit:

I flipped the quad next ot a highway and hopped right up and flipped it back over no problems (no pain at all). When I flipped it I realized the handlebars were crushed into the gas tank. I went to reach into my pocket with my right hand (broke the right clavicle) to grab my phone and get my buddy to bring his truck to load it and then holy hell the pain hit and I liked to black out.......I was OK as long as I wasn't moving it but when I was in the ER later and the X-Ray tech had me setting up for X-rays I liked to black out again. They were worried initially since they couldn't "find" a large chunk of my clavicle (since it turned out that I had turned it to powder so fine it wasn't showing up in the X-ray) that I was potentially at risk of having the "missing" part of my clavicle puncture my lung.......

Worst part of it all for me was sleeping:
-I couldn't lay down and sleep for the 1st 2 months so I had to sit up in the corner of the couch and "try" to sleep. Really meant I spent about 8 hours a night in pain without sleeping.....

But after that was the absolute worst part for me......I like to sleep on my stomach with my right arm up over my head and that was a no go for easily 6 months after I was cleared for normal activity due to the intense pain and pressure I felt trying to put my arm in that position.......Not sleeping good for about 7 months really begins to screw with your emotions..let me tell you.....

I did get back on the Quad after I was healed but never had the nerve to really hang it out like I used ot and ended up selling it to my buddy.....

Next toy I get for off road use will have a roll cage.....:beer:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Yup broke my left one playing football. Still today this today when people talk about breaking their collar bones or if I even read it I cringe up and get chills.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
figure 8 braces have not been shown to alter healing/outcomes after clavicle fractures---and they're uncomfortable to wear. if your orthopedist insists that you wear one, then see another orthopedist, as he is clearly not up to date on the new literature/studies. there's also been a move to operate on more clavicle fractures---

without seeing your x-rays, i can't give you any more advice than that. good luck.

usual treatment involves avoiding contact sports for at least 3 months, and no vigorous overhead activity for at least 6 weeks. other than that, you can pretty much do your normal daily activities within reason.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
figure 8 braces have not been shown to alter healing/outcomes after clavicle fractures---and they're uncomfortable to wear. if your orthopedist insists that you wear one, then see another orthopedist, as he is clearly not up to date on the new literature/studies. there's also been a move to operate on more clavicle fractures---

without seeing your x-rays, i can't give you any more advice than that. good luck.

usual treatment involves avoiding contact sports for at least 3 months, and no vigorous overhead activity for at least 6 weeks. other than that, you can pretty much do your normal daily activities within reason.

I will have to wait and see what he says about the brace as this is all new to me. I have the x-rays on a disc they gave me but I cant save them to my computer or I would post them up.
I am just concerned about how much work I am going to have to miss. I work in a lab so I need alot of range of motion but dont lift much weight.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I will have to wait and see what he says about the brace as this is all new to me. I have the x-rays on a disc they gave me but I cant save them to my computer or I would post them up.
I am just concerned about how much work I am going to have to miss. I work in a lab so I need alot of range of motion but dont lift much weight.

If you can open them to view them you can use the "printscreen" function and then paste them inot paint and save as a image file.

My X-rays were the same way (some viewer program they provided) and that was the only way I could save them....

Users who are viewing this thread