Anyone ever had their car’s title sent to them while still paying on it?

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Before work tonight, I noticed my girlfriend’s title to her car on the table, so I picked it up and there was a letter attached saying that the loan has been satisfied and they signed off on the title... but she just got the vehicle last year, it’s not even close to being paid off, she checked her balance online and it still says she owes... I’m just wondering if someone over there made a mistake or what, because I’ve never received a title before making that last payment.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pretty certain someone made a mistake, or it's a computer glitch.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I get all my titles, but it's because in Oklahoma YOU hold the title. It will just say that it has a lien on it until it's paid off. Then you send the title in to the state with proof that the lien is removed and they send you back a clean title.

sleek98

Established Member
We hold the titles as well in Missouri. Sounds like someone entered the wrong account number to generate a payoff letter.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Yes. When I bought my Shelby I had it shipped from a California dealership and they mailed me all the documentation, including the title, despite the fact I had a five year loan on it. I shrugged and put it in a drawer. A day or two later the dealership called and asked if I had the title. I said yes and was asked if I would please send it back which I did.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Yes. When I bought my Shelby I had it shipped from a California dealership and they mailed me all the documentation, including the title, despite the fact I had a five year loan on it. I shrugged and put it in a drawer. A day or two later the dealership called and asked if I had the title. I said yes and was asked if I would please send it back which I did.

"I'm sorry, but who is this? Shelby? No, no one by the name Shelby lives here. You have the wrong number"

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Lol they sent me my title before I ever paid one red cent on my loan...... No lean either! Not sure why but I wasn't complaining cause it makes it a lot easier to sell with Title in Hand if its not fully paid off which it is now.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a truck in 2017 and a Mustang in 2018. The dealer delayed sending paperwork to the lien holder for the Pony and I got a request to get it straight. After I got it straight, they sent me the title for my truck.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Michigan sends the title with the lien holder on it. When it is paid off the bank will send you a letter verifying the lien has been satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread