Anyone ever have this happen to them at the track?

scho1186

Established Member
So I have had my JLT CAI for about a year and a half. Went to the track on Friday, 2nd run down I slammed it into third and I hear a loud bang and I coast then the car dies. Does this about 5 times until I get her back to the staging area. Sure enough...

IntakeBreak.jpg

It looks like it snapped where they glued the 90 degree curve towards the fenderwell. Not sure how it happened or this ever happening to anyone.

Was dumb and went last minute with a friend, had no tools or even a jack. Borrowed a jack from a fellow mustang owner, got underneath and pulled the intake out through the bottom. Used some of the bends and got it to look like this without plugging in a couple things...just the MAF...

IntakeBreak2.jpg

Heres the Video, ran a 13.2 @ 88 MPH even with the break and stall
http://media.putfile.com/Intake-Break

Got some free time today and my buddy and I used the main pipe, sawed it in half, drilled a new hole for the sensor. Ran to the home depot to pick up a straight rubber elbow and it came out like this, my own fabbed RAI...

IMG_6501.jpg

IMG_6503.jpg

IMG_6502.jpg

The original JLT RAI
http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=4

Thought we got pretty Close. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. Overall the break cost me $8.52 at the track...not to shabby

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Nope. My JLT is 2 years old and has like 35K on it and I can't count how many track passes and overall stupid acts.

That's crazy.

cobraracer46

Banned
scho1186 said:
So I have had my JLT CAI for about a year and a half. Went to the track on Friday, 2nd run down I slammed it into third and I hear a loud bang and I coast then the car dies.

Got some free time today and my buddy and I used the main pipe, sawed it in half, drilled a new hole for the sensor. Ran to the home depot to pick up a straight rubber elbow and it came out like this, my own fabbed RAI...

This statement proves what I have been saying all along: why pay some one more than a hundred bucks for their Hardware store sewer drain pipe cold air kit when you can just spend a couple of dollars at your local hardware store and fab up your own cold air kit for less!:bash::thumbsup:

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
haha yes it happened at a 4k launch last year. apparently it wasnt installed correctly and it was resting on the inner fender so when the motor shifted, it had no room to move. but jlt was cool about it and sent me a new one.

scho1186

Established Member
I know the intake wasn't resting on anything, maybe the glue didn't do well with heat and over time weakened. I was going to call JLT because from what I have heard their customer service is real good, but I almost like the RAI better. Easier to change the filter and take off for any reason.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
This statement proves what I have been saying all along: why pay some one more than a hundred bucks for their Hardware store sewer drain pipe cold air kit when you can just spend a couple of dollars at your local hardware store and fab up your own cold air kit for less!:bash::thumbsup:

mostly b/c you get a 60+ dollar filter, plus a heat shield, and a 30 dollar MAF adapter...

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
scho1186 said:
I know the intake wasn't resting on anything, maybe the glue didn't do well with heat and over time weakened. I was going to call JLT because from what I have heard their customer service is real good, but I almost like the RAI better. Easier to change the filter and take off for any reason.

Mine took the heat of FL fine.

Def call Jay and see what he says.

Users who are viewing this thread