Anyone ever ordered a replacement front bumper?

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
A towing company busted the rivets on my front bumper when loading my 03 cobra. I'm just thinking worst case scenario here in case they try to challenge and not replace. I want a factory replacement but have looked at ordering a replica that is not OEM. Have any of you ever ordered one that is a replica and been happy with the results as far as quality/fit issues go? If so, can you let me know where you ordered from? Thanks for any info.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
Bad news for you. I think your bumper has been discontinued by FORD so it's going to be a little harder to get your hands on. If you can, always try to get FORD parts. They fit so much better.

*EDIT* - This coming from an 8 year FORD/SUBARU Parts guy who spent 3 of those working on the Body Shop counter at a FORD/Subaru dealer. This is my opinion. I could be wrong. Just ask my ex girlfriends.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Bad news for you. I think your bumper has been discontinued by FORD so it's going to be a little harder to get your hands on. If you can, always try to get FORD parts. They fit so much better.

*EDIT* - This coming from an 8 year FORD/SUBARU Parts guy who spent 3 of those working on the Body Shop counter at a FORD/Subaru dealer. This is my opinion. I could be wrong. Just ask my ex girlfriends.

Wrong and wrong. Bumper is not discontinued by Ford - 2R3Z.17D957.BA

And any good bodyman can make an aftermarket piece fit just like oem. Just may take some extra work. But they can all be made to fit the same. I've got an AM piece on my car and it fits PERFECTLY.

Steve@Tasca

The OEM cover is absolutely still available, Ford has about 30 in the depot system right now and I could have one within 1-2 days.

Our price for you guys $455.00 plus shipping, the shipping is the tough part because it's expensive due to dimensions and damage is always a concern.

-Steve

Zemedici

Established Member
The OEM cover is absolutely still available, Ford has about 30 in the depot system right now and I could have one within 1-2 days.

Our price for you guys $455.00 plus shipping, the shipping is the tough part because it's expensive due to dimensions and damage is always a concern.

-Steve

:beer:

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Thanks for the info everyone. I can't believe how much this is going to end up costing after the bumper and the paint!

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
Wrong and wrong. Bumper is not discontinued by Ford - 2R3Z.17D957.BA

And any good bodyman can make an aftermarket piece fit just like oem. Just may take some extra work. But they can all be made to fit the same. I've got an AM piece on my car and it fits PERFECTLY.

Cool. I tried getting one a year or so ago and FORD didn't have any. They were listed on backorder and at 10 years old they sometimes don't fulfill those backorders and discontinue the part. I'm happy to say I'm wrong.

On to fitment. Maybe I had some really picky body men working with me. Depending on the vendor, the aftermarket stuff could be decent quality or absolute garbage. Again, this is my experience. I'm glad I'm wrong.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Look into repairing it. Is it torn or cracked? You'd be surprised at what can be fixed.

Steve@Tasca

Cool. I tried getting one a year or so ago and FORD didn't have any. They were listed on backorder and at 10 years old they sometimes don't fulfill those backorders and discontinue the part. I'm happy to say I'm wrong.

On to fitment. Maybe I had some really picky body men working with me. Depending on the vendor, the aftermarket stuff could be decent quality or absolute garbage. Again, this is my experience. I'm glad I'm wrong.

That does happen and to be honest I'm a bit surprised that Ford still produces that bumper cover.

I've also seen many issues with quality and fitment issues on aftermarket body parts, in fact I'd say that aftermarket body parts that fit correctly are the exception rather than the rule.

Look into repairing it. Is it torn or cracked? You'd be surprised at what can be fixed.

That's a fact, it's amazing what they can do with plastic welding these days.

-Steve

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
It is the rivets on the inside of the bumper. There is a chance you can plastic weld the rivets back but I have been told that they could easily break again. I def don't want to take that route if I would have to pay later.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
That does happen and to be honest I'm a bit surprised that Ford still produces that bumper cover.

I've also seen many issues with quality and fitment issues on aftermarket body parts, in fact I'd say that aftermarket body parts that fit correctly are the exception rather than the rule.

That's a fact, it's amazing what they can do with plastic welding these days.

-Steve

Aftermarket is horrible! They stack the bumpers in their warehouse so the weight on the bottom covers makes them deformed by the time you get them. Now just imagine how bad it is when you have aftermarket fenders, bumper, grille, and headlamps on an Altima! The gaps were atrocious.

It is the rivets on the inside of the bumper. There is a chance you can plastic weld the rivets back but I have been told that they could easily break again. I def don't want to take that route if I would have to pay later.

Sounds like it can be fixed. Especially if it's hidden damage it could be reinforced and repaired probably better than factory.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I heard AAA are real go getters when it comes to backing their customers, hope you get what you deserve (tow company about to get bent!!!). :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wasn't someone selling the covers on eBay back a year or so ago and someone here bought one and said the fit was very good? I would think an aftermarket cover could be fitted to look equal to the Ford cover. I can't see the towing company getting off on this one if you handle it right. Hopefully they'll do the right thing and you won't have to worry about aftermarket vs. original. Just demand original.

Woody6799

Established Member
I got a paint matched China knock off bumper and the fit and finish is actually very good. I was able to locate one paint sag when it was off the car, but on you have never been able to see it. OEM was the way I wanted to go but it was way too expensive for me at the time.

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
It does seem to be that way. I have been impressed with how they are staying on top of things.
I heard AAA are real go getters when it comes to backing their customers, hope you get what you deserve (tow company about to get bent!!!). :)

I am hoping that it is all taken care of. If the towing company comes through, I am probably going to pay extra and have a clear bra put on.
Wasn't someone selling the covers on eBay back a year or so ago and someone here bought one and said the fit was very good? I would think an aftermarket cover could be fitted to look equal to the Ford cover. I can't see the towing company getting off on this one if you handle it right. Hopefully they'll do the right thing and you won't have to worry about aftermarket vs. original. Just demand original.

I understand. Hoping that this doesn't have to come out of my pocket.
I got a paint matched China knock off bumper and the fit and finish is actually very good. I was able to locate one paint sag when it was off the car, but on you have never been able to see it. OEM was the way I wanted to go but it was way too expensive for me at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread