Anyone ever publish a book?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Just tossing it around. I have written a small piece. Somewhat of a tell all, non fiction of a family survival, what my brothers and sisters, and my father went through last few years.

I didnt plan on publishing it. Not looking to make a cent really. I have let some folks around here read it and they say it should be told.

Anyone anyone?

Sent from my Schlong using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Not gonna lie, I've been waiting on this. I can't answer your question but post a link when its published and I'll buy it off the strength of some of your past stories on here.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Not gonna lie, I've been waiting on this. I can't answer your question but post a link when its published and I'll buy it off the strength of some of your past stories on here.
Lol, this one is for real tho. I could send it to the hallmark channel and they'd make a movie of the week.

verbal

Established Member
My mom has published a lot of books for her work through major publishers. A couple of years ago she wrote a personal book that none of the publishers would pick up so she did a self-published eBook through Amazon. I don’t think she made much money on it but it was important that she got it published.

If it is something that you are just doing for the hell of it and don’t expect to make any money then Amazon is probably the way to go.

tistan

Established Member
My Uncle writes scifi. He tried to get published for years. Amazon was best thing to ever happen to him. He no longer needs a publisher to make money.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I had the info for a decent self publisher with distribution. I'll be able to did out the info tomorrow.

I'm writing a book right now, but I may end up splitting it in two. I want to keep it short and easy to read, but you may have noticed my writing style is a bit verbose.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Just tossing it around. I have written a small piece. Somewhat of a tell all, non fiction of a family survival, what my brothers and sisters, and my father went through last few years.

I didnt plan on publishing it. Not looking to make a cent really. I have let some folks around here read it and they say it should be told.

Anyone anyone?

The last dishwashah I dated was a published author. 27 kids books. I remember her saying that she found an editor that had connections and really helped her get her start. After the first couple of books (and the help of the editor) it was smooth sailing.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
My advice is what several have already mentioned: self-publish on Amazon. It is so easy even a writer can figure it out, doesn't cost a cent, and the accounting is better than any provided by any previous traditional publisher. It's the best thing that has ever happened for a writer since Gutenberg invented the modern printing press.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Also: nuts and bolts stuff:

1.) You do not need to get a copyright. You can, but it costs money and isn't necessary. All original works have a natural copyright, one that holds up in court, if you ever need it.

2.) Forget about getting an agent. You don't need it, and at your level they'll want money up front. It's not cheap, and it isn't necessary. Used to be publishers only talked to agents, not new authors. so new authors needed agents. Not with Amazon, they don't.

3.) DO NOT give one red cent of your money to any organization that offers to publish your story for a certain fee. These are called "vanity publishers," and they are always a rip off. And there is nothing they can do for you that you can't get done via Amazon, i.e., put your work up in front of millions of potential readers.

4.) Self-publish on Amazon: it's easy, you can figure it out in one evening, and you don't owe a cent to anyone, and you can't find a larger, wider, potential audience.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
The only exception to the copyright rule is this: movies and tv scritpwriting. Theft is rampant in that industry. Still harder than hell to get in to, and why would you want to? They don't have writiers, in Holywood, they have secretaries with a flair for dialogue, to quote Kenneth Brannagh. And theft is rampant.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I’m published

F3E6A9CB-0824-4DD6-8F78-20A7AC754962.jpeg

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry, pal. Even the wildest fantasy has to have some element of plausibility to allow the reader to enter the state of suspension of disbelief. The central premise of this? Even a gifted director wouldn't option it for a film, and they usually don't even care about the story.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry, pal. Even the wildest fantasy has to have some element of plausibility to allow the reader to enter the state of suspension of disbelief. The central premise of this? Even a gifted director wouldn't option it for a film, and they usually don't even care about the story.

Users who are viewing this thread