Anyone Familiar with Cilajet Ceramic Coating???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm thinking about getting a new car coated in this stuff at the dealership. Cost is $1500 inside and out. Anyone with experience have an opinion of the quality or price of this product?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does the dealer actually to the coating, Sid, or do they send it to a local shop? Pretty common for dealerships to send it out. If the dealership does do it, I'd have to see a few recent positive reviews before I'd trust them. I'd rather deal with a professional detailing shop.

Hope Scott or Mike see this thread so you get their input/advice on the actual product. Otherwise, Message either one. It's description is interesting, as it's claimed to be the only Aviation Grade ceramic coating on the market.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, and I recommend treating your wheels and trim, too. Also the windshield. When my buddy did my GV70, he did just that, and it is still so easy to clean my wheels. No brake dust accumulates, which might in part be due to the pads that Genesis uses. I couldn't wash my vehicle for about a week after the application, to allow it to fully cure. It wasn't Cilijet, but you should check to see what they recommend if you go with it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Does the dealer actually to the coating, Sid, or do they send it to a local shop? Pretty common for dealerships to send it out. If the dealership does do it, I'd have to see a few recent positive reviews before I'd trust them. I'd rather deal with a professional detailing shop.

Hope Scott or Mike see this thread so you get their input/advice on the actual product. Otherwise, Message either one. It's description is interesting, as it's claimed to be the only Aviation Grade ceramic coating on the market.

The dealership does it in house. I've known the salesman for several years, and he's never steered me wrong. I'm also going to be on hand while they do the work, so you'll see the results here on SVTP.

Oh, and I recommend treating your wheels and trim, too. Also the windshield. When my buddy did my GV70, he did just that, and it is still so easy to clean my wheels. No brake dust accumulates, which might in part be due to the pads that Genesis uses. I couldn't wash my vehicle for about a week after the application, to allow it to fully cure. It wasn't Cilijet, but you should check to see what they recommend if you go with it.

They'll be doing it inside and out.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
I don't like it. They will literally just apply it to the paint without any prep. Sure, they give you a warranty with it, but...

As for the interior coating, it will have a lifespan of about a year MAX. A lot of friction going on inside, in and out of the seats,etc.

For that price I'd look for a pro shop around you and have them do it for a, I'd imagine, but depends on your area, similar price with actual prep and a pro/name brand/known product.

Just my 2 cents!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I don't like it. They will literally just apply it to the paint without any prep. Sure, they give you a warranty with it, but...

As for the interior coating, it will have a lifespan of about a year MAX. A lot of friction going on inside, in and out of the seats,etc.

For that price I'd look for a pro shop around you and have them do it for a, I'd imagine, but depends on your area, similar price with actual prep and a pro/name brand/known product.

Just my 2 cents!

What type of prep should I be looking for. Is there an issue with the specific product? I've seen good reviews on it from other sites.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I do hope the end result will be as good as what you'd get from a local professional detailing shop. I've used dealerships three times over the years for exterior protection. None were worth the money we paid.

Some questions to ask.
Do they prepare the paint for the Cilajet? If so, what is done?
How long does it take to apply the Cilajet to the exterior?
How long do you have to wait before you wash your vehicle after the application?

I like Scott's advice about visiting one or two professional detailing shops in your area. Ask them about the products they use and how they apply the product. Compare prices and services rendered with the dealership.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I do hope the end result will be as good as what you'd get from a local professional detailing shop. I've used dealerships three times over the years for exterior protection. None were worth the money we paid.

My advice, Sid, is not to commit to the dealership doing the work just yet. Why not follow Scott's advice and visit one or two professional detailing shops in your area and talk to them about the products they use and how they apply the product. Compare prices and services rendered with the dealership. I would be interested in knowing how long it will take the dealership to apply the Cilajet product to the exterior and interior of your vehicle. My Genesis dealer tried to sell me on an exterior/interior protection package for around $1,200. I was told it would only take about two hours. I called my buddy the professional detailer and asked him for his advice. He laughed and told me to not waste my money. He told me to drop off my GV70 to him, give him 3 days, and he'd amaze me with the result and the long term effectiveness. Yep, I was amazed. Still am!

I don't have the time. They said it'll take about half a day with their crew.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
By the way, the reason why I had to wait 7 days for the ceramic before washing my vehicle is because the ceramic had to completely cure.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't have the time. They said it'll take about half a day with their crew.
I'd make the time, but it's your choice. I hope it works out for you. I figured the time would be under 4 hours. I'm still looking forward to your review after they finish. And maybe a follow-up review in 12 months.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd make the time, but it's your choice. I hope it works out for you. I figured the time would be under 4 hours. I'm still looking forward to your review after they finish. And maybe a follow-up review in 12 months.

It's going on a BRaptor, so I'm more interested in it being able to shed dirt than having a show car finish. I know if I don't do it now I never will. I'm not going to do anything but get busier in the next few months.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Paint correction is the prep prior to a coating installation...

It may shed dirt, it'll have hydrophobic properties.

It's just a 'bulk' type product, and half a day is quick. They would most likely just be applying it to the painted surfaces and your interior.

Keep us posted and pics when you can!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Paint correction is the prep prior to a coating installation...

It may shed dirt, it'll have hydrophobic properties.

It's just a 'bulk' type product, and half a day is quick. They would most likely just be applying it to the painted surfaces and your interior.

Keep us posted and pics when you can!

It's not a show car, so paint correction is not a huge priority for me. I just want it to be easier to keep clean.

SVTXTC

Established Member
Best to not let them touch it anymore than needed. My friend distributes and trains similar products to franchise dealers. First step of the training is to let the detail guys know it’s important not to eat or drink the product. Best to leave this type of stuff to the pros like NastyGT500

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
I personally have never heard of Cilajet.
All the jobs I do, I "prep" the paint first.

...Even if this does not include polishing the paint.
Prep includes decontaminating the paint.
A clay bar will leave fine micro-marring on the paint.

As stated above, I would go with a local professional detailing shop.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I personally have never heard of Cilajet.
All the jobs I do, I "prep" the paint first.

...Even if this does not include polishing the paint.
Prep includes decontaminating the paint.
A clay bar will leave fine micro-marring on the paint.

As stated above, I would go with a local professional detailing shop.

They did a major cleaning beforehand. I'm happy with the result so far. The paint looks great and bug guts from the 800 mile trip home were easily removed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's not a show car, so paint correction is not a huge priority for me. I just want it to be easier to keep clean.
If that's all you're looking for, then you should be okay. But that price they're charging is pretty steep if all they did was a general cleaning followed by the Cilajet product. Do you know what they actually did, as far as "major cleaning", Sid?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If that's all you're looking for, then you should be okay. But that price they're charging is pretty steep if all they did was a general cleaning followed by the Cilajet product. Do you know what they actually did, as far as "major cleaning", Sid?

I watched them use a bunch of different products over several hours on it. I have no doubt I paid a premium for the convenience of having it done on short notice as soon as I bought it, but that goes with everything in life. It definitely paid off when I got home and washed it. Bug guts just wiped off with soap and water.

Users who are viewing this thread