Anyone happy with 3.73 gears vs. 4.10's

mystical

Established Member
4.10s will make u faster in the 1/4. But 3.73's give you a little more top end on the highway

Not necessarily. 4.10's are actually not the best choice for the 1/4 since they have you shifting into 4th right before the traps thereby hurting your et. With 3.73's you can wind out 3rd but as we all know that is no where near enough gear for a 4V. That is why I say 4.56 ftw:rockon:

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
I knew I should have stayed away from this topic. Sorry SVT guys. Anyway, I think that the 4.10's would just annoy me and I may just go with the 3.73's. Still contemplating it all.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
I debated 3.73 vs 4.10 and in the end went with the svt consensus and put in 4.10's. I couldn't be happier. Its still very comfortable on the highway, only revs ~24-2500 rpm at 70mph (speed limit here). It pulls way harder thru the gears and will chirp going into 3rd if I'm on it. Overall very happy with performance & drivability.

I can definely see how some go even steeper but IMHO 4.10's are the way to go for a good compromise. Take your time to make sure what you want, try a friends car etc, you'll only want to spend the time and money once.

Mike

tankerman1981

Established Member
i have 3.73's and i love it... just enough to give a good pull and get in my powerband quick but not enough to be spinning out of control in 1st and 2nd... but in the end its all a matter of what you like.... good luck

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I knew I should have stayed away from this topic. Sorry SVT guys. Anyway, I think that the 4.10's would just annoy me and I may just go with the 3.73's. Still contemplating it all.

Here's my .02 I have 4:10's and would love to drop to 3:73's the car just runs too high in the RPM's all the time for the way I drive it and it's a little annoying just seems like it's always trying too hard. Can't even drive it calmly without it seeming like I am on the gas hard. I would even consider 3:55's just based on the math shown in the gear calculator sites for what the differences are between the 4:10's and 3:73's but I would go with the 73's if your not planning on dragging the car or trying to seem like you are pushing it all the time. This is just my .02 and I know I am WRONG according to 98.9% or more of people on here but there ya go lol.:beer:

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
Kwikie,

Thanks for your .02. I know it's hard to go against the crowd. I just won't be happy until I pull the trigger and just get them installed. I think the 4.10's are a bit much, but everyone says to "not fear the gear". I really need to just drive someones car and see how she feels.
Thanks.

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
Kwikie,

Thanks for your .02. I know it's hard to go against the crowd. I just won't be happy until I pull the trigger and just get them installed. I think the 4.10's are a bit much, but everyone says to "not fear the gear". I really need to just drive someones car and see how she feels.
Thanks.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Kwikie,

Thanks.

Come on out to denver it's not that far you can hammer on mine and see lol.:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread