anyone install new carpet/laminate/floors ?

nxhappy

Established Member
well.... the shit show has started LOL.

finally getting rid of my old, shitty, nasty, disgusting carpet. Bought a nice dark-ish gray laminate flooring. ripped out all carpet. All the nail strips, all the baseboards. leveled out the concrete. One small section of tile is going to be removed to keep the flow. Second floor is wood sub floor. Some spots need leveling. Fixed some squeaky spots with new screws in to the joist. Tomorrow we will start laying the underlayment and begin the new floors !

can't wait for the new look. Once it's all done ill post some pics. this shit is really stressful with 2 children and moving all the furniture around. ****ing nails and dust all over the place hahaha. but I do enjoy a new challenge. should come in handy for future projects. I still need to buy the wood for the stair case, that will be another project once we get this floor installed. should be fun !

any full time carpenters out there ? anyone else tackle their flooring ?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I pulled out all the carpet and wood last year and did vinyl along with the baseboards. Still have a bunch of tile floors.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any installation/prep tips you can post here as you progress should help others attempting a similar project in the future.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
With the mother in law suite we did, we decided to tear out all the linoleum and wood sheathing between the addition to our kitchen. I was responsible for pulling the sheathing staples. The dust created was amazing and pulling a million staples out sucked, but the vinyl planking looks great.

tistan

Established Member
The only tip I can give is fit and finish is very hard for home owner to achieve. Most of the time when I see a dyi job on flooring, there are holes and gaps at bottoms of the door jambs.

utlong31

Established Member
The only tip I can give is fit and finish is very hard for home owner to achieve. Most of the time when I see a dyi job on flooring, there are holes and gaps at bottoms of the door jambs.

Yes don’t do this. Saw this in a house I worked on recently. It was a lot worse than this but I didn’t get a picture. 1/4 round in door ways. Please under cut your door ways it’s not hard to do.
IMG_9806.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes don’t do this. Saw this in a house I worked on recently. It was a lot worse than this but I didn’t get a picture. 1/4 round in door ways. Please under cut your door ways it’s not hard to do.
View attachment 1725058

This is why I leave all the baseboard and trim on when I install one of these floating floors. I just run a jamb saw around the entire room, and the flooring slides under it perfectly. No gaps anywhere.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This is why I leave all the baseboard and trim on when I install one of these floating floors. I just run a jamb saw around the entire room, and the flooring slides under it perfectly. No gaps anywhere.
I replaced all mine with a bigger one.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Using a jamb saw also eliminates any unsightly gaps between the floor and base/trim. The jamb saw follows any imperfections in the levelness of the floor in the home.
They were 3", replaced all of them with 6". I did the floor first, then the baseboards.

MG0h3

Established Member
Never heard of a jamb saw.

I just did the LVP in a spare bedroom following a leak in the tub.

Had half the baseboard off due to mold so I said screw it and pulled the rest.

Did the quarter round thing once and it looks like shit in my opinion.

I like the LVP way more than laminate.

65621634863__4BECA873-2A2A-4C72-B3D9-AD377277C445.JPG

MG0h3

Established Member
Op, so the first thing is picking which way the floor will lay.

When you are assembling the pieces, you will hear and feel when it is seated to the next piece. I bought and install kit 15yrs ago that came with a plastic block and metal bar for use when seating the pieces lengthwise when you’re up to the wall and can’t use the block.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Op, so the first thing is picking which way the floor will lay.

When you are assembling the pieces, you will hear and feel when it is seated to the next piece. I bought and install kit 15yrs ago that came with a plastic block and metal bar for use when seating the pieces lengthwise when you’re up to the wall and can’t use the block.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Yep, important to get them locked in to avoid seams. I used an old piece of wood floor and a small piece of that to pound into the wall as a spacer.

Users who are viewing this thread