Anyone into RC cars?

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
This thread makes me want one, but that is the LAST thing I need, another hobby that I dont get to.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Fond memories ordering Tamiya cars and bits from Tower Hobbies (over the phone or mail order). That was 40+ years ago. HOLY CRAP, tower hobbies is still in business.

RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Airplanes, Model Trains, and Slot Cars at Tower Hobbies

Sorry Im bringing nothing to this thread, but my own memory lane.....

What dreams were made of back in the day.

1717458288027.png

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
How do you clean them? My buddy says a little dawn soap mixed with water in a spray bottle, then he hoses everything off with water. Dry with air compressor. I see the slash is waterproof.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I try to keep most out of damp/wet areas. For just dirt air compressor.
When it gets wet/muddy I just use a garden hose, Air and then the quick drying silicone WD-40 everywhere. Prevents rust/doesn't make dirt stick compared to traditional WD-40.

Still rocking 4 year old bearings/stock brushed motor on a TRX that survived two kids learning how to drive RC cars. And they drove it into the nearby ditch multiple times fully submerged.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I'm into it. I have

Ofna Ultra GT LX Pro (1/8 Nitro Off Road Buggy)
HPI RS 4 Type 3 SS (1/10 Nitro On Road Touring)
Team Losi XXXS (1/10 On Road Electric Touring)
Agama A215 (1/8 Nitro Off Road Buggy)
Duratrax Axis (1/8 Nitro Off Road Buggy)
Towwer Hobbies Tower Terror (1/10 Nitro Truck)
Traxxas Russler Original (1/10 Stadium Truck Electric)

They are all older, mint condition, lots of hop-ups, and a lot of fun to drive.

The Mech

Established Member
I was really into the Tamiya stuff when I was a kid in the 80's. It still holds a lot of nostalgia for me, however nowadays I really enjoy building them rather that running them.
I always try and build replicas of the real vehicles that I own at the time and find it really satisfying.
This was a WRX converted Brat I build a few years ago, of course a replica was needed..

Another replica..

Others I've enjoyed building..

It's a real shame more kids aren't into the hobby, as I firmly believe that it really contributed to my mechanical interest throughout my life and it really builds mechanical knowledge and inquisitiveness early on.

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Been building, racing and running r/c cars since 1995. Have 35+ in my current collection now with anything from touring cars to solid axle monster trucks. Even have a Kyosho Blizzard snow cat. All scales from 1/8 scale 6s monster trucks down to 1/18 scale crawlers.

Favorite of mine is 1/10 scale solid axle monster trucks. Have built 20+ Tamiya Clodbusters over the years from mild to wild, retro race trucks to tube chassis and brushed to brushless. Raced them for a few years but stopped around 2017 as it was getting extremely expensive to repair mod class clodbusters every week.

Ill take some pictures of my fleet and post them up.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Funny the common theme here, how expensive it is to race these things. Try racing a full sized car @13COBRA @blk02edge ,to start with, understand....

Oh for sure. Haha

But to scale, the RC cars are pretty expensive. I honestly can't think of a time I ran it for 10+ minutes and didn't break something.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
What dreams were made of back in the day.

View attachment 1842877

Grasshopper was my first ever real RC car.

OP I prefer Losi to Traxxas but hard to go wrong with either.

I need to break mine out. 6 or 7 years ago I converted all my old stuff to modern brushless electronics and batterys. Got a Losi SCTE at the same time and pretty much upgraded everything as I broke it racing it. I need to bust them back out again.

All the old stuff I've had since a kid. I know I'm forgetting a bunch but they're still boxed up from a move a year ago. Don't have pics of everything.
Tamiya Mountaineer
Schumacher Cat
Losi XXT CR
Clodbuster
Losi SCTE 10
P51 Mustang gas plane
Pro Boat impulse 31

Losi 2.jpg
M and Cat.jpg

Boat truck.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely suggest something more off-roady...compared to the cars. I had a Traxxas X01 and an Armma Limitless. Each would run about 90mph. They weren't near as much fun as the 50-60mph truck stuff. Even rolling starts you'd shred tires in parking lots.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
lol! I bought a Traxxas Slash about 8 years ago and broke it within 20 seconds

Yep. Luckily, Traxxas parts are so easy to get and are fairly cheap. I just don't have the expendable time in my day to keep swapping axles and such haha It is a lot of fun when shit is working. I bought my 10 year old one of the fast Traxxas boats last year. It hasn't sunk yet, and I haven't had to replace anything. It's a lot of fun, probably runs 45-50mph or so. I might buy another one for me.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I briefly got back into RC cars 10+ years ago for maybe a week. Cannot even recall what I bought. I do remember getting foam tires so I could race it around my office. I got bored with it and jumped it off this giant staircase we had in the back of my office. It exploded into a million pieces and that was the end of that.

note: whoever made the point that faster is not better is spot on. I think the one I had went 70mph and I could not control it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread