Anyone know what projectors AMC theaters use?

JasonSnake

Established Member
I've noticed how you can see every pixel on the screen, even in the IMAX theater. In my area, there are Muvico theaters that charge about the same price for tickets, and actually still have student/mil/senior discounts. AMC does not. The projectors in Muvico theaters appear to be Sony 4K's (not sure what is used for the IMAX though) and have an awesome image. No way to tell pixels apart.

oldmodman

Established Member
They are using the 4K Sony projectors.

But a lot of the theaters are screwing the customers. They leave the 3D lenses in the projectors rather than changing them out for the correct 2D lenses when showing 2D films.
The result is a dim, low contrast image that sucks. The reason they don't change the lens is the difficulty in doing so. You have to open up the projector casing and that requires a password
while the box is hooked up to the internet. otherwise it locks down and won't turn on again until a tech comes out. Sony is refusing to talk about this problem.
Plus, a lot of theaters are leaving the bulbs in play long after they are supposed to change them. This not only results in a dimmer picture but also a color shift.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very interesting and helpful info, Drew. I learned something new today.

Satyr

Established Member
I'd gladly pay the ticket price if they would lower the popcorn and drink price.

This. Even fifteen years ago, a movie for two with popcorn and a drink was ~$20. Now, the tickets are $25-30 and the popcorn and drink can be as much as another $20-25 in my area. Insanity.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I haven't been to a movie theater in probably 8 years. At this point, I'll wait for the movie to come out on Netflix or rent it from Amazon. Theater prices are ridiculous and some of the points oldmodman made make me want to go even less. There should be A+ quality projectors and correct lenses to warrant that kind of crazy pricing.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I haven't paid to go to the theater in years. My wife and I either go to the free theater on base and buy a soda for $2 or we go to the regular theater when someone gives us free tickets. Although she will pay to go when her friends want to go. Other than that I just wait for Netflix.

If the theaters want to charge outrageous prices, they can make sure they have the right lenses and fresh bulbs in their projectors.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I'll go once or twice a month. I don't like the prices, but I enjoy going and with a young daughter it's something to do, especially in the winter. It's $40-$50 for me, wife and daughter to go. Out to eat before and it's pushing a $100.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Ahhhh....

AMC Theaters.... :pop:

This subject brought back some good memories working there when I was in High School with my ol' buddies [20+ years ago]....

Though the one I worked @ was torn-down about 10 years ago....

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Cant recall the last time I paid for a full priced ticket. I get discounts or free tickets most of the time when I see an advanced screening.

Never witnessed a pixel screen. Most theaters here have dedicated rooms for either 3D or 2D.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Theaters these days are using digital projectors, late last year the movie studios stopped producing movies on film, now each week the theater gets a box of "flash drives" of each movie that is then plugged into the projector for each theater.

As for the ticket prices, the theaters actually do not make any money on the tickets.
Let's say a hit movie comes out, the first week the studio gets 100% of the ticket sales, week 2 it's 90% studio, 10% movie theater, week three 80%, 20%, and so on.

By the time the movie theater owner gets 100% of the ticket sales, theres probably only 4 people in the theater watching the movie.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Redbox FTW $1.50 to rent a blu ray... F going to the movie theaters.

Better food/drinks and less bullshit in my home theater.

-Brian

Users who are viewing this thread