Anyone like the Suzuki Samurais?

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Hey guys I have been looking at getting a suzuki samurai as a beater. They seem like cool little cars, and get pretty decent mileage to boot. I've also heard that they are basically indestructable.
I have only heard good things about them so far but I've only talked to a couple off road buddies. Has anyone on here ever had one or been in one?
Anyone have any opinions on them? Any feedback is appreciated.

Stinger2011

Established Member
My dad's had a couple, but he had to sell them because his back and hip hurts too bad to shift. If they'd been automatic he'd still have them. They're pretty good vehicles.

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
I think they are awesome little 4x4's. I was looking for a cheap beater 4x4 for winter use and that was what I was first looking for. I quickly found out that unmolested, good condition Samurais don't come cheap.

Ended up getting a $600 5.0 Explorer instead.

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
You can always get a Tracker........

BTW, NWS, language. Or, just mute and LOL....

[youtube_browser]lbxBFb3A5ak[/youtube_browser]

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
KIA is making some good looking SUV X-overs here too. Not bad priced and the quality seems to be improving each year.

mysterio

Established Member
Back in the late 80's, they were massively popular. Until the articles came out about them being prone to rolling over. Did Suzuki continue to make this model after all that bad publicity, or did they drop them? I can only vaguely recall that they were either dropped or changed as a result.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
My buddy had one is high back in 1991 and it was the most comfortable ride. Get a Ford Ranger, decent power and gas mileage

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
For Offroading they piss me off, a Samurai on 33's can go through everything I took my Bronco on 38's through. Not fair at all! haha

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
They are fun off road only, wouldn't trust them on road. Me and my buddy used to screw around with one and all we did was put a snorkel on it and some 33's and it went through everything. we had water up to the windshield a couple times and it kept going. Change the fluids when we got back home and repeat the next day.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
We get it already. Anything that isn't "built" in the US is junk. You make this clear in every thread someone makes about buying an import.:lol:;-)

I actually own a Mazda and a Subaru, both made in Japan, along with my a Cobra and I am contemplating buying a VW gti or Tdi, an M3 (all 3 made in germany), or maybe a new ecoboost F150.

I actually just hate junk cars.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
I remember the the Suzuki ads after the bad press about the tendency to roll-over:

Scene: A bunch of Samurai's going down the backstretch on the Daytona oval at very slow speed......
Voiceover: "They REEEAAALLY go straight...."

haz-matt

Established Member
I had one a few years ago. It had a small body lift and some 30inches or so tall maxxis mudders. This vehicle was extremely underpowered. It has a 1.3 litre engine that you can hold in the palm of your hand. It was fun, wasnt much bigger than a golf cart and would fit down some of the 4wheeler paths. In my experience It was unreliable. It would go 55mph down a hill with the wind at your back and the pedal to the floor. I would have enjoyed it alot more if it was geared a little lower and had about twice the power.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
But I never see any solid foundation, just personal opinions.

He asked for an opinion. I gave him an opinion based on experiences I've had, anecdotal evidence from mechanics, owners, and loan officers, and industry reviews and extended warranty repair cost and frequency reports. I will not do the research for someone else and post a myriad of links to articles, stories, poems, song, and reports unless they are a close personal friend or I'm getting paid to do so. However I will provide my opinion. Respect it or not, that is up to you.

I was unaware that I must back up my opinions to you for them to be valid opinions. You should go ahead and just stop posting until I change my ways.

Last edited:

DougT

Established Member
I had a few friends that had them, Great off road machines. Since I have been around the towing business ( last 15 yrs) and the trucking world all of my life i will tell you i have seen ALOT of people DIE in these things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread