Anyone pieced together a HID kit?

jliddle

Established Member
I have a set of 2001 Infiniti i30 headlights w/ factory HIDs. They still have good bulbs and ballasts. Are these parts worth keeping to piece together a kit later down the road?

oldmodman

Established Member
You should either keep them of put them on Craigslist.

I hope you were not considering just throwing them in the trash.

You should be able to get quite a nice bit of cash for them.

jliddle

Established Member
Our estimating software here at the shop has them priced at $1000 per headlight.

The mounting tabs are what is broken. They're from a total loss. So the only good things are the ballasts and bulbs

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Keep in mind that the people that are interested in them would be taking the housings apart and using the innards (the lens assembly) and reflectors.

You might want to offer them on HID Planet for sale.

JJs89lx

In the making.....
Established Member
Is this a bi-xenon or high/low set up? if so plenty of people would take a chance at buying, but if not then your market decreases... Plus it also depends on your price you want, frosted lens or clear lens. I would keep them for personal reasons just cause. Might do a fog light conversion or something, but they would gain no interest to me if they weren't bi-xenon or high/low set up other than for a fog light...

jliddle

Established Member
Here's the pics of what I have. Sorry if they're shitty or big. I'm on my phone.
6024645e-c893-e5ba.jpg
6024645e-c8a8-abb5.jpg
6024645e-c8bd-8b86.jpg
6024645e-c8cb-3e10.jpg
6024645e-c8da-00ee.jpg
6024645e-c8e8-5600.jpg

jliddle

Established Member
It looks like maybe one side has had a ballast/bulb replaced judging by the ballast with one connector vs the ballast with two.

Anybody more educated than me feel free to chime because I'm not an HID guru

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Def keep the bulb and ballast, they are good to have for an HID retrofit project. Not sure whats going on with the 2 ballast set-up. A lot of projectors out there use the D2R/D2S bulbs.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
The ballasts are definitely worth money, but I don't think the bulbs are. See, the i30 uses a D2R bulb in a reflector housing. A D2R utilizes paint on the bulb in order to give a better beam pattern. This is a bulb you do not want to use in a projector as a result.

jliddle

Established Member
I'll probably save ballast and bulbs just incase I have a vehicle down the road that needs a fog conversion

carnut101

Established Member
The ballasts are definitely worth money, but I don't think the bulbs are. See, the i30 uses a D2R bulb in a reflector housing. A D2R utilizes paint on the bulb in order to give a better beam pattern. This is a bulb you do not want to use in a projector as a result.

Scrape the paint off with a razor blade and it's identical to a D2S. D2Rs are for use in reflectors so they have a painted "cutoff" instead of a projector with a physical shield.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Keep in mind that the people that are interested in them would be taking the housings apart and using the innards (the lens assembly) and reflectors.

You might want to offer them on HID Planet for sale.

nobody does HID "reflector" retrofits, its HID Projector retrofits

Def keep the bulb and ballast, they are good to have for an HID retrofit project. Not sure whats going on with the 2 ballast set-up. A lot of projectors out there use the D2R/D2S bulbs.

It looks to me that the large box is the ballast, and the smaller box is the igniter, thats just a guess though, but the setup looks really old and bulky...

Projectors use D2S, reflectors use D2R, hence the R in D2R

Scrape the paint off with a razor blade and it's identical to a D2S. D2Rs are for use in reflectors so they have a painted "cutoff" instead of a projector with a physical shield.

Why bother? first off, you'll probably scratch the crap out of the capsule, get skin oils allover it and what not. Secondly, you'll have to notch the base to fit into a D2S slot, since the S and R are notched in different spots so you don't mix them up. And on top of all that, these are old used bulbs, they are probably due for a change anyways....

Also, the point of the paint on the capsule isn't for the cutoff, its to cut down on glare since they are used in a reflector housing. The optics of the reflector are what define the cutoff.

Users who are viewing this thread