anyone played with a 458 Italia..?

oldlugs

Established Member
Hey gang, just curious if anyone's had the chance to run a 458 Italia, and how they did.. I was cruising my KR on PCH yesterday, and a 458 was zippin' in & through traffic. I didn't want to play; had the wife, and TOO much traffic - cops all over. The 458 sounded sweet. How well do they run?

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I've never played with one, but they're not something you really want to mess with. Unless you're feeling bold and don't mind losing. Their 0-60 is under 4 seconds. Very impressive and beautiful car. Good luck when you get the chance to race one!

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Yeah the 458 is no joke. Anything less than a ZR1 and you will be dismissed in short order.
0-60 mph: 3.2 seconds
0-100 mph: 6.8 seconds
0-120 mph: 9.4 seconds
0-160 mph: 17.8 seconds
1/4 Mile: 11.2 seconds at 128.8 mph

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
I sat at a stoplight with one, both myself and my buddies E85 TVS GT500 (730rwhp), going 3 wide. Light turned green and we (both GT500s) launch like crazy (both of us on Nitto DRs). Mash it to about 45mph.

458 owner didn't even give a look over at us. Cruised from light to light.... LAME!!

RideThePONY

Say what?
Established Member
Guy over on SN95forums owned one. Think he had a video of him beating a procharged C5Z and a couple acceleration videos.

Last edited:

Zulu10SS

Established Member
I had one infront of me at a stop light , wasnt really a run but he took off like a bat out of hell and i followed behind in the same lane....wasnt very close lol...he slowed down and pulled up next to me...a guy and his wife both wearing bahama mama shirts in there mid 60s smiling and laughing like a bunch of school girls giving me the thumbs up, i smiled noddded and said thanks for the spanking.

slider701

Established Member
There is a good (but very long) set of threads on the Welcome to Club Cobra...The world's largest non-biased Cobra site! - Club Cobra forum where the owner of a 458 started a post about how he challenged a friend of his to a drag race in his Kirkham Cobra.

Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia - Club Cobra

Continuation of Thread: Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 Italia - Club Cobra

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTf0bj7Ho0U&feature=player_embedded"]‪Ferrari vs Cobra‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

The owner (Tommy) of the 458, a high power lawyer from DC thought he was going to sucker bet his friend, Dan Blitzeran (a high staked poker player) and take a cool $400K in cash away from Dan.......claiming that the modern technology would smash the 40 year old technology on the Cobra.

What the 458 owner didn't count on (or didn't do his homework) was that this Kirkham aluminum bodied Cobra (considered the finest in Cobra continuation cars) weighed in at 2200 lbs and had a 750 hp dual quad tunnel port 482 CID engine built by Keith Kraft.

When the first race was done the Cobra laid down a low 10 second run, beating the 458 by several tenths of a second and thus winning the required 1 of 3 races..........and sending the cocky 458 owner home $400K poorer.

The two threads played out over several months on the Cobra site, ending in the two owners renting the track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in March for this race.

Cliffs - The owner of the 750 HP 2200 lb Cobra on drag radials brought a howitzer to a gun fight and just barely won against the 458.......so you might want to make sure you got some serious HP in a 3500 lb Mustang before trying to go 1:1 with a 458.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I play with one from time to time. They're about as fast as the numbers suggest; what doesn't come across is how hooked up they are to boot. The magnetic suspension and e-diff are really impressive.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

R1Lello

Established Member
apples to apples would be nice......money aside of course. Yes, it's fast stock, no tire changes to slippery when wet DR's. Start it and go, not 'wait until I change my tires' or 'wait, a few drops of rain are out, we better not go ' OR some loud-a$$ cobra without a top, probably overheats, and gets 2.5 mpg..........plus the 458 handles and brakes better too than most cars.

Last edited:

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
i am pretty sure if i lined up next to 1 and it revved at me, my erection would get caught in the steering wheel and i wouldn't be going anywhere

oldlugs

Established Member
Yeah; pretty much what I thought. Guess I can't compare a Mustang to a car that weighing around 700 pounds less, is slippery as a squid...and that makes about the same HP. The 458s apparently even come with more tire under 'em than my KR does.
Very nice car, that 458. Now I want one. Too bad, they go for more than my house is presently worth.
If I start saving today, I can probably get one when I'm a hundred and two. :rollseyes

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Yeah the 458 is no joke. Anything less than a ZR1 and you will be dismissed in short order.
0-60 mph: 3.2 seconds
0-100 mph: 6.8 seconds
0-120 mph: 9.4 seconds
0-160 mph: 17.8 seconds
1/4 Mile: 11.2 seconds at 128.8 mph

YUP! And it dyno's 450-460rwhp/316-320rwtq

Stock 458 VS C6Z (tune & CAI)
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCIznaXzkkk"]‪Ferrari 458 Italia Vs. 2009 Corvette Z06..‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Fastfords

Established Member
Wow, that Z06 did really well. Especially when you consider the old fashioned manual shift vs paddle shifter advantage....

F8l Vnm

Established Member
I played with one on the hwy a couple of times. Unfortunatley the guy just would not allow it to be a fair roll race . By that I mean is that he would speed up and down , pass me like a ricer ..All I was trying to do is get him to slow down to about 65 , so we can roll. Anyway Both times I started behind him by a car and by about 150 mph I was pretty much neck and neck. A veeeeeerrrey slow pull for me and I was shifting balls out! They run hard , with great power and a gear shifting like butter tranny. ! Ohh yeah, what a ****in sex machine this car is man. Love my Z06 but damn , it was red =)

Last edited:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
I played with one on the hwy a couple of times. Unfortunatley the guy just would not allow it to be a fair roll race . By that I mean is that he would speed up and down , pass me like a ricer ..All I was trying to do is get him to slow down to about 65 , so we can roll. Anyway Both times I started behind him by a car and by about 150 mph I was pretty much neck and neck. A veeeeeerrrey slow pull for me and I was shifting balls out! They run hard , with great power and a gear shifting like butter tranny. ! Ohh yeah, what a ****in sex machine this car is man. Love my Z06 but damn , it was red =)

I'm the same way when I see a F430. I know that 458s are much faster, but that 430 still makes my knees weak.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
btw iam sure the guy wasent at the next chevy dealership trying to by a Z06. lol..i know to some here cost of car is everything

Users who are viewing this thread