Anyone recently start riding motorcycles?

boatcop1

Established Member
I am really getting the itch to buy a bike. I have never owned a bike and my riding experience is limited to a few dirtbike rides as a youth on my buddies 120's.

Absolutely no sport bikes. I am thinking Harley 1200 Sportster is a good beginners bike. Any input out there?

This is probably something I will pull the trigger on this winter. That way I can get my license and classes done before spring!

Please share ideas, experiences etc. I am master newbness with the cycle scene!

But you gotta start sometime right?:beer:

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
Sportsters are a good starter bike for someone with dirt experience. The only thing I didn't like about my Dad's Sporty compared to my CBR600 was the brakes. I always like having a bike that has more brakes than you really "need" on the streets in case you have to stop quick.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I am really getting the itch to buy a bike. I have never owned a bike and my riding experience is limited to a few dirtbike rides as a youth on my buddies 120's.

Absolutely no sport bikes. I am thinking Harley 1200 Sportster is a good beginners bike. Any input out there?

This is probably something I will pull the trigger on this winter. That way I can get my license and classes done before spring!

Please share ideas, experiences etc. I am master newbness with the cycle scene!

But you gotta start sometime right?:beer:

Im in the same boat. I had a RM80 years ago and want a sport bike now. I know I should get something small to begin with but I want a 750 or something.

ff500

Established Member
The only bike I ever rode before getting my motorcycle license was a moped, after getting my license I bought a hd dynalowrider, it was a good first bike with midcontrols, I sold that and bought a hd duece with forward controls and I lowered it a bit for comfort.

I would skip the sportser and get something a little bigger but practice in empty parking lots on the weekends until you feel comfortable on the roads.

boatcop1

Established Member
Sportsters are a good starter bike for someone with dirt experience. The only thing I didn't like about my Dad's Sporty compared to my CBR600 was the brakes. I always like having a bike that has more brakes than you really "need" on the streets in case you have to stop quick.

Very good point indeed. Let me clarify, I love sport bikes especially Gixer's, Ducati 998's and Aprilla RSV's and the like. One, the wife wont have it and two, my wallet cannot afford my taste!

boatcop1

Established Member
The only bike I ever rode before getting my motorcycle license was a moped, after getting my license I bought a hd dynalowrider, it was a good first bike with midcontrols, I sold that and bought a hd duece with forward controls and I lowered it a bit for comfort.

I would skip the sportser and get something a little bigger but practice in empty parking lots on the weekends until you feel comfortable on the roads.

Lol my wife and I were just saying he same thing. M neighbor bought a sportster last yer ( first bike) and he's already board with it! I am a fast learner and have a tendency to get bored with things pretty quick so I am feeling your philosophy bro!

Raindog

Established Member
Never been too enthusiastic about cruisers until recently eyeballing a few custom Vrod's, I'd like to ride one of those. My first street bike was a '98 Buell S1WL, it was a disaster, left me stranded several times. I traded it for a shiny new R1 in '01 and never looked back.

My mom had a Yamaha Vstar 650 that was rather amusing, you could pin it in the curves and throw sparks with the floorboards. She traded it for a roadstar, that one never really felt too connected and I only rode it a couple times.

If I was starting over now I would go for something like a used SV650, those bikes are incredibly fun, very forgiving and hold their resale well. Plus if (when) you drop it there's very little to mess up. Later when (if) you want to upgrade you'll get your money back and if you're in it well you might even make a few bucks.

If you're dead set on a Harley, I can't really speak ill of the newer models. Several members of my family ride them and have had very few problems.

Whatever you decide on, always assume that everyone on the road is going to try to run over you and stay alert. A healthy bit of paranoia is a good thing these days when many people are more focused on updating their status on facebook or texting their BFF's while driving than actually watching where they are going.

boatcop1

Established Member
Never been too enthusiastic about cruisers until recently eyeballing a few custom Vrod's, I'd like to ride one of those. My first street bike was a '98 Buell S1WL, it was a disaster, left me stranded several times. I traded it for a shiny new R1 in '01 and never looked back.

My mom had a Yamaha Vstar 650 that was rather amusing, you could pin it in the curves and throw sparks with the floorboards. She traded it for a roadstar, that one never really felt too connected and I only rode it a couple times.

If I was starting over now I would go for something like a used SV650, those bikes are incredibly fun, very forgiving and hold their resale well. Plus if (when) you drop it there's very little to mess up. Later when (if) you want to upgrade you'll get your money back and if you're in it well you might even make a few bucks.

If you're dead set on a Harley, I can't really speak ill of the newer models. Several members of my family ride them and have had very few problems.

Whatever you decide on, always assume that everyone on the road is going to try to run over you and stay alert. A healthy bit of paranoia is a good thing these days when many people are more focused on updating their status on facebook or texting their BFF's while driving than actually watching where they are going.

Thank you for the feedback Raindog. You aint shitting about today's drivers! Pathetic! I hate to say I but if I was a cop I would be pulling folks over all day! It's just too easy!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I've been looking at getting a touring bike this fall. The only experience that I have is riding my sport ATV (and bicycles).. I've heard to get a smaller bike and work my way up but...

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
I'd look into taking a safety course such as the MSF. I took it in June and all you need is a permit and after completing the course you can go get your license. It's good to learn all about how to be safe on a motorcycle and always wear all your gear. The only bike I have is a Suzuki DRZ-400sm, different from what you are looking at getting but I enjoy it. The SV650 is a great choice too and that might be my next bike.

boatcop1

Established Member
I've been looking at getting a touring bike this fall. The only experience that I have is riding my sport ATV (and bicycles).. I've heard to get a smaller bike and work my way up but...

Realistically that makes the most sense for many reasons. Me however, I get bored with stuff too quick. I would rather have something that I have to reserve a little more respect for. Something that allows me to grow with it.

boatcop1

Established Member
I'd look into taking a safety course such as the MSF. I took it in June and all you need is a permit and after completing the course you can go get your license. It's good to learn all about how to be safe on a motorcycle and always wear all your gear. The only bike I have is a Suzuki DRZ-400sm, different from what you are looking at getting but I enjoy it. The SV650 is a great choice too and that might be my next bike.

Absolutely bro, take the classes and recognize that we are not too cool fo safety! After all, at the end of th day I have two daughters that are depending on me to be there for them!

Last edited:

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
My only recommendation is taking the MSF course; it'll help you re-learn the basics, get used to the bike again, plus you get the insurance discount and no testing at the DMV.

I'd also recommend riding a smaller CC bike for a couple months to a year... the re-sale is always good and it helps ensure the typical beginner/re-learning rider mistakes aren't tragic.

Just my $0.02. (Coming from MSF to Ninja 250 to ZX-6R, etc.)

boatcop1

Established Member
My only recommendation is taking the MSF course; it'll help you re-learn the basics, get used to the bike again, plus you get the insurance discount and no testing at the DMV.

I'd also recommend riding a smaller CC bike for a couple months to a year... the re-sale is always good and it helps ensure the typical beginner/re-learning rider mistakes aren't tragic.

Just my $0.02. (Coming from MSF to Ninja 250 to ZX-6R, etc.)

Sound advice brother! :beer:

Stinger2011

Established Member
I've been thinking about getting one for awhile but haven't gotten around to it. I may pick up a cheap dirt bike to start out on next year.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I had similar experience as you op before I bought a bike and I purchased my current 848 as my first. I've had it since Nov. 2010 and have had no problems riding it whatsoever. My philosophy is that power is not an issue with your experience as any bike can kill you and the control of that power is completely on you. The things you need to pay attention to is the weight of the bike and the brakes as that determines how easily you'll be able to maneuver the bike and of course stopping power which is obvious why. This is the criteria at which I chose my bike and it was an excellent choice as my first.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Follow the advice given on taking the MSF and then a beginner friendly bike. Your dream bike should not be the one you learn on, it will just be more expensive.

I've been riding for about 5 years now, did MSF after I earned my M endorsement and after a couple track days. I still learned a ton of stuff.

I'm looking to pick up a BMW HP4 when they hit the market, can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread