Anyone run a metco hub and pulley on a 2.3L TVS?

builttodrive

Established Member
I have an odd question. I just recently did a rebuild on my 07 gt500 and when I bought the car from the previous owner it was already running the TVS with a metco 2.6 pulley. There weren't any issues that I new of but with my new build I went with a 10% OD balancer for more boost and had to go with a new belt for the increased diameter. My new belt wants to jump on the supercharger pulley when its cold. I didn't know this but I was told the metco pulley wasn't offset enough for the different shaft length from the stock eaton to the TVS blower. Anyone have a similar issue? Once things warm up it quits jumping and I'm guessing the old belt must have been more worn and tolerated the miss alignment better than the stiff new belt.

JimIII@jdm

It is a different offset between the Eaton and TVS Pulleys. Which model TVS blower is it first off? The FRPP 2.3L 1st gen, 5.8L Trinity TVS, or VMP TVS Gen 1 or Gen 2? Secondly the belt wasn't jumping off with the stock balancer, are you sure the 10% OD balancer was installed properly? Did you increase the belt length and if so by how much? Are you running any aftermarket idlers?

JimIII

Last edited:

builttodrive

Established Member
It is a different offset between the Eaton and TVS Pulleys. Which model TVS blower is it first off? The FRPP 2.3L 1st gen, 5.8L Trinity TVS, or VMP TVS Gen 1 or Gen 2? Secondly the belt wasn't jumping off with the stock balancer, are you sure the 10% OD balancer was installed properly? Did you increase the belt length and if so by how much? Are you running any aftermarket idlers?

JimIII

Hey Jim, I am running the FRPP 2.3L tvs. I have the metco 90mm idler. The balancer is installed correctly. I am now running the 83.5 gates blue belt. The belt is jumping up on the blower and looks like it wants to come about one rib to the rear of the the pulley. It hasn't come off or anything and quits once the belt is warm.

JimIII@jdm

I'm pretty sure the TVS pulleys sit back further than an Eaton pulley does. That would cause your belt to want to ride back. You may be able to take the metco pulley or hub to a machine shop to have them take some material off so it sits flush. Otherwise buy a TVS specific pulley. Also when we run a 2.60 upper and 10% lower we remove the aux idler and run the stock length belt.

JimIII

08KR525

Established Member
I ran into the same problem when I swapped pulleys from an Eaton to my TVS. It wouldn't push on far enough before it would contact the blower snout. I just machined enough off the back side of the pulley to allow it to sit properly.

Users who are viewing this thread