Anyone running 160 deg T-Stat?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Im just curious if running a 160 deg T stat has caused any issues with anyone. Im a bit worried the ECT's wont get to proper operating temp. Any feedback appreciated.

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
I asked the samething a little while ago and for the most part people were saying that if your car isn't overheating, then just leave it alone. I also have one but haven't installed it.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
whats up larry :)

mixed info on this one. maoun is not running any Stats at all and he swears he isnt having any issues and he didnt get a tune for it to be adjusted.

i remember Bingo13 & Toofast4u mentioned about getting it adjusted to avoid what u just mentioned.

subscribing.

Last edited:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
I've been running a 160 for about 5 months, no problems at all, everything seems normal but thats all i can say about it.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by CastIronMan
I've been running a 160 for about 5 months, no problems at all, everything seems normal but thats all i can say about it.
Thats the problem if your running a t-stat thats too cold and arent properly monitoring ECT, then you run the risk of the engine coolant not properly heating up, when this happens the EEC generally causes car to run rich, in turn the engine is submitted to a lot more fuel and runs the risk of the added fuel flushing the cylinder walls. It may not manifest itself into a problem right away but can cause severe early wear.

Originally posted by Justicem
I asked the samething a little while ago and for the most part people were saying that if your car isn't overheating, then just leave it alone. I also have one but haven't installed it.
Well, that is fine and dandy to say, I never overheated but I do have melted pistons so for those who think to follow that line of thought better be ready to cough up some cash in they are anywhere near the power level I was at because it will just be a matter of time.

On a side note, I am not looking to deal with overheating issus at present, I am looking to simply keep the beast comfortable and happy. That being said, im also not dealing with your run of the mill overspun eaton. I have a VT billit stroker on the way and will be running 9.2:1 compression, crower stage 2 cams and seeing about 18psi out of the KB and I dont want to melt any pistons, VT billit strokers arent cheap :)

Hey Poisonous Mods, how are things going? Unfortunatly it sounds as if toofast may have some damage as well so perhaps even the coler t-stat wasnt enough. I do plan on a fluidyne radiator and possibly an oil cooler to boot, already have the canton racing pan and windage tray I just want to make sure this things is reliable and stays together.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Hey Poisonous Mods, how are things going? Unfortunatly it sounds as if toofast may have some damage as well so perhaps even the coler t-stat wasnt enough. I do plan on a fluidyne radiator and possibly an oil cooler to boot, already have the canton racing pan and windage tray I just want to make sure this things is reliable and stays together.

its been good..even with out the 03Cobra. Mach's pretty fun to just drag race with :burnout:

thank god i didnt jump in and change the stat from what u mentioned on the post. wonder if any one has noticed a difference in the water temps by using a fluidyne radiator? cooler motor is a happier motor ;)...sucks about brian...havent heard about his problems :(

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I have been told that stock computer program allows normal operation once ECT reaches 160 degrees. I think it will stay in normal operation even if temp then drops below 160, so 160 degree stat should allow normal operation. Even if stat opens at 160, ECT will go above that for awhile.

missile man

Established Member
I Had one for about a year and can tell the difference once it heats up. The t stat gauge only goes to about 1/4. Car runs great. No pushing any major HP but have had the car for over 2 years and no problems yet.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
well isnt it in really rare cases that the water temps will stay below 160F? Even with out side temps in winter i would see water temps at above 185F at the strip.

so larry ur going to dive into this or possible?

missile man

Established Member
I have had the 160 for over a year now with no problems at all. This is lower Alabama though and it gets pretty hot down here.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
If you read studies on engine wear you will find a bell curve on engine wear that is very high at 150 then still high at 160 and then even somewhat at 170 and drops off at 180. That’s why they shoot for the 180 temps for longevity.

Matter of fact even Screw air compressors I deal with at work show the reason for 180 degree temps easy. I run syn oil but you have to have 180 because the moisture picked up in the air that gets caught in oil WILL NOT boil off decent and causes the corrosion. Hard to believe it can rust but I have seen it.

The other thing is the reason for 180 is you want to have even temps in a engine you don’t want hot spots thus you can have uneven expansion of metal by having to cool of water and not keeping other areas of the engine the same at high temps.

If you want I will check my machinists hand book tomorrow and tell u expansion diff. Personally with tick problems I would stay with the 180 keep all engine areas expansion the same since there seems to be questions about hot spots in cyl 7. A person wants things to be even.

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread