Anyone running upper/lower pulley with stock clutch?

Paul's_03SVT

Established Member
I am thinking of adding a lower pulley but I am afraid the stock clutch may not like it. Those of you that are running upper and lower pulleys how is the stock clutch doing and how many miles have you been driving?

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Silence...

It's not going to last long.
You can always try it for a while.

DFX Clutch, 26 spline input shaft and you will be good to go.

JP

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
I had lots of time with that setup also 10,00miles or so.
But as soon as you breach the point your at it's gonna give.
TQ is the killer and you will add lots of it if you add a lower pulley and new tune.

Call Lethal performance the will set you up. ;-)

JP

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
I have an upper/ lower combo with 55,000 miles on a stock clutch. I did, however, have to add a firewall adjuster, and a quadrant at 22,000 miles in order to adjust it out a little. I know I am on borrowed time though!!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Have 23,000 miles total with 10,000 of them on a 2.90/4 lb combo and stock clutch. Holding up fine thus far but we'll see what this summer w/ the Stage IV does......

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
I did for a year with an upper/lower prob around 5k miles + the time before that with an upper only. I would say the total miles were around 8k, it didn't last long but I never expected it to. DFX 26 spline is going in before spring and hopefully will last a long long time.

Paul's_03SVT

Established Member
thanks guys! Looks like I might try it and do the clutch next year. Oh was that driving normal, drag/street racing, or highway racing.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Paul's_03SVT said:
thanks guys! Looks like I might try it and do the clutch next year. Oh was that driving normal, drag/street racing, or highway racing.

A little bit of everything.
Sticky tires and a good track will put the stocker to rest.
Just watch your MPH fall as the season goes on.

JP

Paul's_03SVT

Established Member
JP said:
A little bit of everything.
Sticky tires and a good track will put the stocker to rest.
Just watch your MPH fall as the season goes on.

JP
Yeah, now I am debating going with the clutch first. So keep the car the way it is for now and when the stocker goes out get a good clutch, break that in then do the final few mods. :coolman:

adamb258

Established Member
I was waiting for this post to pop up paul! I say do whatever you are comfortable doing! I htink the best thing woudl b for you to sell( i mean give) me your blower, so you are no longer tempted by extra boost :-D.

Paul here is what I would really do. Save up the money for the clutch (at least most of it), then add the lower and retune. When the cluthc goes south(20 miles later or 20,000 miles later) you will be ready to replace it.

Either way you better come give me a ride when its done!

Machinator

Banned
I did the 26spline input as well as the centerforce dfx when I put on the stg 4 steig and lower pulley and dont regret it cause the stock clutch wont take that kind of power for long.

mrose75

Established Member
So with the 2.93 upper and a 4 lb. lower you guys are blowing the clutch? That's the combo I was gonna go with. Time to start recalculating the plan then, I guess.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Over 25,000 miles on stock clutch. Well over 15,000 of it ported/upper/lower combo. Daily driver here. I can understand trying to prep the car for the mods but give it a try. You may not have to spend all the coin just yet!

Last edited:

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
It's always best to beef-up stuff like the suspension and drivetrain before adding more power. Yeah you might get away with it for a while but how long is the question. Driving style, racing and dumping the clutch all play a huge role. We could guess but you know your car better than us. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
They are most likely blowing the clutch from coming out with stickies at the track at a high rpm or riding the piss of out it to get the best 60 foot time. If you stick with 1.90 to 2.0 short times(come out moderately riding clutch) and dont powershift if you have nitrous....and dont go crazy with the dyno tunes. You should be fine ...especially if you are mainly going to be racing here and there on the street. Thats my take on this anyway.

Paul's_03SVT

Established Member
HotRodHarry said:
They are most likely blowing the clutch from coming out with stickies at the track at a high rpm or riding the piss of out it to get the best 60 foot time. If you stick with 1.90 to 2.0 short times(come out moderately riding clutch) and dont powershift if you have nitrous....and dont go crazy with the dyno tunes. You should be fine ...especially if you are mainly going to be racing here and there on the street. Thats my take on this anyway.
Thats what I was thinking. Most of the guys on here drag their cars at the track so they are more prone to breaking things. I dont even think I need a 26 spline shaft? Prices goes from $400+ (10 spline) to $1000. :poke:

I am more tempted to try it now. Harry it look slike the LT's added a lot. You are making similar power to the guys with 2.8/4 with only 2.8/2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread