Anyone using Google Fi phone service?

Coiled03

Established Member
Don't know anybody who's not happy with it, aside from having to use a Pixel.

7upstang

Established Member
Had the service, it was horrible. Never again.

Constantly dropping calls in my area, I didn't save much since we have a company Verizon plan. I was trying the service out to see if we could get an all around cheaper plan. After many dropped calls, voicemails where the phone never rang. I was fed up. Not worth saving $20 a month.

jrandy

Established Member
Had the service, it was horrible. Never again.

Constantly dropping calls in my area, I didn't save much since we have a company Verizon plan. I was trying the service out to see if we could get an all around cheaper plan. After many dropped calls, voicemails where the phone never rang. I was fed up. Not worth saving $20 a month.

Google Fi is an MVNO, meaning they don't use their own network. They use Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Three. So long as you have decent coverage for Sprint, T-Mobile or US Cellular, service should be just as good.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
My wife had it on her Pixel.

It was... Ok... I think it more depends on where you live.

It saved our asses in England though as I had Verizon, so we used the shit out of her navigation out there and it was flawless.

Dusten

Established Member
I'm doing everything in my power to get as far away from google as possible

...and Maximus said to Commodus, "the time for honoring yourself will soon come to an end."

I heard somewhere that you can finally run Apple on it?
Yes

Must've changed it or something. Wouldn't let me do it with my Galaxy S8 last time I looked.
They list all the compatible phones. Its a big number.

My issue is I have a super old verizon plan thats cheap, but I keep pushing my data limits. Verizon wont honor my wife's company discount on their unlimited plans. To go from ten gb to unlimited would add almost $100 to my current plan

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd give it a shot if they used Verizon networks, but till then its a no go for me unfortunately.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Google Fi is an MVNO, meaning they don't use their own network. They use Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Three. So long as you have decent coverage for Sprint, T-Mobile or US Cellular, service should be just as good.

This. Really depends on how good these three networks are in your area when you aren't on wifi. I'm on wifi a lot but I can't count on these three carriers in my area, or in the mountains, when I need them. My brother has Fi service in Manhattan and he loves it. I also use a lot of cellular data (nearly 20GB per month) and Fi is just not cost competitive with my ATT plan for that much data.

Verizon is better than ATT in Denver and in the rural areas I travel to ut I really hate VZ so I stick with ATT.

Dusten

Established Member
I'd give it a shot if they used Verizon networks, but till then its a no go for me unfortunately.
Hmmm that may be an issue

This. Really depends on how good these three networks are in your area when you aren't on wifi. I'm on wifi a lot but I can't count on these three carriers in my area, or in the mountains, when I need them. My brother has Fi service in Manhattan and he loves it. I also use a lot of cellular data (nearly 20GB per month) and Fi is just not cost competitive with my ATT plan for that much data.

Verizon is better than ATT in Denver and in the rural areas I travel to ut I really hate VZ so I stick with ATT.
They stop charging you at 6gb. How much do you pay for data?

Pribilof

Established Member
Hmmm that may be an issue

They stop charging you at 6gb. How much do you pay for data?

I pay $105 per month, including taxes and fees, for 20GB on 2 lines, including mobile hotspot ability on both phones. I use 18-21GB per month.

Dusten

Established Member
I pay $105 per month, including taxes and fees, for 20GB on 2 lines, including mobile hotspot ability on both phones. I use 18-21GB per month.
Thats insane. Through who?

Google was 135 for the same thing.

Pribilof

Established Member
Thats insane. Through who?

Google was 135 for the same thing.

Att. A couple of years ago they had some deal to call in and they would double your data limit. I had a 10GB plan and doubled it for free. It was in like 2014 or something.

Dusten

Established Member
Att. A couple of years ago they had some deal to call in and they would double your data limit. I had a 10GB plan and doubled it for free. It was in like 2014 or something.
Ah. Makes sense. No one has a good plan like that anymore

Users who are viewing this thread