Anyone using the T-56 Magnum??

SprSonicCobra03

Established Member
My T-56 Mag. just came in today. Even without the shifter and it just sitting in the box, i can already tell its gonna be an awesome shiftin' tranny. it should be in the car by monday im hoping. (if i can get to it).

FYI the T-56 Magnum is a direct fit for the 03-04 Terminators. It should just bolt right up using the stock crossmembers.

I'll give you the official thumbs up or down when i get her in....:beer:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Can you also tell me if you can use your shifter from your old T56 with this new one.. I want to buy a MGW but I can't yet because I'm not sure if the T56 one will work with this tranny. there was a thread floating around that MGW is making a shifter specific for this tranny.

SprSonicCobra03

Established Member
I just got my car back today. The tranny should come with a shifter, all you need to do is put the shifter handle and knob on. (2 bolts) IT SHIFTS SOOO EFFIN' SMOOTHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, i will be taking it back out today and having to beat the floorpans around a little to get the tranny to fit in the car a little better. a few spots on the tranny are rubbing on the bottom of the floor board under the shifter console, and its causing vibration in the car. Not cool.....

So with a little Afro-engineering i should be able to get it to fit in there without the rubbage....

Say a prayer for me....lol

Other than that I am pleased with the new tranny and clutch! :rockon:

-Brandon

ModularFan

Established Member
I just got my car back today. The tranny should come with a shifter, all you need to do is put the shifter handle and knob on. (2 bolts) IT SHIFTS SOOO EFFIN' SMOOTHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, i will be taking it back out today and having to beat the floorpans around a little to get the tranny to fit in the car a little better. a few spots on the tranny are rubbing on the bottom of the floor board under the shifter console, and its causing vibration in the car. Not cool.....

So with a little Afro-engineering i should be able to get it to fit in there without the rubbage....

Say a prayer for me....lol

Other than that I am pleased with the new tranny and clutch! :rockon:

-Brandon

Did you have to shorten the driveshaft?

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
FYI, the T-56 magnum trans will fit with 03-04 bellhousing or McCleod 03-04 bellhousing, 03-04 crossmember, 31 spline slip yoke with 1350 U joint's on the stock 03-04 drive shaft no shortening. BTW, motor is on solid motor mounts. The stockT-56 shifter will not fit, base plate is totally different.

trans001.jpg

ModularFan

Established Member
FYI, the T-56 magnum trans will fit with 03-04 bellhousing or McCleod 03-04 bellhousing, 03-04 crossmember, 31 spline slip yoke with 1350 U joint's on the stock 03-04 drive shaft no shortening. BTW, motor is on solid motor mounts. The stockT-56 shifter will not fit, base plate is totally different.

trans001.jpg

thanks awesome to know, once I get my cobra, this will be one of the first mods, so all that driveshaft shortening talk etc, is for sn95 cobras?

SprSonicCobra03

Established Member
FYI, the T-56 magnum trans will fit with 03-04 bellhousing or McCleod 03-04 bellhousing, 03-04 crossmember, 31 spline slip yoke with 1350 U joint's on the stock 03-04 drive shaft no shortening. :bs: BTW, motor is on solid motor mounts. The stockT-56 shifter will not fit, base plate is totally different.

trans001.jpg

Well maybe my car is shorter than yours cause i definetly had to shorten the driveshaft by about an 1 1/2 inches. Although the top bolts on the shifter mostly the corner ones were rubbing on the bottom of the console. but after a little "arm & hammer" action, clearance was not an issue.

The T-56 Magnum shifter is super smoothe, and i really dont see the use for a short throw. Hell you can throw it into gear with 2 fingers, but thats my personal opinion.

Overall, its money well spent and one hell of a transmission! I would strongly recommend it. :burnout:

ModularFan

Established Member
Well maybe my car is shorter than yours cause i definetly had to shorten the driveshaft by about an 1 1/2 inches. Although the top bolts on the shifter mostly the corner ones were rubbing on the bottom of the console. but after a little "arm & hammer" action, clearance was not an issue.

The T-56 Magnum shifter is super smoothe, and i really dont see the use for a short throw. Hell you can throw it into gear with 2 fingers, but thats my personal opinion.

Overall, its money well spent and one hell of a transmission! I would strongly recommend it. :burnout:

this is good to hear, this is definitely something I am gonna look into. I heard they may be possibly coming out with another version.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member

Awesome good to know :thumbsup: Mine is going in on the 12th along with a fidenza flywheel and spec stg 3 clutch!! I'm really excited to hear how that this tranny is a good one. and with 700ftlb rating it's more than I need.. not a bad price either if u consider the viper spec rated at only 50 more ftlbs is like another 1k..

SprSonicCobra03

Established Member
Yea, you'll definetly like it! I put in a Spec Stage 2 Clutch with mine. I love the whole combination between the clutch and tranny. Definetly best bang for the buck!! Next for me is upper and lower pulley swaps....im shooting for 525 rwhp. I'd say that be plenty for a daily driver...;-)

ModularFan

Established Member
Yea, you'll definetly like it! I put in a Spec Stage 2 Clutch with mine. I love the whole combination between the clutch and tranny. Definetly best bang for the buck!! Next for me is upper and lower pulley swaps....im shooting for 525 rwhp. I'd say that be plenty for a daily driver...;-)

so you definitely needed to shorten the driveshaft correct?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member

Awesome!! I'm assuming u still have 3.55's.. what ratio's did u go with?? I went with the 2.97 first with the .50 overdrive 6th.. how's cruising on the freeway?? what rpm are u at at 80mph?? I'm looking at stepping up to 4.10s...

SprSonicCobra03

Established Member
Awesome!! I'm assuming u still have 3.55's.. what ratio's did u go with?? I went with the 2.97 first with the .50 overdrive 6th.. how's cruising on the freeway?? what rpm are u at at 80mph?? I'm looking at stepping up to 4.10s...

Yea, i still have the stock 3.55's in the car. I went with the stock ratios (2.66 first) and (.62 6th). Dont quote me exactly cause i really wasnt paying much attention today, but im pretty sure at 80mph i was doing around the 2100rpm range. give or take a little. The spec stage 2 is plenty of clutch especially for city driving. I dont see how anyone can drive one daily with a Stage 3. Cause there is very little if any slippage with the Stage 2. But, the bitch will damn get up and go now. Definetly a lot more torquey feeling...:burnout:

And yes "Torquey" is a word...lol!

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
The car that theT-56 magnum is in did not need the drive shaft to be shortened, remeber this cobra has solid motor mounts. I cannot confirm yet that one with stock motor mounts will fit.

Also, I have contacted Pro-5.0 to make a short throw shifter for the trans for those how are interested, IMHO the magum's shifter is fairly good as is.

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
The car that theT-56 magnum is in did not need the drive shaft to be shortened, remeber this cobra has solid motor mounts. I cannot confirm yet that one with stock motor mounts will fit.

Also, I have contacted Pro-5.0 to make a short throw shifter for the trans for those how are interested, IMHO the magum's shifter is fairly good as is.

well apparently, it doesn't and it does. so which is it. because now I am confused.

Users who are viewing this thread