Anyone with a 94-95 Cobra done the high-speed fan mod?

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
SSOTN - Misc.- Fanswitch

Looking to do this on my car. It can get really hot during the summer idling at traffic lights with the Kenne Bell. The fan would never be running at high speed for a long duration so I'm not worried about it drawing too much power or even decreasing the lifespan of the fan.

If you've done this with a 94-95 Cobra, which wire did you tap in to? Were you able to tap it directly from the passenger side kick panel as mentioned above? If not, what was your solution?

Thanks!

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
just turn the a/c to max. fan on high at all times. no need to hack up the wiring. fan is pretty useless above 35-40mph anyways.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
This would purely be for the purpose of cooling it down at a traffic light. The previous owner of my Kenne Bell did the same thing with good results. I wouldn't be hacking any wiring either. Just tapping in to it so I can run wire to a switch that grounds the wire when I flip it. Running the AC at max will consequently increase the temps.

laddanator

Established Member
I'm worried about temps on my 96 after my KB install as well. It's like 70 here today and my car got up to 200 degrees. Not sure what everyone else with a 96 and up is running in the temp area.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
This would purely be for the purpose of cooling it down at a traffic light. The previous owner of my Kenne Bell did the same thing with good results. I wouldn't be hacking any wiring either. Just tapping in to it so I can run wire to a switch that grounds the wire when I flip it. Running the AC at max will consequently increase the temps.

I'm worried about temps on my 96 after my KB install as well. It's like 70 here today and my car got up to 200 degrees. Not sure what everyone else with a 96 and up is running in the temp area.

What temp thermostats are you guys running and what temps are the fans set to turn on in your tunes??

Laddanator, you might benefit from the Reische 170 T-stat and have the fan on/off temps adjusted accordingly.

busta, a 180 T-stat for you and fans adjusted.

laddanator

Established Member
What temp thermostats are you guys running and what temps are the fans set to turn on in your tunes??

Laddanator, you might benefit from the Reische 170 T-stat and have the fan on/off temps adjusted accordingly.

busta, a 180 T-stat for you and fans adjusted.

I have a Hypertech 180 and I think my low kick on was set at 185 and the high 195 or maybe. I can't remember the exact. I installed a new Mishimoto radiator when I installed the new thermostat, when I did the KB install. I was wondering if a better water pump would help? Car doesn't over heat. It sits around 200 but its not 90 plus here yet and I'm not using air.

Not trying to hijack your thread, busta. I'm curios about the fan mod as well.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
If I recall correctly the instructions for the 94-95 KB recommended a 160* thermostat so that's what I used for my installation.

Last edited:

Mach828

Established Member
I ran the separate ground for my high speed fan. It really helps when I'm sitting in stop and go traffic in the hotter outdoor temps.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Running the AC at max will consequently increase the temps.

...no.

All max a/c does is recirculate cabin air instead of pulling air from the cowl and force the fan on high at all times.

The a/c compressor doesnt work any harder nor does the condenser reject any extra heat. Besides, the heat rejected from the condensor will be cooler than the heat from the radiator anyways, it wont add any heat to the cooling system. technically speaking, it would actually pull a slight amount of heat away from the radiator because itll be incrementally cooler, though its irrelevant because the fan pulls air through both. perhaps it could be slightly cooler with the a/c off but as the ar is running longer without the a/c on, the radiator [in traffic] will just radiate heat to the condenser an surrounding areas until the fan kicks on.

since i dont have a FSM, i cant say for certain but im pretty sure that anytime the a/c compressor is running [a/c, defrost, bi-level], the fan should be on high to keep the high pressure safety switch on the a/c from cutting in.

anyhow, long story short, having the a/c on max doesnt make your cooling system work any harder.

now, if youre drag racing, then an on/off switch is a better idea.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I tend to find my temps creep more and more with the AC running on a hot day. When I turn it off they slowly trickle back down.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
I tried that fan mod with a manually operated switch under the dash near the steering column for ease of access, and with a thermoswitch strapped to the coolant crossover tube. Both worked just fine.

After much experimentation and testing I settled on still another way: installing a second ECT sensor "in parallel", both electrically and thermally, by wiring an identical-to-stock ECT in parallel with the stock ECT, and via a tee connector screwed into the crossover tube with the two ECT sensors immersed in the coolant via the tee connector. The key to this setup is that the two ECTs in parallel present exactly half the electrical resistance to the fan control circuitry so the fan-on and fan off temperatures drop about 20-degrees F.
Again this is on my '97 Cobra. Just how it might work on a '94-'95 I don't know, but the theory of operation is similar. If the '94-95 uses only one ECT sensor for both the fan AND the temperature gauge I don't know how the gauge will react.
I have a couple of how-to-do-it and how-it-operates write-ups that I can e-mail to interested parties. Just drop me a PM with your e-mail address in the message and I'll
e-mail my write-ups for your perusal. The additional Ford ECT sensor, the tee connector, and a Ford electrical connector for the ECT sensor cost me about $62 some 10 years ago.

I also experimented with paralleling a fixed-value resistor with the ECT. It worked just fine except I wanted a different range of temperature operation. If you're not to fussy with the temperature range a pack of (5) resistors [you need only one for the resistor mod]only costs about $2 at Radio Shack and can be wired into the car in about 10 minutes with no plumbing work. As a for instance, an 8K-ohm resistor drops the fan-0n temperature to 205-degrees (16 less than stock) F and the fan-off temperature to 179-degrees (22 less than stock) F. I have a graph of various resistor paralleling mods that demonstrate the fan-on/fan-off temperature ranges that I can e-mail also.

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Again this is on my '97 Cobra. Just how it might work on a '94-'95 I don't know, but the theory of operation is similar. If the '94-95 uses only one ECT sensor for both the fan AND the temperature gauge I don't know how the gauge will react.

94-95s have two sensors for Coolant.

One is the actual sensor (on top of the water tube rail for the heater core) and the other is a sender (for the temp gauge on the cluster).

Users who are viewing this thread