Anyone work in the Higher Education field?

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Wanted to see if anyone work in the higher education (University) field either as an administrator or different parts of the college? And how did you like or not like it?

Reason I'm asking is that I have a chance to work for my local University, I used to work there when I was still in college as a assistant but now it will be working full-time.

Just wanted to hear some opinions and feedbacks from those that worked or is working at a University right now.

Thanks

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I worked for a military junior college for 6 months as a recruiter. Not sure how much I can help as I was technically employed by the DoD and it was just another assignment.

I did enjoy my schedule though as I had free reign.

Sage2k

Established Member
I work as a network analyst for a public university....It has its pluses and minuses..

Great benefits, so-so pay, light work load...

If you arent careful you can get sucked into politics and such. If you don't kiss ass you won't get ahead. We've been hit by massive 50+% budget cuts and havent received raises in a long time.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I work as a network analyst for a public university....It has its pluses and minuses..

If you arent careful you can get sucked into politics and such. If you don't kiss ass you won't get ahead. We've been hit by massive 50+% budget cuts and havent received raises in a long time.

I smell corndogs...:D

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Wanted to see if anyone work in the higher education (University) field either as an administrator or different parts of the college? And how did you like or not like it?

Reason I'm asking is that I have a chance to work for my local University, I used to work there when I was still in college as a assistant but now it will be working full-time.

Just wanted to hear some opinions and feedbacks from those that worked or is working at a University right now.

Thanks

My parents are both college professors and they say they haven't worked a day in their lives

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I'm not surprised, I swear some of my professors literally teach on the spot without any preparation.

Really?

My parents do a lot of prep work they just don't see it as a job because they love what they do.

My dad said that watching a student get a concept is the most rewarding feeling while my mom says observing a students grades climb makes her feel good.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Really?

My parents do a lot of prep work they just don't see it as a job because they love what they do.

My dad said that watching a student get a concept is the most rewarding feeling while my mom says observing a students grades climb makes her feel good.

So you meant it in a good way, I thought your parents hated their jobs.. sorry I misunderstood.

theraapster

Established Member

I also work in IT for a pubic university and this pretty much sums everything up nicely. One of the best benefits (for me) is free tuition for 6 hours a semester. I'm working on my first masters currently and will consider a second after I'm finished.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I also work in IT for a pubic university and this pretty much sums everything up nicely. One of the best benefits (for me) is free tuition for 6 hours a semester. I'm working on my first masters currently and will consider a second after I'm finished.

What the heck is a "pubic" university?:rolling:

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I'm an administrator...

Pay is decent, benefits are very good (health and retirement), and the hours are good. time off is a great bonus (accrue sick and vacation seperately and get a lot of it which can be rolled over).

Politics can be a huge headache too.

What would you be doing?

Users who are viewing this thread