Apten Cooling Mod... How many have it??

Do you have the Apten cooling mod??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Just curious how many of you have the Apten cooling mod...

Also want to know if anyone thinks I can get Ford to install it when they have my transmission out for a warranty clutch replacement coming up here soon. Also, would it void my warranty?

Please respond as I want to get this done if it's worthwhile to do and Ford will do it without voiding my warranty.

Thanks in advance for the responses :thumbsup:

Jpjr

Established Member
While I have no idea, I would expect that Ford would not do it.. and even if they would the Ford mechanics would have no idea why they were doing it or what they were doing. I think this is a good mod, but there has been debate here on the price as it looks like you could do it yourself if you wanted.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
I had mine installed at the dealership, And think it's good piece of mind.
I also trust my mechanic. It's still a pain to install with the trans out so who knows what they would charge you.

Jason :beer:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
JP03SVTSNK10TH said:
I had mine installed at the dealership, And think it's good piece of mind.
I also trust my mechanic. It's still a pain to install with the trans out so who knows what they would charge you.

Jason :beer:

Noticed any difference in heat management/cooling?? Would you do it again?? Do you feel you got your money's worth?? How much did the dealership charge you for the install??

Thanks man :thumbsup:

Last edited:

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
Sean
WE have this modification available..let me know if you cant get the shop to install it..or if you need one to have installed

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Linn@AmazonRacing said:
Sean
WE have this modification available..let me know if you cant get the shop to install it..or if you need one to have installed

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to try to make them do it or not. I just wanted to see if there are a lot of people who have done it and are pleased with it.

There doesn't seem to be many people who are extremely opinionated on the topic, one way or the other, so I probably won't do it.

Unless someone makes a good case for it, one way or another :-D

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
the only time I see anyone doing this mod is when they have the trans out...it is a good time to do this since you have to have the trans out to do it..that is probably why you dont see much about it..we did this to our 03 and it really is something beneficial if you are going to run higher boost.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:
Noticed any difference in heat management/cooling?? Would you do it again?? Do you feel you got your money's worth?? How much did the dealership charge you for the install??

Thanks man :thumbsup:

I had the cooling mod and heat exchanger and s/c port done, and then pullied. I have never had a hotlap problem at the track or noticable heatsoak and this is my daily driver 99% of the time.

JP

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
DO IT! it is assinine to think the stock cooling syste can suport anything but a stock car. INSUFFICIENT COOLING is the norm.

XR3Z-18B402-DA Cooling mod, cost is approx $25.

Call your local dealer or parts source. This is the fitting that goes in the drvers side head.
6 hose clamps and a plastic 3/4" "t" and about 30" of 3/4" hose. Lots of cutting to fit.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286784061

login postbanguest
password guestpostban

picture #30

Seems like I needed more than the 4 clamps that apten provided, dont recall why, they are like a buck apiece tho.........

The mod is not too hard provided you can pull a trans.

About the only special tool you need beside every metric socket, an air wrench and a lift is 4-6 FEET of extensions. Impact "wobble" type universals area great help too.

1)Get car on lift and allow to cool. Disconnect battery.
2)Remove shift knob, then shifter bezel, then shifter.
3)Remove upper end of EGR tube from valve housing.
4)cut both hoses attached to EGR tube, stick a bolt in the end of each, tape or silicone in place
5)install 22x1.5mm allenhead plug. Open radiator cap if car has cooled enough.
6)Raise car
7)Detach midpipe from catback, Detach EGR tube from manifold, remove midpipe and EGR tube. Install 22x1.5mm allenhead plug in manifold.
8)Detach Driveshaft from differential flange, remove driveshaft.
9)Support trans with trans-jack and use trans plug to keep it from leaking, remove six lower and side bolts from where trans mates with bellhousing.
10)Tilt the engine up at the front (have someone push up, it works), Remove final two trans-to-bellhousing bolts. Slide trans back till it clears, then down.
11)Remove starter (use all those long extensions)
12)Remove bellhousing. Wobble sockets really help here, clearance is NONE. More engine tilting helps.
13)Carefully tap out the drivers side head freeze plug. Prepare to get soaked with antifreeze.
14)Remove heater hose from fitting on firewall (from above is easier). It needs to be cut to fit. Add the "T" fitting to it with the extra hose in the kit. Clearance is tight in this area, you will have to align which way the band clamps go so they clear the flanges and other stuff in the area. Also the hole on the cooling mod fitting might need to be enlarged (mine did, was in the wrong place) to allow it to rotate to an angle that gives it a clear path. Double check everything for clearance and that the hose is not kinked. The flange on the cooling mod goes UNDER the small bracket extension on the back of the head, use that bolt to reinstall both items to the head.
15)Reinstall Bellhousing,Starter, Trans, Driveshaft, Midpipe, Shifter and bezel. Reattach battery.
16)Fill with coolant at the opening on crossover tube till no more will fit in, plug it. Start car for a minute, check coolant level at crossover tube. Fill if necessary. Cross fingers, Check for leaks.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Do it, it's relatively cheap "insurance" against heating problems, and offers a bit of peace of mind.

I had mine installed when I was getting new pistons put in because I melted the teflon off the #7 piston. Who knows, maybe that wouldn't of happened if I had the Apten mod installed.

Robertson Racin

All American Muscle
Established Member
Do it, I believe every car owner that has had problems with the #7 & 8 cylinders melting down, wish they would have has this mod.. Also on almost all the cars that have melted #7 & 8 pistons, the owners all say that they will be having this mod installed..

Is it worth the money in material you get?? Is it worth the money for piece of mind?? How much does it cost to rebuild our motors?? Now is it worth it??

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
predator said:
Sean.....while you have the opportunity.....DO IT!

Well, I guess that answers my question.

Before I pulley my car, (or at the same time) I will be adding the Apten cooling mod. I'm especially convinced of that thanks to that engine failure thread over on modular fords.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

RGrossman

Established Member
Does it work just as good when you buy all the parts yourself? Seems like you save alot of money not getting it from Apten. they don't give you any specially shaped hoses that you wouldn't be able to find, right?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
postban said:
DO IT! it is assinine to think the stock cooling syste can suport anything but a stock car. INSUFFICIENT COOLING is the norm.
While I do have this mod myself and I am sure it helps, please dont anyone think this is the "Do-All and Be-All" of cooling mods. The ONLY reason there is even a line coming off the pass side head is to route coolant through the heater core so we have heat. After the coolant leaves there it goes right back into the block/pump. It never travels directly through the radiator prior to being returned to the engine.

Like many have said, I wouldnt go out of my way to do this unless the tranny or engine were coming out for another reason.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I have the cooling mod but I haven't installed it yet. The only thing I'm changing is the 3/4" tee. I'm replacing the plastic one for a brass tee. That way I won't worry about breakage. Not that it would break, but I'll cover my a$$ just in case.

BLK_03

Established Member
I have the modification on mine. The guy who came up with the idea (Rick Engh) is a SVT mechanic. He did mine at the dealership while the tranny was out (broken retainer sleeve).

Your transmission is out? Dude, it's a no brainer. Have it installed ASAP!!!! The only labor involved (besides removal of the tranny) is a little "massaging" of the EGR tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread