Are Borla IRS tailpipes symmetrical?

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I've been looking at various exhaust for my Cobra and leaning hard towards Borla Stingers. The only problem I'm noticing is that most of the pictures I see of cars with the Stinger IRS catback is that the tailpipes appear to not be symmetrical in the bend around the tank. Is that the case or is it an installation issue? Here's a good example.

3879353899_695f299332_o.jpg
31757476260_c7e6e68bb9_c.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It takes some work, but they can be made even. I was one of those guys that took the extra time to level everything. Unfortunately the driver side pipe that runs under the diff is more D shaped now instead of round. Consequences of being low on the freeway.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Those two examples actually look pretty good, compared to some that I've looked at.
Okay so my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. Is there a clearance issue that causes this with all IRS exhaust or is it just a Borla thing? I'll have to look at other options if it's Borla specific because I'm OCD about stuff like that.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
It takes some work, but they can be made even. I was one of those guys that took the extra time to level everything. Unfortunately the driver side pipe that runs under the diff is more D shaped now instead of round. Consequences of being low on the freeway.
This. You even need to loosen the mid-pipe to get them right.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
We put Borla ATAKs on my brothers terminator and it's definitely a lot of work to make them look perfect, but it can be done

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210924-101049_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210924-101049_Dropbox.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 117

44shelby

Established Member
I've been looking at various exhaust for my Cobra and leaning hard towards Borla Stingers. The only problem I'm noticing is that most of the pictures I see of cars with the Stinger IRS catback is that the tailpipes appear to not be symmetrical in the bend around the tank. Is that the case or is it an installation issue? Here's a good example.

3879353899_695f299332_o.jpg
31757476260_c7e6e68bb9_c.jpg

The first picture (red car) isn't borla stingers its the touring and the from what i was told by borla is the system is different all together as the mufflers are not interchangeable. That is something you need to take into consideration. i cant speak for the bottom car because i don't know anything about it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is an "issue" that has been with us since 2003. The absolute (known) key is patience, time, and a second set of eyes during installation. The Stingers absolutely can be installed to look perfectly aligned let and right. When you do the install, grab a buddy or neighbor and have them eyeball the alignment as you massage the connections with the midpipe loosened. Then tighten everything.

Users who are viewing this thread