Are cdl licenses held to a higher standard?

Silver o1

Let the spooling begin
Established Member
My company required that everbody that drives a company vehicle get a cdl. This includes trucks like f-250's. I was told that a breathalizer test reading of .07 was the legal limit for a regular license then .05 was the limit for a cdl. The same way for moving vilotations, the penalties were higher. Is there any truth to this?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
you dont need a cdl uless the vehicle is over 26000 gross weight and has air brakes, although its good to have one in case you want to drive for a trucking company. Why would they want you to have a cdl for a f 250??????

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
the legal limit is the same for cdl holders .08 in most states(personal vehicle), but while driving a "commercial" vehicle the limit is 0.00..........end of story.
and yes your held to a higher standard.....i know in texas if you where to get a speeding ticket or similar you do not have the option of deferred or defensive driving...its just not a option.

Silver o1

Let the spooling begin
Established Member
I don't drink and drive so I am not worried about that, but I do drive a cobra and was told It didn't matter if you were in your work truck or driving your car as far as the moving vilotations go.

DeadM8

Turbo Terror
Established Member
I used to have a class A CDL here in Illinois, and The only difference as far as I know is the zero tolerance B.A.C. when driving commercial vehicles. No difference in moving violations.

txyaloo

Established Member
As said above, in Florida, if you have a CDL and get a ticket in your personal vehicle, you won't be able to request traffic school.

Common

Established Member
Also, while having a few points is "tolerable" while driving/insuring a small car, you actually might not even be able to get insurance with points for a commercial truck/cdl, anything over 26k.

Insurance rates are ridiculous as it is, for commerical trucks above 26k, last thing they want to have or insure is someone with points on their record. Some truck companies actually have policies that are in place and state that if you get points(not sure how many, but anything over 2iirc) you will be losing your job.

Users who are viewing this thread