Are Ford Performance ignition coils still the best choice?

YELOSNK

Established Member
Thanks all. I'll look to do just the boots and springs, then. When I did the coils on my M5 they were definitely *not* separable, so didnt think that would be an option.

Edit: I feel dumb for having to ask this, but does Motorcraft WR6127 include the spring? Im assuming so, but the pictures of the others brands actually show the spring.

Last edited:

FIREBALL

Established Member
And these cars don’t have coils and wires, they have coils.
LOL, I was having a major brain cramp on that, thanks for the obvious reminder====that was a little embarrassing.

Springs and Boots are a good idea and you all are probably right, but for me at 90k I would change them all if in doubt, kind of like preventive maintenance.

BlackStang00

Established Member
LOL, I was having a major brain cramp on that, thanks for the obvious reminder====that was a little embarrassing.

Springs and Boots are a good idea and you all are probably right, but for me at 90k I would change them all if in doubt, kind of like preventive maintenance.
No biggie, didn’t want to be a dick but wanted to clarify for the op’s sake.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thanks all. I'll look to do just the boots and springs, then. When I did the coils on my M5 they were definitely *not* separable, so didnt think that would be an option.

Edit: I feel dumb for having to ask this, but does Motorcraft WR6127 include the spring? Im assuming so, but the pictures of the others brands actually show the spring.
The description says just the boots are included.

You probably want something like this:

Does anyone remember the GMS boot upgrade? I've only known one person that ran them, but don't remember them being worth anything.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
+1 OEM. Be wary buying OEM off Amazon if they have them. A lot of OEM Ford counterfeit stuff on there lately.

FWIW picked up a "new take off set" from someone on here and had issues. Still running my originals at 20+ PSI and e85 (04 engine) for 100k+ miles no issues. They just work.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I'll havd to search my garage, tuner didn't like this set but, connectors and springs what not are mint. OEM ford. $150 (USPS flat rate probably $10-15) plus shipping coils and all. Just cleaning up and making a little cash and helping out where I can.

YELOSNK

Established Member
The description says just the boots are included.

You probably want something like this:

Does anyone remember the GMS boot upgrade? I've only known one person that ran them, but don't remember them being worth anything.

So Ford expects one to re-use the spring? I could not find any separate part for the spring and none of the diagrams show it. I guess I'll end up with NGK or Denso (I assume neither is better than the other).

I'd buy the Granatelli's if they actually gave 5-7hp for the extra $120, but I'm assuming they're in the same category as the WeaponX coils I remember reading did nothing. Happy to be proven wrong, though!

BlackStang00

Established Member
Not 4v specific but CliffyK tested a number of cop’s years ago. Most are made in the same factory in China and really none are better than oem.

IllCobra

Established Member
So has anyone replaced just the boot? I looked on RockAuto and they have NGK and Denso boots with springs. Yes, they have Motorcraft but no springs included.

Users who are viewing this thread