Are MSD components worth it?

ConeCrusher281

Established Member
I am wanting to buy mad coil packs and spark plug wires, but am not sure of the improvement is noticeable. Anybody had experience with these parts?

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
The guy I bought my Cobra from had just put new plugs, and new MSD wires on it 2 months before I bought it. One day I was on the highway, and decided to do a little high speed run, and when I hit 100, the car fell on it's face. Engine sounded like I lost a cylinder. I let off of it, and after a few seconds it went back to normal. I did a search about this, and there wasn't really anything good people had to say about these wires for 4V's. I bought a new set of FRPP wires, and never had an issue again. BTW, I would say those MSD wires had a total of 8000 miles on them.

So from my experience, I would say they are junk to me. But then again...that's just my .02

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm planning on running an MSD 6A box in my Celica...and my buddy is running MSD components in his Lightning, seems like it idles a lot smoother now. He loves 'em. However, that's on a 351W. Not sure how our mod motors would like 'em...

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Funny seeing this thread today! I finally removed my MSD Dis 4 box today. The car was not sounding right at Idle. Runs like a champ now. My MSD was 12 years old. I have always used msd wires and never had a problem. I always had and still do have the original coil packs with no problem there either.

OP change your wires FRPP or MSD what ever. If you do not have a problem with your stock coil packs save your money. If you feel you must change them go with oem.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I have MSD packs and not sure what to say of them. My mileage has been decreasing drastically lately and I cannot find the problem. I might throw the stock packs back on and see if anything changes.

Oh and I run the MSD wires; never heard anything good of them but they seem okay.

Although I will state that my car backfires each gear I shift hard into, and most of the time you can see a little bit of flames. Seems like its running super rich all of a sudden, or has been since the MSD stuff and exhaust came on at the same time.

Next time around; I'm getting FRPP wires.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I've always heard and had good experiences with MSD on fox cars. I won't even try them on modular just from reading stories.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I have MSD packs and not sure what to say of them. My mileage has been decreasing drastically lately and I cannot find the problem. I might throw the stock packs back on and see if anything changes.

Oh and I run the MSD wires; never heard anything good of them but they seem okay.

Although I will state that my car backfires each gear I shift hard into, and most of the time you can see a little bit of flames. Seems like its running super rich all of a sudden, or has been since the MSD stuff and exhaust came on at the same time.

Next time around; I'm getting FRPP wires.

Ya my car makes a pop sound when I shift sometimes and there are flames that come out. There's a vid on YouTube of it lol

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Ya my car makes a pop sound when I shift sometimes and there are flames that come out. There's a vid on YouTube of it lol

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Same story here. I've got a vid from the track that you is clearly visible. I think i've seen your video lol was it when you raced svtpile?

When I had the bama tunes on that never happened but the SCT took a poo on me and SCT is no help.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Had a stock coil pack go bad a few years ago and replaced them with the MSD pieces. Never any issues here and there isn't any difference as far as performance, but it seems like they're hit-or-miss...if you need to replace, I'd stick with the OE cp's.

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
I have their "top of the line" programmable shift light and its a huge piece of shit. Made from cheap plastic, and the light is so dull that even at max brightness I miss it during sunny track days.

Users who are viewing this thread