Are there any jag officers on here

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Alright so I spoke with my boss about this to get his take (all my bosses are retired field grades or stars). You basically have two options.

First as the SGM said you can go to her Company First Sergeant. He will take it to the CSM who will likely take it to the BCO and get the ball rolling that way. This option runs the risk of it getting swept under the rug if she is well liked in her unit.

You can go to base legal where they will intiate their own investigation. At this point they will either advise you to get civilian counsel (which you should already have if you are getting divorced) or they will tell you that no further action is required on your part as it is a military matter. This option will not get swept under the rug.

Either way his advice was to at least speak to cilivian counsel. As you are not subject to the UCMJ, the fact that you have knowledge of her fraud and are on a joint account does open you to legal action from the military. So cover your ass.

A little more info about your situation would be helpful. In my unit almost everything was just handed off to jag unless it was something a Page 11 would take care of.

This is precisely why I'm disgusted with the military. This shit happens more often than not. It's a buddy system where true justice is never served, and higher ups cover for each other.
Disgusts me.

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This is precisely why I'm disgusted with the military. This shit happens more often than not. It's a buddy system where true justice is never served, and higher ups cover for each other.
Disgusts me.

the thing is they look at the time and money invested in training the officer/nco/soldier on top of getting security clearances. It is not cheap and if they contribute even a little to the unit, no one has to take up their slack.

yeah it sucks like that. But you do try and take care of your team, it builds confidence in your unit.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
the thing is they look at the time and money invested in training the officer/nco/soldier on top of getting security clearances. It is not cheap and if they contribute even a little to the unit, no one has to take up their slack.

yeah it sucks like that. But you do try and take care of your team, it builds confidence in your unit.

Ok, I understand to an extent, but I just had a guy have sex with a 15 year old in my Plt and another that's now in my squad get arrested for criminal trespassing among the numerous other things. These guys do not deserve to be here. They are a burden and must go. I run things on the basis that I'm running my own company and if I was a business owner an individual who breaks the law in such a manner as I stated and also what the OP insinuated would not last one day once I found out. We are not like the federal government and should not be corrupt as such, but that's essentially what we're doing when we allow people to slip by on their wrongdoings. If this the accepted behavior because we are now at the point where we're weighing the financial burden then we as the military have a serious problem.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ok, I understand to an extent, but I just had a guy have sex with a 15 year old in my Plt and another that's now in my squad get arrested for criminal trespassing among the numerous other things. These guys do not deserve to be here. They are a burden and must go. I run things on the basis that I'm running my own company and if I was a business owner an individual who breaks the law in such a manner as I stated and also what the OP insinuated would not last one day once I found out. We are not like the federal government and should not be corrupt as such, but that's essentially what we're doing when we allow people to slip by on their wrongdoings. If this the accepted behavior because we are now at the point where we're weighing the financial burden then we as the military have a serious problem.

I also added time and unit cohesion, not just money. Our people are the single resource we cannot backfill overnight. A good effort to salvage someone is just due diligence.

The sex with kids? I am sure he must be going through all kinds of pre-trail and discharge procedures, it is not an overnight process. Probably some Psych treatment too. One thing we should do is throw broken toys back into society, at least an attempt to help them before they become Civil America's problem.

evolve

Established Member
I would still go for first sergeant, he may hate officers. LOL!

This.:rockon: On a serious note, if she is an officer, talk to her superior (department head or executive officer, who by the way is the one that "handles" junior officers). If you talk to her senior, it will be addressed. OR, use the military fraud line:
http://www.dodig.mil/HOTLINE/hotlinecomplaint.html

Your welcome :)

Last edited:

saleensc281

Established Member
We are not like the federal government and should not be corrupt as such, but that's essentially what we're doing when we allow people to slip by on their wrongdoings.

The problem is the military is a function of the government, thus by default is corrupt. The military is by no means a fair and just system. You just have to hope the unit you are in has good leadership, leadership you can emulate and pass on to your junior Soldiers.

The other issue is the Army has changed a lot over the years, with a lot of the change stemming from the OIF and OEF campaigns. With the drawdown of Soldiers, I am hoping the military can weed out some of the "dirt bags".

Another issue is the military does not have one standard, namely when it comes UCMJ. All ranks are not held to the same standard. Case in point a lower enlisted Soldier gets slammed for Sexual Assualt, but a senior offier gets a rap on the knuckles and is able to retire as a O-6 instead of an O-7. Sorry to say the military is a corrupt and unjust system.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I also added time and unit cohesion, not just money. Our people are the single resource we cannot backfill overnight. A good effort to salvage someone is just due diligence.

The sex with kids? I am sure he must be going through all kinds of pre-trail and discharge procedures, it is not an overnight process. Probably some Psych treatment too. One thing we should do is throw broken toys back into society, at least an attempt to help them before they become Civil America's problem.

It has been a long process to get him to NJP which I'm not even sure is going to happen. But as for the rest, nope. He's even on deployment with us right now! I think they just brushed it off as a innocent mistake. I don't see it that way however. I understand on your level and unit there is a lot more time and money put into the guys there for training and schools, and they cannot just be replaced; I get that. On my level or in the basic fleet and infantry fleet there should be no leeway to serious crimes. If we could still beat the shit out of people then that would straighten up a lot of people but we can't. One of our best guys is about to get in trouble for posting up a picture of one of these shitbags on Facebook because the idiot had the rank for his khaki shirts sewn onto his alpha coat! And this is the idiot that got a criminal trespassing charge who hasn't even been charged yet for 2 other NJP'able offenses. It may be my unit but all my buddies in other units all over are saying the same thing. There's been a major slide in punishment and leadership. There's still great leaders out there but they are getting fewer. All these new strict rules are pushing the good guys out because they see how corrupt it is.

Sorry OP for the rant, but hopefully it will give you an idea of what you're dealing with cause I know you don't want this swept under the rug. Be smart about it.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
The problem is the military is a function of the government, thus by default is corrupt. The military is by no means a fair and just system. You just have to hope the unit you are in has good leadership, leadership you can emulate and pass on to your junior Soldiers.

The other issue is the Army has changed a lot over the years, with a lot of the change stemming from the OIF and OEF campaigns. With the drawdown of Soldiers, I am hoping the military can weed out some of the "dirt bags".

Another issue is the military does not have one standard, namely when it comes UCMJ. All ranks are not held to the same standard. Case in point a lower enlisted Soldier gets slammed for Sexual Assualt, but a senior offier gets a rap on the knuckles and is able to retire as a O-6 instead of an O-7. Sorry to say the military is a corrupt and unjust system.

That's especially bullshit! I've seen SNCOs get a slap on the wrist for DUIs while SGTs and below are screwed the rest of their career. I've seen and heard of guys geting DUIs or sexual assault, take the pay loss and stripped of duties, but then be allowed an early retirement. That just blows my mind.

twistid

Established Member
If shes commissioned why are you guys suggesting to talk to a First Shirt? For all you know her unit might not even have an assigned Shirt or any enlisted members.

OP, contact your base's CID or security police if you want to throw her under the bus.

jbs$

Established Member
If any of this is true, the first thing that you do is shut the f*** up and go get your self an Attorney. Not some traffic ticket chaser, but a seasoned defense attorney who will cost money and save your ass.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
If any of this is true, the first thing that you do is shut the f*** up and go get your self an Attorney. Not some traffic ticket chaser, but a seasoned defense attorney who will cost money and save your ass.

Dude had to start some where. First finger is pointed at his d-bag of a wife who obviously didn't I form him of all of his rights as a spouse. My wife knows everything she can do. She has my phone rosters and knows of all the services she is entitled to for free provided by the army: legal assistance, our shitty medical, counseling, mwr areas.... List goes on.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
This. CID is going to investigate... eventually. There might not be a big rush, after all, they know where she works.

OP, contact your base's CID or security police if you want to throw her under the bus.

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
Lets just say she defrauded the military out of a chunk of money and I am on the account that she used. I am wondering if I could be in trouble too even though I have nothing to do with the military or what she did.
I'm not sure how you do something like that but this sounds like a criminal case which should go to the Military Police who will likely pass it off to OSI/NCIS/CID if the amount is large enough. Your sworn statement and any proof you can provide should get the ball rolling. You should probably seek your own legal counsel though because they may try and take you down with her.

Your other route would be Fraud, Waste and Abuse through the IG, but unless you are military as well you might have trouble utilizing that option.

Both of these eliminate the chain of command from the investigative process and will prevent people from looking the other way.

Nothing against JAG/ADC but their advice sucks. They told one of my people, 'If you did it then you should admit to it to lessen the repercussions.' Sound advice but shitty legal advice.

Last edited:

tistan

Established Member
I did get advice from a jag attorney. I may be on the hook for half the money, but they can't get me for anything criminal. I just don't understand how they can come after me for the money when I didn't take it. Seems a bit unfair.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
I did get advice from a jag attorney. I may be on the hook for half the money, but they can't get me for anything criminal. I just don't understand how they can come after me for the money when I didn't take it. Seems a bit unfair.

didn't you say you're on the account she used? and you said you've known since February and just now saying something to throw her under the bus? what'd you expect?:shrug:

NEp8ntballer

Established Member

shared account, shared guilt. consider this as karma getting back at you for not coming clean about it when you first found out.

tistan

Established Member
shared account, shared guilt. consider this as karma getting back at you for not coming clean about it when you first found out.
At the time what was I supposed to do, throw my wife in jail? Things were going fine in our marriage at that point.

It was her account long before we got married. She added me to her accounts and I added her to mine. If I'm ever stupid enough to get married again, I will keep everything separate.

I threw her under the bus while we are still married because I already cashed out all my assets except my house which I just took a second mortgage on and cashed the equity. Only assets not sitting in a safe belong to her. When they come after the money, we are still married and we have not legally separated. They only money we show to pay it is in her name. If we are still married I don't see how they can come after us as individuals.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
If you knew she was defrauding the government long before now, I'd forget about this. You're asking for trouble.

At any rate, if your joint bank account with her was the beneficiary of this fraud, you're most certainly on the hook for restitution. I'm not sure how military justice works vs the civilian world, but I would check with a lawyer to make sure she can't point the finger at you claiming you were complicit in all of this, which it sounds like you were. If you're going to rat her out, I'm sure she'll have no problems pulling you under the bus with her if she gets the opportunity.

Again, you knew about this, you benefited from this - I think you're creating trouble for yourself in the name of ****ing her over. Just let it go and move on.

Last edited:

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
At the time what was I supposed to do, throw my wife in jail? Things were going fine in our marriage at that point.

It was her account long before we got married. She added me to her accounts and I added her to mine. If I'm ever stupid enough to get married again, I will keep everything separate.

I threw her under the bus while we are still married because I already cashed out all my assets except my house which I just took a second mortgage on and cashed the equity. Only assets not sitting in a safe belong to her. When they come after the money, we are still married and we have not legally separated. They only money we show to pay it is in her name. If we are still married I don't see how they can come after us as individuals.

you were still complicit up to the point it became more advantageous for your situation to throw her under the bus. Nowehere in your story did you say, "As soon as I found out about it I told her it was a bad idea and that she should give the money back."

Users who are viewing this thread