Are you freaking kidding me? I bought the wrong car!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Saturday, TWS, Track Guys event Jeff Lacina and Dell are putting on their usual pretty much flawless event. So I decide I have waited long enough and I'm healed up from my liver transplant so let's find out if my meds are going to effect my reactions OR NOT. The good news is they do not!!

So I signed up for the "trial event" where you do all the classroom stuff and get one session with an instructor in the trial group with no point bys.

I thought perfect! I won't get too tired and I will get to find out if I still "have it."

My Cobra is up on jack stands for a fuel filter:bash::burn:, so I signed up with the 04 SVT Focus daily beater.

HUGE THANK YOU TO JEFF and DELL for letting me run with are regular run group that allowed point bys!

Within two laps on 280 wear number Nitto full tread depth street radials I'm burning up turns at the same speeds as my Cobra on slicks!

And the tires are barely making any sounds! Like they are taunting me, "that as fast as you're gonna go?"

To those who have already turned a wheel at speed in an SVT Ford Focus, please forgive me, I did not know. Actually I had no freaking IDEA!:dw::shrug:

This car is practically stock and it's flying through the turns as fast or faster than the modded Cobra on DOT slicks!

I bought the WRONG 2004 SVT PRODUCT in march of 04 and did not really realize it until this Saturday!

Who knew???

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Jimmy:

I only have driven an SVT 2 dr Focus once. It could have used a bit more power, but I quickly found out if you keep the revs up and keep it on the 'pipe' (ricer biker speak) it doesn't do too bad! It has a longer wheel base than an SN-95 Mustang and it handles like it's on rails when it's totally stock. It was a fun 'test' ride. Just wasn't my cup-o-tea.

I did see an SVT Focus passing Terminators at the inaugural SVTOA event at Auto-Bahn Country Club in 2005 and it was pretty entertaining.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

racebronco2

Established Member
Jimmy glad you finally were able to get back on track. Those small cars are a blast to drive but like ac427 said they aren't my style of car. I am truly a muscle car guy.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I am thinking I will leave the muscle car for the street and use a car 1,000 pounds lighter to do more track events for way less money.

It does not appear that I am going to be using a slow car by doing so, these are not slow!

Tires, pads, gas and drive it to the track.
The track budget is now much more realistic.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
A bit of trivia, the suspension tuning on the SVT Focus was done by the same engineer as the 2000 Cobra R.

Sirl

Established Member
EdZ, on this forum, I believe he went from a Focus, to a 97 Cobra with truck and trailer, now, back to a Focus.

In my experience, I came from a 2006 Nissan Spec V, pretty much the same category as the Focus, 175 hp, 2600 lbs. TONS of fun, unfortunately, I never got any track times at my local track, so, I cant compare to my Mustang, but what I can say, is that it was every bit of fun as the Mustang is.

Drop a Jackson blower in an SVT Focus, and you have yourself a kick ass street/track car.

I like the 4 door version..

Guy in my neighborhood has an Orange one that I've been eyeballing...

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Wow...Faster than the cobra in slicks?!?! Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to try one out myself!:burnout:

racebronco2

Established Member
I know i can drive a slower car (under 200hp) closer to the limit then a faster car to the limit. I guess it's becasue the much higher speeds involved. I know the tracks i go to there is no way i could drive a underpowered car (under 200hp) faster then i can drive my cobra.
The smaller cars are very tossible and predictable.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I know i can drive a slower car (under 200hp) closer to the limit then a faster car to the limit. I guess it's becasue the much higher speeds involved. I know the tracks i go to there is no way i could drive a underpowered car (under 200hp) faster then i can drive my cobra.
The smaller cars are very tossible and predictable.

Faster through the corner, not faster around the track. I am sure the over all lap times are still lower with the Cobra.

I enter turn one braking zone at TWS at about 135 with the Cobra, I was entering it at about 120 with the SVT Focus. That is an indication of top speed reached on the long straight.

If I put a set of NT01s, or Kuhmo 710s on the Focus I'll bet my lap times will be very close and my tires and brakes are going to last much longer.

I expected this car to do well with the turns, I just did not expect it to do as well as it did.

Also the impact of the higher corner exit speeds was HUGE!

Carlos, if you get a student show up with an SVT Focus, see if he will let you give him a sample lap, the grip is mind boggling!

I am really jazzed right now!:banana::dancenana::pepper::rockon:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
my roommate daily drives an SVT 2dr focus- it's a fun little car. I like his porsche turbo better but for DD it's a blast to drive.

Sirl

Established Member
Jimmy,
Your only learning what Miata guys have known for years!

Get a blown Miata, and have some fun!

Momentum cars are FUN!!!

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy,
Your only learning what Miata guys have known for years!

Get a blown Miata, and have some fun!

Momentum cars are FUN!!!

I'm tempted to put a Jackson on this SVT.
I really don't mind the front wheel drive seeing as SVT dialed in the balance just right.

A rear drive Miata would be nice but I hate verts, and I'm a Ford guy anyway.
I was thinking about buying a Spec Miata roller with blown engine and putting in a 2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6, just for kicks and track events.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Great that you were able to get back out there, Jimmy. I'm really glad to hear that.

Be careful about being tempted to boost it. Our friend with one ran 2 years of track events successfully, but when he ran off and hit a tire wall, he added a blower during the rebuild. He went two years without finishing an event, and has spent thousands in repairs. Blowby was the big issue. He kept oiling the track when his catch can overflowed.He wishes he had kept it stock.

And I'll keep you posted on what I do, thanks for the link.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Front wheel drive cars tend to be a blast at the track .. I'll have to try it out one of these days

David Hester

Established Member
Glad to hear you're back!
HU0L7149.jpg
HU0L6077.jpg

That was me second from the back. Passed all the way up to the 944, a PCA driver. I could catch him in the corners, but didn't try to pass, figuring he'd just take me on the long straights at VIR.
Followed him back to his paddock. Tractor trailer 2 level rig with Stuttgart decal on the side. Got out looking kind of dogged. Buddy asked him what was wrong. "I pushed a little too hard, couldn't shake the car behind me."
I walked up to shake his hand and said, "Man. That was fun. you going out next session?" Buddy looked at me, looked at the driver, looked at the Focus. Looked back at his driver. "That guy?" he says. His driver just shook his head and walked off. I drove off grinning. Guy in the M-5 came up later to see what was under the hood. Said he couldn't keep up. He was looking for a turbo or something.
Like a go-kart. Wish I still had it. And yes, they do even better with fresh Koni's and A-6's. ;-)
Greg knew Gary Kole. His WAS race preped. Fun cars, just no rumble.

Last edited:

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
The sooner you do it, the sooner you'll be saying "Why did I wait so long?". :banana:

I have a feelings that is exactly what will happen and i'm hoping that i'm now about 1.5 hours from VIR will help get me out there sooner

SVTPete83

Established Member
I had an svt focus I bought bran new in 2004. It was a great car. I put an eaton on it and it cranked out 240 to the wheels on 8 psi. That car was a monster in the corners! Best handling car I have ever owned.

wheelhopper

Established Member
The new Focus ST has had me tempted, but I read recently that the Focus RS may make its way to our shores. With 305hp I'll be watching this one. I would be sold if they made an AWD option.

Users who are viewing this thread