Are you guys (or gals) passing inspection with a tune?

buddha93

Established Member
Not to be a debbie downer, but that whole driving thing rarely, if ever works. Scroll up a few posts and give Pete at Performance Dyno call.

Performance Dyno

I've heard nothing but good things about the guy, and this monitor readiness thing is one of his specialties.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
Not to be a debbie downer, but that whole driving thing rarely, if ever works. Scroll up a few posts and give Pete at Performance Dyno call.

Performance Dyno

I've heard nothing but good things about the guy, and this monitor readiness thing is one of his specialties.
Dude! I was trying to Google his info and call to see if he can help me out for a fee! Ty for linking!

buddha93

Established Member
Your lucky, your close. If anyone can get it to pass, it's him. PM me back if he's able to get you going. I reached out to him a ways back, going to try and get him to work with my tuner remotely.

I've been told Lund can get them to pass as well with cats in place. Lot going on the in tuning world and EPA.........

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
Your lucky, your close. If anyone can get it to pass, it's him. PM me back if he's able to get you going. I reached out to him a ways back, going to try and get him to work with my tuner remotely.

I've been told Lund can get them to pass as well with cats in place. Lot going on the in tuning world and EPA.........
He won't do anything remote wise? I called but they are closed right now. I will call first thing in the morning on Monday. Everything I'm reading is that he and his partner are awesome! Shop looks nice too!

buddha93

Established Member
That would be a question for them. The monitors that are still not passing with your car is super common, exact same ones on my car as well. Car drives perfect, everything turned on, zero MIL's. I wouldn't even waste my time trying the driving cycles.

HPLouis

Established Member
The drive cycles worked for me and someone else on this forum:
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/catalyst-monitor-will-not-set.1197719/ (they also work for the millions of other cars that have to pass emissions).

I'm not saying that Pete is not an expert but I'm betting that Pete isn't going to work for free. Also, the OP just stated that he won't work remote so now, he'll have to get on Pete's schedule and drive up to NH (Poughkeepsie, NY to Loundon, NH is 247 miles....4 hours one way). Why not try something free first before you dip into your pocket and pay someone or drive half a workday? Now, if you call him and he'll sit there and troubleshoot with you for free, then go for it.

Last edited:

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
The drive cycles worked for me and someone else on this forum:
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/catalyst-monitor-will-not-set.1197719/ (they also work for the millions of other cars that have to pass emissions).

I'm not saying that Pete is not an expert but I'm betting that Pete isn't going to work for free. Also, the OP just stated that he won't work remote so now, he'll have to get on Pete's schedule and drive up to NH (Poughkeepsie, NY to Loundon, NH is 247 miles....4 hours one way). Why not try something free first before you dip into your pocket and pay someone or drive half a workday? Now, if you call him and he'll sit there and troubleshoot with you for free, then go for it.
I'm going to try this out first then if I feel I need more help I will reach out to Pete. My car is exactly the way I want it and the way I want it to 1/4. Just need this done and was at witz end before this group. Ty both!

buddha93

Established Member
Never said he was gonna work for free. I would drive 4 hours in a heartbeat to resolve the issue. Small price to pay for a car that passes to you get it plated and not have to worry about getting pulled over for expired tags.

Wicks got 1000 miles under his belt already, trying yet another OBDII drive cycle trick ain't gonna get it. Once the parmeters are right, just driving the car normally for 50 miles or less kicks them over to green..............just like OEM. Getting there is the secret sauce.

That said, hope the 5th gear thing works for ya.

Last edited:

fearthesnake

Established Member
I just can't believe States still force this test, talk about State Govts still living in the 70s/80s.

Guess its just a cash cow and can't move on.

HPLouis

Established Member
Never said he was gonna work for free. I would drive 4 hours in a heartbeat to resolve the issue. Small price to pay for a car that passes to you get it plated and not have to worry about getting pulled over for expired tags.

Wicks got 1000 miles under his belt already, trying yet another OBDII drive cycle trick ain't gonna get it. Once the parmeters are right, just driving the car normally for 50 miles or less kicks them over to green..............just like OEM. Getting there is the secret sauce.

That said, hope the 5th gear thing works for ya.

What you're saying is understandable. It just pisses me off to read stuff like this, especially since I went through it and it cost me a lot of time and I was ready to sell the car. I'm emissions ready and just reading this thread again pisses me off and makes me want to sell the car!

You are right. I posted the screenshot from the SCT software and the parameters can be adjusted. If I ever retune my car, I know what I need to do to get it to pass, I'm not doing the 600 miles crap again.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
Bj has the highest level for sct too. I just dont understand that he wouldn't know how or what to do unless he just doesn't want to. I really appreciate what he has done tuning wise for the car and didn't expect to have any problems at all with emissions.

buddha93

Established Member
What you're saying is understandable. It just pisses me off to read stuff like this, especially since I went through it and it cost me a lot of time and I was ready to sell the car. I'm emissions ready and just reading this thread again pisses me off and makes me want to sell the car!

Ya man, I get it. Sucks when you make all the efforts to be legal by running factory cats, spending money on the high dollar green cats, etc. and get hung up on two friggin' monitors that the computers isn't happy with. Cars run cleaner than those damn diesels running around blowing black smoke like a frggin' coal train.

I've got a car in my garage now over a year and half and still no-go on the the monitors.

HPLouis

Established Member
Bj has the highest level for sct too. I just dont understand that he wouldn't know how or what to do unless he just doesn't want to. I really appreciate what he has done tuning wise for the car and didn't expect to have any problems at all with emissions.
He does have the highest level of access but he has to be careful. Adjusting the emissions parameters is the sure fire way to have the EPA at your door, fining you and closing down your business. To be honest, there really shouldn't be a reason to mess with them.

HPLouis

Established Member
Ya man, I get it. Sucks when you make all the efforts to be legal by running factory cats, spending money on the high dollar green cats, etc. and get hung up on two friggin' monitors that the computers isn't happy with. Cars run cleaner than those damn diesels running around blowing black smoke like a frggin' coal train.

I've got a car in my garage now over a year and half and still no-go on the the monitors.

I would have been so pissed.......so, so pissed. I'm grinding my teeth right now reading about this.

buddha93

Established Member

You pretty much said it, SCT, not Ford programing straegies. Our local tuner has been tuning SCT longer than most, Moates, Holley.........he's done it all and even my car is being a PITA. Dude is nails. I've gotta go back for round two, just gotta make the time.

It's a fine line now too, tuners have the EPA breathing down their backs, so nobody is looking to get on their radar.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
You pretty much said it, SCT, not Ford programing straegies. Our local tuner has been tuning SCT longer than most, Moates, Holley.........he's done it all and even my car is being a PITA. Dude is nails. I've gotta go back for round two, just gotta make the time.

It's a fine line now too, tuners have the EPA breathing down their backs, so nobody is looking to get on their radar.
Agreed. Maybe put the stock intake back on and reflash to stock? Should work i think ?

buddha93

Established Member
Not sure of all your mods, but I've read of both CAI and high flow exhaust scewing with the monitor readiness and simply putting it back to stock worked.

Wish it was that easy for me, sitting with Stainless Works LT's and ain't no way I'm taking those off to put the factory stuff back on. :mad:

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
Not sure of all your mods, but I've read of both CAI and high flow exhaust scewing with the monitor readiness and simply putting it back to stock worked.

Wish it was that easy for me, sitting with Stainless Works LT's and ain't no way I'm taking those off to put the factory stuff back on. :mad:
Yea that is way to much for sure. I have the jlt 123 intake, mid pipe and magnaflow axle back exhaust. 2.4 pulley and frpp 65mm rb

Users who are viewing this thread