Arghghg! Tranny probs!

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Freakin', freak, freak, freak!!!! Frakin damn it!!

The 4R100 in my wife's Excursion went south tonight.

I'm so damn tapped out because I had to buy a new engine for the L, that my savings went by-by!

I may have to sell the polished KB 2.6 I picked up a few months back, to finance the tranny replacement for the Excursion.

Arghghghghg! Aint life fun??

Heh, oh well, praise God anyway!!

Stewart

S.O.B.

Sweet Old Bob!
Established Member
Hate hear about your misfortune. I guess it has happened to us all in one form or another. I remember when my son exploded the pump in his SD, not a good night. But he did bust a WRX through the first 3 gears! LOL

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Sorry to hear about all that. It seems like everything happens at once. I had to get my injectors replaced and some other stuff, just to have both batteries die on me today.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
As I already said how bad that sucks Stewart! Your wifes 7.3 will be good to go after the built trans.

I'm as far as I want to go with the PSD though, aside from a built trans and or/aftermarket converter on the stock trans.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Thanks guys.

I agree Pain, when it rains, it pours.

I just dropped a buttload of cash on a new engine for my L. Plus, I just sent my daughters Escape to the dealership to have the alternator replaced. THE ALTERNATOR!!

Why? Because Ford engineers, in their infinite wisdom, decided to put the alternator in a place where the front half shaft and intermediate axle need to be removed JUST TO GET TO THE ALTERNATOR!

I think I was 9 months old when I changed my first alternator, yet I had to send the Escape to the dealership because it's front wheel drive!

Ugh!

Tauk, after I get my John Wood tranny, I've decided to alter my plans regarding the mods planned for my wife's Excursion.

I had planned on upgrading the turbo to a QSSB, to go with some hybrid injectors and a Terminator big oil system. But now I think I'm going to limit myself to big oil and some better flowing injectors that will work well with my stock turbo.

Stewart

Last edited:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
You could always get one of those wicked wheels for your stock turbo. I don't think the even cost all that much either.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
You could always get one of those wicked wheels for your stock turbo. I don't think the even cost all that much either.

Already have one.

If you look at my sig in the first post, you'll see I have the 1.0 exhaust housing from BDP and a wicked wheel.

I've changed my plans from a modified H2E (QSSB) and some hot sticks that work well with towing, to a set of AC code injectors and a Garrett ball-bearing turbo.

With the AC's, I won't need a Big Oil HPOS, and I'll still pick up around 100hp.

The Garrett BB turbo should do well with those sticks too.

BTW, I love this JW tranny. This thing is smooth as glass with quick gear shifts while pulling my trailer very strongly.

Stewart

Last edited:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
If you look at my sig in the first post, you'll see I have the 1.0 exhaust hosuing from BDP and a wicked wheel.

Reading > Me:bash:.

If you don't mind me asking how much do the JW trannies run? I always hear everyone talk about SunCoast.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Hey Stewart, you've looked into the Turbonetics BB drop in too right? I got a friend that's using one, he likes it a lot as a drop in without having injectors or big oil.

Probably take more advantage over the turbo with slightly bigger injectors, etc. etc.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Reading > Me:bash:.

If you don't mind me asking how much do the JW trannies run? I always hear everyone talk about SunCoast.

Sorry about taking such a long time to respond. I've been without an internet connection since the beginning of January, and it was spotty at best from the end of December to the beginning of January.

I've switched to a cable modem now tho so all is good again.

JW custom makes his tranny's to fit your power levels and type of use, so his prices vary.

You should call and leave a message for him. He'll call you back and you can pick his brain, letting him know what you want and need and he'll get you a price.

I will say this, he doesn't claim to make perfect transmissions, and he'll be the first to tell you how some of his R & D idea's didn't work and the tranny came back, needing to be fixed, but he's got one of the best grips on building bullet proof 4R100's than anyone else you can post about!

He's also fixed a lot of "new" Suncoast transmissions over the years.

Stewart

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Hey Stewart, you've looked into the Turbonetics BB drop in too right? I got a friend that's using one, he likes it a lot as a drop in without having injectors or big oil.

Probably take more advantage over the turbo with slightly bigger injectors, etc. etc.

Yeah, nothing is set in stone, and when it comes time, I'll ramp up my research on the turbo's to help me decide which one will work best for my needs.

I have looked into both, but that's about all I've done. No extensive reading yet.

Stewart

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
If you don't mind due to my and some others' curiousity:

John Wood tranny...

Approximately what did it cost you for whatever specifications you went with?

Or better yet, What price range does a typical built 4R100 usually fall into?

Thanks!

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
The "basic" tranny from JW went up by $200 dollars a couple months before I pulled the trigger due to a $200 dollar price increase on the converter.

That being said, I told John the Excursion is my wife's daily driver and is used to pull a travel trailer that topped out right around 10K lbs, and a 4-horse bumper pull that weighed in at right around 7K lbs, fully loaded.

With my mods, and my future planned mods (some hotter injectors and a turbo upgrade), John said his "basic" built tranny, with custom built and custom machined parts, would handle anything I could throw at it, including foot-brake launches at a drag strip.

The tranny cost right around $3,500 installed. My total cost was a bit more, but that's because I had some extra stuff done by John that increased my total bill.

Stewart

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to check out his site and get in contact with him.

I am just trying to get an idea on the prices for things, so when the finally let go I have a decent idea about price and what not.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Guys, I'm telling you, when I was there and JW was describing to me the custom machining he does to the guts of the tranny, and why he does it, you'd never even consider a mass produced, off the shelf, supposedly "built" transmission. Especially when he explains some of the inherent problems these other mass produced tranny's have, because the "hard parts" are still in stock form, without any custom machining.

When you watch him tear open three different tranny rebuild washer packs to get certain washers from each packet, then throws the rest away because he say's they're inadequate, you'll understand even more.

When he shows you the snap rings he pulls from the other mass produced "built" tranny's that don't hold up, then shows you the custom, specifically made snap rings he uses, and why he uses them, you'll really understand.

Stewart

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Sorry to hear about all that. It seems like everything happens at once. I had to get my injectors replaced and some other stuff, just to have both batteries die on me today.
Not trying to change the subject, but if my pickup sits for a week or two out comes the charger. I have one remainging 8 y/o factory battery:burn:

Users who are viewing this thread