ARP rear wheel studs install

MAMBA83

Established Member
Hey guys Im new on here so I figured I finally add a little something and figure out how threads or done on here. I recently installed some most needed rear wheel ARP studs to my terminator and figured Ill share the install. hope this helps for some that been wanted to due this install.

Here's the difference between the stock wheel studs and the ARP studs.
IMG_0028.jpg

Here's the difference between ARP and Moroso wheel studs. I prefer ARP due to the fact that the knurl at the bottom of the wheel stud is more close to the stock wheel stud, it supports the rotor more and installs way smoother.
IMG_0013.jpg

Remove the rear wheels and expose the rear brake assemblies.
IMG_0008.jpg

Remove the 2 12mm bolts at the back of the calipers. 2 bolts for each assembly.
IMG_0016.jpg

Pry up the caliper from the rotor and the caliper bracket and set aside.
IMG_0017.jpg

Next remove the 2 15mm bolts at the back of the caliper brackets and remove the brackets with the brake pads.
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Then remove the brake rotors
IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Next I used an air hammer to remove the stock wheel studs.
IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

I like to install anti-seze on the wheel studs to protect the threads and for the stud installing tool to press in the studs smoothly. Note before installing the wheel studs try to line up the knurl grooves with the grooves in the stud holes on the hubs. You can do this by turing the stud in the hole and feeling the grooves line up.
IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Reinstall all removed parts in reverse order and torque to correct specs. I used a small amout of blue loctite for the caliper bracket bolts and caliper bolts.
IMG_0007.jpg

Reinstall the wheels and torque wheel lugs to specs. I picked up a set of Billet specialties lugs and set of ford tall wheel locks to comp for the longer wheel studs.
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

these are all the tools I used for the job.
IMG_0041.jpg

Last edited:

MAMBA83

Established Member
Thanx 03mgtermi, I see u jus installed Bruce's IRS bushing kit, sweet! How you liking it? Im looking on doing a full IRS rebuild within the next month or two and was wondering about Bruce's kit.

MAMBA83

Established Member
Thanx Gabe1530, its totally worth the peace of mind and it will definitely help out later in the future when I decide to move up in tire size.

krazyazian

Established Member
Excellent write-up! I've been looking for a detailed write-up to see if I wanted to try to tackle this project.

You don't by chance have the part numbers for the lugs do you?

Last edited:

MAMBA83

Established Member
Excellent write-up! I've been looking for a detailed write-up to see if I wanted to try to tackle this project.

You don't by chance have the part numbers for the lugs do you?

Hey krazy, sorry I actually dont have the part number but you can find them at Billet Specialties and order them through there. On the main page just go to wheels on the lower left, then to wheel accessories and to ET street lugs. there about 20 bucks plus shipping and tax.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
I just got ARP's and am installing them right now and they don't look like that. What is the part number you got? The knurl on mine go all the way to the end of the shoulder. They are what Lethal said are the ones for my car and what ARP lists as correct for it in their catalog. 100-7703. I put up another post saying these are wrong and it looks like you have the right ones, 100-7723 and they cost quite a bit more ;)

Last edited:

MAMBA83

Established Member
I just got ARP's and am installing them right now and they don't look like that. What is the part number you got? The knurl on mine go all the way to the end of the shoulder. They are what Lethal said are the ones for my car and what ARP lists as correct for it in their catalog. 100-7703. I put up another post saying these are wrong and it looks like you have the right ones, 100-7723 and they cost quite a bit more ;)

Hey blk04snake, sorry for the late response. I do remember seeing the ARP's that Lethal has and I think they where around 20 buck... it didnt seem right so I had a friend how deals with ARP look into it and he found those guys the 100-7723. I did spend about 200 smacker for the 10 but well worth it... I should of posted the the part numbers, my fault. Did you end up installing lethals studs?

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
I also wanted to know if the difference in knurl size .625 for the 100-7703 and .614 for the 100-7723 will be a problem. OP - have you had any problems at all with the studs turning from removing/torqueing?

MAMBA83

Established Member
IMG]
IMG_0033.jpg
[/IMG][IMG]http://i52

what kind of tool is this?[/quote]

Sorry for the delay response... that tool is for pressing in the studs into your wheel hub.. there are different styles of that tool but that is the most commen. You can find it at snap-on dealer, mac tool, matco, sears or even some auto parts stores, just ask for a wheel stud installer.. good luck :beer:

MAMBA83

Established Member
I also wanted to know if the difference in knurl size .625 for the 100-7703 and .614 for the 100-7723 will be a problem. OP - have you had any problems at all with the studs turning from removing/torqueing?

I mentioned the tool I used above and on the .625 knurl size you will have to slightly widen the stud hole for the bigger knurl size and with the .614 they fit perfect, no problem with them spinning at all with the .614 knurl..

MAMBA83

Established Member
i put the 625's in without issue, no need widen hole

correct you dont have to widen the hole but when I tried putting in the black moroso .625 shown above without cleaning out the hole it wore down my tool and the impact worked a lot more harder. so I backed it out and then ended up buying the ARP'S which fit perfect. It didnt seem right to me when I was installing the one moroso .625 stud when thiers a great amount of stress on the tools, the stud and on the hub when installing it.. but thats my opinion.

krazyazian

Established Member
correct you dont have to widen the hole but when I tried putting in the black moroso .625 shown above without cleaning out the hole it wore down my tool and the impact worked a lot more harder. so I backed it out and then ended up buying the ARP'S which fit perfect. It didnt seem right to me when I was installing the one moroso .625 stud when thiers a great amount of stress on the tools, the stud and on the hub when installing it.. but thats my opinion.

Did mine at the beginning of the year with no issues thanks to Mamba's write-up! I bid and won the 7703's off Ebay for $15 so I said F-it and tried them. I did read about freezing the studs overnight and here's my judgment on it. On my 3rd stud an emergency came up so I had to drop the project for the night. The stud was a 1/4 of the way in. I returned to it Sunday and did notice that the stud was harder to pull in. Pulled the other studs from the freezer and they went in without a hitch. Take it for what it's worth...just what happened to me!

98WS6LS1

Established Member
Does anyone know of any lugs that are closed end that will fit over the longer studs? I have welds on right now but will be putting street wheels on and would prefer a closed lug for the back wheels which have longer studs.

MAMBA83

Established Member
Does anyone know of any lugs that are closed end that will fit over the longer studs? I have welds on right now but will be putting street wheels on and would prefer a closed lug for the back wheels which have longer studs.

Sorry wish I could help but an Idea that comes to mind is maybe give Jegs, Summit or the wheel manufacture a call and ask them if they have anything available in a closed acorn style lug nut for a long ( moroso, ARP, summit, etc ) wheel studs for your type of wheel set up.

Users who are viewing this thread