Asking age while applying for a job?

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I was browsing CL when I saw a job that I was interested, so I shot them an email. In the ad, they mentioned that they wanted to know the applicants age.

So, as a PS I added that it was illegal to ask for an applicants age. This was his/her response:

Prior to receipt of an application and prior to interviewing job candidates, there is no legality (or ILlegality) involved in asking an applicant's age. Whether it is provided or not is the option of the prospective applicant. Age is not necessarily a likely bar from employment in this particular case, unless the applicant is under age 18, in which case the immediate laws (Wisconsin and City of Green Bay) would prohibit such employ.

So who is right? And yes, I know responding the way I did definitely didn't help me haha.

hunterp

Established Member
Not technically illegal to ask your age or date or birth for the purposes of a background check or as they say confirming that you're of a legal age to work full time. Using it for other purposes can enter into some murky ground.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Uh actually you can ask for the applicants age. Its perfectly legal.

It does, however, open the door for age discrimination issues if the person is older or younger and they don't get hired.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
Nothing wrong with asking for ages. Employers know for a fact that generally speaking younger people tend to lack work ethic so hiring an older person would be the route to take.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

It does, however, open the door for age discrimination issues if the person is older or younger and they don't get hired.

I like this answer. I give it a 9.5 :D

yellowbra

Established Member
well it looks like you need to start looking for a different job, cause you might as well forget this one. Because every single app. I have ever filled out has asked for DOB.

canibus

Established Member
I love it when people pull the "That's Illegal card", without having any clue as to wether it is or isn't. Sounds like the OP got PWNED!

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member

Upon some searching, this is what I've found. I guess during the interview they can't ask your age? IDK, not sure why. Got that from this:

Employers should not ask about any of the following, because to not hire a candidate because of any one of them is discriminatory:

* Race
* Color
* Sex
* Religion
* National origin
* Birthplace
* Marital/family status

Got it from this website: here

well it looks like you need to start looking for a different job, cause you might as well forget this one. Because every single app. I have ever filled out has asked for DOB.

I honestly don't remember. I was in the Army for the past five years, and have now been in school. So I honestly don't remember about filling out applications :shrug:

I love it when people pull the "That's Illegal card", without having any clue as to wether it is or isn't. Sounds like the OP got PWNED!

Yea, I was wrong. It happens.

ha ha ha..some people...

That's me.

CosworthRS

DemonicGraphix
Established Member
Do you really need to hide your age from someone you are trying to get a job from? Or were you just trying to argue with the employer. Chances are you made it a lot more difficult for you to get a job there. I think they need to know in case a minor was applying.

ff500

Established Member
It is illegal to ask someone their age, you can ask someone if they are 18 or older though, this is in Mass. I'm pretty sure its the same throughout the Country.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
thats not even a legit posting likely. Anytime they respond and tell you to go here and fill this out, or such, its bogus.

real CL job postings, theyll call you back.

bluestang41505

Established Member
The real answer it depends. Took business law as an undergrad. If it requires you to be a certain age, like serving alcohol they, have to ask you to protect there own ass from the government. For an example when it is illegal, say you are a young girl round mid 20's and go in for an interview, if they ask you blatantly how old are you it is illegal, if they ask do you have a boyfriend, do you plan on getting married, are you married, etc, etc. They try to figure these questions out without being direct, so they know if your gonna have a kid, and have to take time off and get maternity leave with pay.... sad but all true. Remember though its not exactly what they ask, more how they ask it...

Quote: This is 100% correct basically right out of the texbook.
Employers should not ask about any of the following, because to not hire a candidate because of any one of them is discriminatory:

* Race
* Color
* Sex
* Religion
* National origin
* Birthplace
* Marital/family status

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Ok. Some people need to learn to read and comprehend things better.

It is not illegal to ask age of the candidate.

Employers should not ask about any of the following

I highlighted a word. The way it is used is a SUGGESTION not the law.

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
Obviously they have to know how old you are.
You have to be so old to even work first of all.
Then there are age requirements for a number of different jobs. Like serving booze, Driving company vehicles, ect.

Users who are viewing this thread