Asking price advice

prs97

Established Member
The wife is getting an upgraded whip which means my current daily is likely going up for sale.

Thoughts on what I should ask for it?

1996 Chevy Monte Carlo.
37,000 original miles. It was a little old lady's car & in the family since new
Burgundy over grey interior
3.1 liter V6
Everything works on it
No damage inside or out. A few scuffs in the paint but overall I'd say it's a 9/10 for its age
Been maintained. Has fairly new tires, new battery, & fresh fluids
Runs and drives good

This isn't my car but looks like this one but with different wheels from the factory-

I'd love to the the $9K he's asking but figure that number is rather optimistic.

Thanks in advance.

prs97

Established Member
Thanks Bob.

I ran the VIN through a few of those sites. Was just curious to get some more data.

jrandy

Established Member
Thanks Bob.

I ran the VIN through a few of those sites. Was just curious to get some more data.

My understanding of places like Carvana and Carmax is that they are difficult to price accurately for older vehicles. Newer cars are easy, but I'd take both of those places with a grain of salt.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
My understanding of places like Carvana and Carmax is that they are difficult to price accurately for older vehicles. Newer cars are easy, but I'd take both of those places with a grain of salt.
Yup. And they prefer newer cars(within a certain time frame from current year) from what I was told in the past when I would get their offer.
Cars that don't meet their criteria they lowball.

I would list it for $8,500 or even $9,000 per the ad you listed and see what offers you get.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It'll be too old for Carvana or Carmax.

I think it sells for $7500.

87lc2

Established Member
I doubt someone would hand you more than $5k for it. I appreciate stuff like this more than anyone, but if its a 4-Door with the 3.1 nobody is going to pay good money for it, someone will just want it for their kids first car. If it was a 2-door Z34 with the DOHC 3.4 maybe you'd get $7-8k.

I'm always buying cheap stuff from this era. Latest is a 2003 Park Avenue Ultra with 43k from original owner, paid $4500 a month ago.

I always start high (especially if its not hurting you sitting there) so I'd say $7k OBO and go from there. Best of luck, hope you get as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread