At home dry aged steaks

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Ordered some Umai bags to dry age some ribeye. Picked up a 13.5lb prime boneless ribeye roast and cut it in half. One is going to be 35 day dry aged and the other is going to be 60 day.

Never had a true dry aged ribeye. So I’m looking forward to some good steaks. What have you done?

Edit: T-minus 33 days for the first set of steaks.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I've been wet aging venison for the last several years with excellent results. Quartered up, store on ice in cooler for a couple weeks. Very tender, very good eats.
I'll have to research dry aging.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Pic for attention
IMG_1601.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

quad

Established Member
Biltong is very popular in South Africa. Tastes amazing if done right and antelope meat especially is very tasty - Kudu, Springbok and Wildebeest etc.

Biltong - Wikipedia

Biltong is a form of dried, cured meat that originated in Southern African countries (South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia). Various types of meat are used to produce it, ranging from beef and game meats to fillets of meat cut into strips following the grain of the muscle, or flat pieces sliced across the grain. It is related to beef jerky in that they are both spiced, dried meats; however, the typical ingredients, taste and production processes may differ.

The word biltong is from the Dutch bil ("buttock”") and tong ("strip" or "tongue").[1]

0444-BEEF-BILTONG-500g-e1471957916456.jpg

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Biltong is very popular in South Africa. Tastes amazing if done right and antelope meat especially is very tasty - Kudu, Springbok and Wildebeest etc.

Biltong - Wikipedia

Biltong is a form of dried, cured meat that originated in Southern African countries (South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia). Various types of meat are used to produce it, ranging from beef and game meats to fillets of meat cut into strips following the grain of the muscle, or flat pieces sliced across the grain. It is related to beef jerky in that they are both spiced, dried meats; however, the typical ingredients, taste and production processes may differ.

The word biltong is from the Dutch bil ("buttock”") and tong ("strip" or "tongue").[1]

View attachment 1577221
You lost me at butt tongue.

ZEN357

Established Member
I just bought a Black Angus cow from a guy who raises cattle that I work with and they our only grain fed, no steroids, anti-biotics, etc..... Ended up with 360 lbs of really good meat for $3 per pound. :) Took two chest freezers but we are good for the next year and half! :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I love Black Angus beef! I wish I had two chest freezers full like yours to use for the next year and a half. Yum!!

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
Ordered some Umai bags to dry age some ribeye. Picked up a 13.5lb prime boneless ribeye roast and cut it in half. One is going to be 35 day dry aged and the other is going to be 60 day.

Never had a true dry aged ribeye. So I’m looking forward to some good steaks. What have you done?

Edit: T-minus 33 days for the first set of steaks.
I can't wait to hear how they turn out. I've never done it myself...I always just let the butcher do the dry aging for me.

ZEN357

Established Member
I love Black Angus beef! I wish I had two chest freezers full like yours to use for the next year and a half. Yum!!

Last year we bought half a cow. It hung for 4 week. We ended up with 168 pounds of meat for $3. It was great. This time we bought the whole cow at $3 a pound but we let it hang for 5 1/2 weeks. What a difference a week and a half made. The meat tastes even better. My wife was a butcher for three years in her early life so she has a great understanding of meats, cutting/butchering, and curing. The Ribeyes we had for the first time last week and they were amazing. All the steaks aside from the filets have the bone in them which greatly enhances the flavor. The processing place loves to deal with my wife because she knows how she wants everything cut and packaged and makes their life so much easier according to them. My Step-Son is going hunting this year and hopefully will get a deer or two which will keep us stocked for a long time. We will just have to buy another freezer.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Last year we bought half a cow. It hung for 4 week. We ended up with 168 pounds of meat for $3. It was great. This time we bought the whole cow at $3 a pound but we let it hang for 5 1/2 weeks. What a difference a week and a half made. The meat tastes even better. My wife was a butcher for three years in her early life so she has a great understanding of meats, cutting/butchering, and curing. The Ribeyes we had for the first time last week and they were amazing. All the steaks aside from the filets have the bone in them which greatly enhances the flavor. The processing place loves to deal with my wife because she knows how she wants everything cut and packaged and makes their life so much easier according to them. My Step-Son is going hunting this year and hopefully will get a deer or two which will keep us stocked for a long time. We will just have to buy another freezer.
I wish I knew of a place to get a half cow, that 13.5lb ribeye cost $202. Would save a shit ton of money on meat if I could get it for $3 a lb

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I wish I knew of a place to get a half cow, that 13.5lb ribeye cost $202. Would save a shit ton of money on meat if I could get it for $3 a lb

No way you will get quality meat for $3/lb.

I just bought a small steer from my wife's uncle last year. 600 lb steer. After processing it came out to about $7.50/lb. We got most of it done in hamburger. Got about 160 lbs of burger and 30 lbs of steak. Yield was a bit low because we specifically told the processor no gristle in the burger. These are free range in New Mexico. Best damn burgers and tacos I've ever had with this meat. They are not prime beef. For prime steak you're gonna pay but it would still be cheaper than HEB or other market.

Dimitri318

Established Member
How exactly did you age it? Did you put any spices or anything in it before or did you just vacuum seal it and stick in a refrigerator and leave it? I’ve always wanted to do it but I never got around to it. Do you maybe have a link to a website or YouTube channel that can show me exactly how to go about aging meat?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
How exactly did you age it? Did you put any spices or anything in it before or did you just vacuum seal it and stick in a refrigerator and leave it? I’ve always wanted to do it but I never got around to it. Do you maybe have a link to a website or YouTube channel that can show me exactly how to go about aging meat?
I essentially followed this () except I cut the ribeye in half to try 35 vs 60 day aging. So no I didn’t use any rub, just the bags (Dry Age Steak at Home | Charcuterie & Salumi Kits | UMAi Dry®) and the vacuum sealer. I’ve never had dry aged steak (to my knowledge), so this will be a completely different experience. I normally season my steak with olive oil, pepper, and a salt/truffle mixture. But for these I will only use the olive oil, pepper, flake salt. The salt/truffle mixture has a pretty strong taste to begin with, so I don’t want to overpower the dry aged taste. At least with the first set of steaks.

Edit: Gugafoods (already linked), , and are the channels I watch religiously. IIRC it is on Gugafoods that they do a bone marrow flavored pasta with steak topping. I tried it...holy shit was it ****ing amazing.

Last edited:

Dimitri318

Established Member
Awesome, thank you so much man, I’m gonna give this a try here soon. Post some updates when you finally get to try it out, would love to see how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread