Attention people with aftermarket Sway Bars or Hotchkis TVS... I need your help

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
There is a "how to" in the newest ford truck performance mag for the installation of the hotchkis total vehicle system. At the end, it shows a comparison picture of body roll before and after and there is a HUGE difference. I am wondering, are the sways the only thing that reduces the roll? or is it a combo of all things? I currently have an 01 L with a mild 1/2" drop. I would have gone with the TVS from the start, but I need to be able to tackle hills, etc, without worrying about bottoming out. I do, however, want to reduce some of the horrendous body role. Should I drop the 500 or so bucks on the Hotchkis front and rear kit (will I really be able to notice the difference on a DD truck?) AND if so, are they a pain to bolt on?

LONG STORY SHORT: are Hotchkis swaybars worth it if my only other suspension mod's are FRPP's 1/2" drop springs and shackles?

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I cant speak from first hand knowledge on an L...but adding just sways on my mustang helped handling like a mofo. In our application I cant see it doing anything but good for our trucks. Myself Id go for it, but if memory serves me right Hotchkis front sway and a Hellwig rear sway offer a damn good combo. But since you are going all in one...do it :)

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
thanks a bunch.... come on guys, i know that more than one of you can add something useful to this conversation

1s9v9t3

Established Member
sway bars should make the truck roll less, if that makes sense. I have the hotchkis front and rear springs and my truck still rolls. I need to get the sways asap. I say do it.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
It is a combination of everything together and Hotchkis offers a very well matched suspension kit. (shocks, springs, sway bars)
But I would say if you had to choose between sway bars and springs, the sway bars should be tried first. They will give you the better body roll control than just springs. Next would be shocks, Then the springs last.
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/anti_sways.htm
Some sway bar info from a very smart Lightning owner and road racer.

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
pitstain said:
Short answer: BUY HELLWIG FRONT AND REAR SWAYBARS !!

yeah that would be one way LOL
this is actually the same route Im looking at but with hotchkis leafs, front springs and shocks.

On a side note where the hell can I order the Hellwig bars anymore? Chickenears used to have them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread