Audi R18 "etron" diesel hybrid on the track. Listen to that engine...

JasonSnake

Established Member
First time I've ever seen a diesel engine in a track setting. The driver seems like he's fiercely shifting it to keep that engine in the narrow power range but sounds wicked from inside the cockpit. Skip to about 4:55 minutes.

[video=youtube;24cySS8UoeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24cySS8UoeA?t=4m55s[/video]

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The sound of the KERS winding up during braking is pretty eerie. I'd be scared shitless of that flywheel ripping apart and turning me and the car into a fine mist.

T.Man

Established Member
I like it! Diesels being used in race cars has always been intriguingly different for me

oldmodman

Established Member
If my Cobra ever sounded like that I would be looking for a broom and a dustpan to sweep up all the pieces of pistons and rods that would be all over the road.

That engine sounds like it is hammering itself to pieces.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely amazing sounds. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to actually drive. Great video!

JasonSnake

Established Member
Yeah, I love the "clapping" sounds from the engine at lower RPM's as he starts to accelerate again. Poor guy probably has sore thumbs by now from shifting every half a second during slow downs!

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
That's pretty awesome.

A little OT but this is still my all time favorite when it comes to sound...When the engine kicks on, it just sounds so demonic. For some reason it always reminds me of a P-51 strafe.

[video=youtube;eRECqhIZwIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRECqhIZwIA[/video]

Last edited:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Audi has been running a diesel in their Le Mans program for years now. They pretty much did all the research on it. What is funny is they run particulate filters on their race cars. The only time you see any smoke from the exhaust is when they are WOT or something breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread