auto cobras chime in

matt87

Established Member
hey guys i was just pondering this idea of swapping to an auto for my 03 cobra. i really dont care about shifting anymore, doesnt make me feel more macho or anything like that. the fast ls1 guys are mostly all auto too. anyways whats involved in this swap? links to anything helpful would be cool too! any idea what my 49k mile t-56 is worth with clutch? it has and mgw shifter with the silver handle, liberty 26 spline input shaft and a RXT twin disc clutch. what are the ford auto tranny options for these cars? what torque converters are good for a 500 hp street car? what shifters could be used besides the ugly one that comes in auto mach 1s and v6 stangs? any pointers would be great! thanks!

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
There are many options out there when switching out the T56 for an auto. I chose to stick with a 4R70W to maintain overdrive and keep it streetable. Theres also a lot of write-ups out there and this one is very popular...

Installing a 4R70W into a 03-04 Mustang Cobra - Modular Fords

I kept mine with a manual valve body and a center console shifter so the write up above is different then my set-up. I LOVE the auto swap and its the best mod ive done to my car!!!

Blackedout

Established Member
Best mod ever also there are a few shifter choices besides the stocker .... :beer: check out FB performance in long island great place to deal with...

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Still working on mine and i went with a 4R70W too. That write up is good except the wiring portion. Especially when it says to match all the wires from the T56 connector to the auto wiring harness. There are several wires that dont match up but i'm pretty sure needed.

I'm sticking to the auto doing the shifting but if someone has a better wiring write up, please let me know. Mines about 70% complete on the harness.

Last edited:

xsboosted

Established Member
I just had my 4r70w put in mine, hands down the best mod Ive ever done to a car. This thing is a blast to drive and shaved off a half a second from my et in an 8th mile without any tweaking yet. I went with freddy brown for everything and everything was installed by some local 275 racers that are good at what they do. Also Im running a quater stick shifter

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
I just had my 4r70w put in mine, hands down the best mod Ive ever done to a car. This thing is a blast to drive and shaved off a half a second from my et in an 8th mile without any tweaking yet. I went with freddy brown for everything and everything was installed by some local 275 racers that are good at what they do. Also Im running a quater stick shifter
Did you do a Manuel valve body?

Users who are viewing this thread